Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2020, 05:14 PM   #1
pixies4ever

Question Opinions on Outback 21 URS & TRS

Hi,

We're considering buying an Outback 21 manufactured between 2014 and 2018. I'm having a hard time finding reviews online as all I seem to find are the presentations from sales-people describing what they have in stock.

I was hoping folks in this forum, who currently own or have owned an Outback 21 in that age range, could tell me if they would recommend this model. And if you care to share some details, I'd love to know your experiences with:

1. Fit/Finish
2. Reliability (lots of repairs? leaking?)
3. Ease of regular maintenance
4. Component Quality (long lasting?)
5. Ease of towing

Thanks,

Marc
pixies4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:40 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Marc first welcome to the forum.

I don't know if anyone could accurately answer your question. If you are purchasing a used trailer anything anyone knows would be moot....whoever owned it would determine what it is....fit, finish, condition, reliability etc. Remember that "reliability" will depend 100% on who had it and what they did to maintain it. So, my recommendation would be to find "that" trailer and go over it with a fine tooth comb using recommendations from the forum. Maintenance on all RVs is about the same - it just varies on the size...sort of.

I'm sure others will chime in but IMO you need to find one and then discuss it specifically. It is very difficult to speculate on various units made over several years owned by who knows who.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:07 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Marc,

Welcome to the forum.

To try to answer some of your questions:

First, any used trailer is only as good as its previous owner allowed it to be.

That means, what you get is what he sells you. Maybe he kept it up, maybe he didn't, so any "reliability" in the form of water leaks, bearing/brake maintenance, towing issues (damage from high speed towing on rutted, bumpy roads, etc) and "hidden damage" can make a dream turn into a nightmare very quickly.

As for the equipment in any trailer, for the most part, they are all "industry standard appliances, heating/cooling equipment, Lippert or NORCO frames, Lippert axles and Chinese tires, so it doesn't matter which brand trailer you buy, they're all built with the same equipment.

Ease of maintenance is the same with any trailer. Repacking the wheel bearings, adjusting the brakes, sealing the roof is the same across the entire industry for conventional travel trailers.

Ease of towing has NOTHING (at all) to do with the trailer. That's all about what you put in front of it. Any trailer will be a disaster to tow with the wrong (undersized) tow vehicle and a dream to tow with a properly sized tow vehicle.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:57 PM   #4
fjr vfr

We had a 21rs Outback previously. It was older so I can't comment on yours directly but I will say that the Quality of ours was good. Here is a link to the Outback owners forum. You should be able to find a lot more info there.

https://www.outbackers.com/forums/index.php
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outback