Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2020, 09:25 AM   #1
jodipitbull

Black water deodorizer safe for septic field?

Hi,
I am planning to permanently set up my camper on a vacant property I bought in northern Michigan. I plan to set it up with solar, well for water, and septic field. I understand I need to fill the black water tank and empty it every four days or so, but have also read I can’t put chemicals in there that will kill the septic field bacteria. Does anyone know of any products I can put in the black water tank that will coexist happily in the septic field? Thanks!
jodipitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Most "deodorizers" are no more than perfume. Look at the labels, most will say "septic safe". Steer away from any "heavy" chemicals.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:57 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The key (for me) is to avoid any product with formaldehyde or other chemical that harms bacteria in the septic field. As for "enzymes to aid..." That's what the bacteria in the septic tank do, so just "protect them by not using formaldehyde" and you won't need any other enzymes.

Avoid grease/cooking oil in large quantities, don't use a garbage disposal (or have your septic tank serviced every couple of years) and use "septic friendly paper products" …

We don't use any "perfumes or tank deodorants" and have seldom (only when we run the fan and flush) have any odors in the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:43 PM   #4
CedarCreekWoody

I hope you have proper septic tanks. The black tank is only for holding, it does not do any processing.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:49 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I hope you have proper septic tanks. The black tank is only for holding, it does do any processing.
Yes, I also hope he is talking about a "compete septic system", not just a septic leach bed/septic field.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:39 PM   #6
Customer1

Permanent?

If so remove the black tank and RV toilet. Install a residential toilet and pipe it directly. No chemicals and no dumping.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:41 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

I would really think about a “permanent” alteration. It would significantly reduce the value of the unit if a person decided in a couple of years that the unit they purchased doesn’t meet their needs anymore. Putting everything back in place may not be all that easy, and storing the parts may be an issue.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:09 PM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
Permanent?

If so remove the black tank and RV toilet. Install a residential toilet and pipe it directly. No chemicals and no dumping.
You'd also have to repipe the grey tank/s as they tie into the 3" dump line as well. Personally would NOT do this..
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:22 PM   #9
Customer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
You'd also have to repipe the grey tank/s as they tie into the 3" dump line as well. Personally would NOT do this..
It is common when RVs are converted to park model use.

I personally do not buy an RV to resell, I buy it to use it as I choose. If it has any residual value when I dispose of it then that is just a pleasant bonus.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:25 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

RV’s aren’t usually “converted” to park models, they are usually built that way at the factory. Anyway, to each his/her own.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:47 PM   #11
Customer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
RV’s aren’t usually “converted” to park models, they are usually built that way at the factory. Anyway, to each his/her own.
I said converted to park model use. There are RV parks all over the country and specially in snowbird areas where RVers either rent annually or even purchase a site. I am in a co-op park right now where many RVs have been converted to permanent/park model type use.

Something I haven't seen before is many of them in this park have chains or straps anchoring them to the ground since this is hurricane country.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:55 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
I said converted to park model use. There are RV parks all over the country and specially in snowbird areas where RVers either rent annually or even purchase a site. I am in a co-op park right now where many RVs have been converted to permanent/park model type use.

Something I haven't seen before is many of them in this park have chains or straps anchoring them to the ground since this is hurricane country.
Can't speak to FL laws but in MD any trailer "hard plumbed" and not tagged is considered a permenant residential structure and must be "affixed" to the ground.

Mobil homes have been built with "hurricane straps" for the last 4 or 5 decades the are part of the skeleton of the trailer and attach to augers that screw into the ground.

I'm guessing that's what you are seeing.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:06 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

That makes me wonder: are the trailers that have been converted have the straps/chains connected to just the frame or do they have a "strap" that holds the entire structure down?

Old 01-12-2020, 09:02 AM   #14
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

Rid-X for septic systems has been used for RV's, you just have to cut the amount used to like 1-2 cap fulls. I know a few people that have their own land with septic systems and that's what they do.
Weekender 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:14 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
That makes me wonder: are the trailers that have been converted have the straps/chains connected to just the frame or do they have a "strap" that holds the entire structure down?
I had a friend years ago that lived in an rv set up permanently on his land (near impossible in this state now. Back then (going back to I believe the 1980's?) his old camper didn't have the "hurricane straps". He contacted a mobile home service that came out and installed some sort of "kit" that had strapping that went over the roof, down the sides, and attached to augers in the ground with a ratchet on the top like a flatbed binder ratchet. Darned thing looked ridiculous to me and I thought if a hurricane hit that crap wouldn't keep it from ending up like 3 little pigs straw house.

I was there when it was installed and inspected/approved by the county and thought "what folley". Just some more of what people have to do to comply with some well meaning but misguided legislation. It's like here in MD when unleaded gas was nationally mandated and the leaded fuel dispensers were removed from fuel stations nation wide. MD has emissions testing and at the time, the emissions stations would take a plastic replica of a leaded fuel nozzle and try to jam it in the fuel filler neck of the car (when unleaded was first "phased in" folks would punch the restrictor down the fuel fill neck so they could still use the less expensive leaded fuel). I asked the emissions tester why he was doing that when you the closest thing to leaded gas at the time was 110 low lead avgas available at airports only. His answer: "just doing what I'm told to do". Yup, perfect.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:36 PM   #16
Customer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Can't speak to FL laws but in MD any trailer "hard plumbed" and not tagged is considered a permenant residential structure and must be "affixed" to the ground.

Mobil homes have been built with "hurricane straps" for the last 4 or 5 decades the are part of the skeleton of the trailer and attach to augers that screw into the ground.

I'm guessing that's what you are seeing.
Nope, regular travel trailers and fifth wheels.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:40 PM   #17
Customer1

Quote:
Appears to simply be attached between the frame and anchor bolts in the concrete pad.

Nevertheless, we are off the topic of what the OP asked. I suggest for a permanent installation to remove the RV toilet and holding tank.

Key word of the OP "permanent".
Old 01-13-2020, 10:47 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekender 1 View Post
Rid-X for septic systems has been used for RV's, you just have to cut the amount used to like 1-2 cap fulls. I know a few people that have their own land with septic systems and that's what they do.
That's been a subject of many debates. Most government reports I've read say they are a waste of money as a properly designed septic system will naturally produce enough bacteria on it's own. Using those products in an RV holding tank typically doesn't provide enough time for the bacteria and enzymes to "bloom" or "grow" and then work on the waste to a beneficial level in the couple of days before emptying the contents.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:31 PM   #19
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Using those products in an RV holding tank typically doesn't provide enough time for the bacteria and enzymes to "bloom" or "grow" and then work on the waste to a beneficial level in the couple of days before emptying the contents.

I read the same reports also.
But he is going to be a permanent setup for one, so a couple days is not how long it'll be in there unless, well wont got there. But in our RV my black water tank gets emptied every few weeks. That's based on 3 days per week usage and emptied around 3 weeks.
And it won't ruin his septic system, which he is worrying about.

The rest of them are CITRUS fragrances with sodium chloride and that does exactly what and that includes Rid-x for RV's. Little mortons salt and a squeezed orange/lemon which citruses should not be introduced to a septic system,acids play with bacteria.
Weekender 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water