Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #21
don_61760

What the hell? All I asked was how you get traffic updates. If you've never seen a situation where traffic slows, the a sign construction ahead and car, trucks and rvs switching lanes like mad with NO indication of what lane is closed then I don't know what roads you're traveling. I didn't ask about exits and accidents. Where does all that anger come from? I hope I never encounter most of you on the highway.
don_61760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:26 AM   #22
don_61760

BTW forget I asked. I don't need this.
don_61760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:52 AM   #23
Ken / Claudia

I think you did get some good answers to your question.
So, my question is did those help you?
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_61760 View Post
I'm sure everyone has at one time or other approached a construction zone with no idea what lane is open or closed. Do you rely on guessing or cb(no idea if anyone is still using them. I think most commercial traffic uses fm?) any suggestions or advice. I don't like the guy in and out of lanes but the closer you get to the closure the harder it gets to be in the right lane.

OP, this is your original post. I'm sorry that things sort of got sidetracked from your original question. Post 5 sort of redirected the conversation.

As for your original question; yes, I encounter stopped traffic without any idea what is going on or what lane is open/closed. In those situations, I, like everyone else encountering it, are in the same boat. I have multiple electronic devices that we use (nav, gps, smartphones, hiway updates) but sometimes they don't have any idea either. Generally those situations are from something that was unplanned (accident etc.). The best you can do is check the sources you have and do as one member posted earlier - watch the semis. When you see them all start moving into one particular lane you are better off to try to follow their lead.

In situations like the above I think people are generally much more accepting of an individual trying to move out of the affected lane because there was no warning and everyone is/was in the same boat. As for CBs, I used to carry them in all my vehicles but when they were really popular I quit using them because they became pretty much useless. I don't know if truckers use them like they used to; I do know I don't see every truck equipped with CB antennas as we used to.

As far as anger, I didn't get that from the posts although they were a little strong if you consider them directed at your original post - which they weren't. You are reading responses from folks that tow RVs at a reduced speed to stay safe and encounter the rude, unsafe and inattentive drivers literally every day when traveling. Those folks endanger not only themselves and the person pulling the RV but everyone else on the highway and there is no excuse for it.

These threads can wander and meander as different comments are made - and it happens all the time. Nothing wrong with that. If it veers off topic from what you asked just point it out and will come back in line generally.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:20 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

I agree with Danny that comfun1's comments were replied to pretty much exclusively after that.

"Don't need this"? Well that's your choice but I don't know of any forum that has a "OP exclusive topic" where the thoughts and opinions don't get vectored off on a different course.. It's just like a room full of people having a conversation that start's at point "A" and typically ends somewhere for from "A". It's a forum, not a "help desk" where you ask a question and get one answer.

Anger? I guess that's a matter of opinion and perspective. I'd venture to say some would say it's a matter of someone being "oversensitive".

In either case it's a forum and as forums go I think this one is one of the most civil one's out there. Occasionally someone may go "overboard a bit" but typically when it happens an acknowledgement of a misunderstanding and apology is given as was here.

JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #26
chuckster57
Site Team

I’m mad as HE double toothpicks and I’m not going to take it anymore.....

There I said it, so now you can all go about your lives thinking you have to avoid me. LOL!!!!

Spend a week with me if you want to know the REAL me.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

"There I said it, so now you can all go about your lives thinking you have to avoid me. LOL!!!!"

Ha! Ha! Won't work Chuck.

Less than a decade ago when we first started coming to the FL panhandle traffic here on the coastal highway was a tiny bit congested at certain times. Fast forward to today and it an endless stream of traffic in both directions all day long. I come from W TX and I travel to places generally where the speed limit is 75, everyone drives 80 (DPS doesn't blink an eye) and the cars are few and far between (but getting worse).

Trying to go from that environment to this is like having a root canal on a daily basis for me. 55 is SO slow (as a sidenote: bought a Mustang SVO right after the speeds were lowered to 55 decades ago and had plates made that said 55S2SLO; never had a trooper give me a break with those plates but I digress) and so many of the drivers here are terrified to drive that leading to endless lines moving at 40-50mph for miles...and me having a nervous breakdown watching people slam on brakes, speed up, slow down etc. for no, NO reason except they are texting on their smartphone.

I've hoped and wished I could "avoid" them to no avail. I've hoped they would try to avoid me using various tactics...nothing works. I'm stuck, can't even make people try to avoid that "big red truck" so, I know you would like folks to avoid you and let you have space, as I wish they would for me, but the reality is we are all becoming sardines on these things we call highways.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #28
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
How about when you are traveling 75 mph at rush hour on a highway with bumper to bumper traffic with four or five lanes each direction and suddenly an "exit left 1/4 mile" sign appears. You have approximately 12 seconds to find a hole in the traffic and change lanes.
My GPS tells me miles before that.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:52 PM   #29
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Then your most likely one of the rude drivers out there that cant plan ahead and move over BEFORE they need to. I have been "cut off" by those rude (read stupid) people that can stand to ease in behind a big truck or an RV. That's what my train horns are for 153Db as I press the GO PEDAL!!!
Where can I get one of those bad boys? (Train Horn)
Old 12-15-2019, 12:57 PM   #30
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just chillin View Post
I’m kind of with sourdough on this one. If there’s been an accident up there and nobody knows where to go I don’t mind letting you in because we’re all in the same boat. But if you pass the same sign that I passed 2 miles back down the highway that said the left-hand lane is closed and you think you’re going to run all the way down there to the close part and then cut in line in front of everyone else, I will run you into that wall and not feel bad about it at all.
I once had a guy that wanted to pass me soooo bad he attempted to pass on the right gravel shoulder. I maintained my ground and watched him roll over into the ditch. Was I bad or is that just karma?
Old 12-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #31
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
Where can I get one of those bad boys? (Train Horn)
https://hornblasters.com/

I have the conductors special, bought in 2009 and upgraded to a 5 gal tank from the standard 2.5. I get 11 seconds of FULL VOLUME before they fade off.

Angry? Nope, just letting you know you goofed

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #32
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_61760 View Post
I'm sure everyone has at one time or other approached a construction zone with no idea what lane is open or closed. Do you rely on guessing or cb(no idea if anyone is still using them. I think most commercial traffic uses fm?) any suggestions or advice. I don't like the guy in and out of lanes but the closer you get to the closure the harder it gets to be in the right lane.
I try my best to not drive through or close to larger cities during their rush hour, construction is usually shown on gps, google maps etc. Traffic through construction before or after rush hour tends to be more calm, If I have no choice, I or Serena look for somewhere to visit until things have calmed and then carry on. Other than that, I stay in my lane, until I see a sign and merge when I can, slowly. I like the rear view cam to help with that.

We basically eat it. There is nothing to do. 98% of the time if you try to manufacture your own detour, it takes a lot longer, you're at risk of roads not suitable for RV detours and you are in unknown territory.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #33
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Then your most likely one of the rude drivers out there that cant plan ahead and move over BEFORE they need to. I have been "cut off" by those rude (read stupid) people that can stand to ease in behind a big truck or an RV. That's what my train horns are for 153Db as I press the GO PEDAL!!!
Driving an unslightly clunker like my truck with a large cattle guard on the front seems to help. My wife won't let me get air horns. She thinks I would blow them just for the joy of it and act like an idiot. We have been married 48 years so what does she know?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 04:26 PM   #34
wiredgeorge

Quote:

I have the conductors special, bought in 2009 and upgraded to a 5 gal tank from the standard 2.5. I get 11 seconds of FULL VOLUME before they fade off.

Where the heck is your spare tire? In the bed? If I did this, I think the neatest mount point would be up on the cab next to the hood. Just can't figure out where a compressor would go as the engine bay is kind of full on a super duty diesel. Perhaps mounting on the roof would work (not sure if the missus would appreciate that mount point) and put a compressor behind the rear seat in my crew cab?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 04:44 PM   #35
chuckster57
Site Team

Everything including the spare tire is under the bed. Photobucket made me delete a bunch of stuff so I’ll have to take some new pics. DW wasn’t thrilled when I bought them but she’s used to them. I don’t use them very often as there are considered excessive noise.

Old 12-15-2019, 05:30 PM   #36
rhagfo

Quote:

Yep, my Kleinn's 102-1 are 153 db also, very nice addition.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #37
flybouy
Site Team

I have Wolo Orient Express, 153 dB as well. I mounted the horns on the frame under the passenger seat facing forward. I mounted the compressor and 5 gal tank in the bed (8') between the driver's side wheel well and the tailgate. It does not intrude into the space beyond the wheel well so can still load a 4 x 8 sheet flat.

At the very back on the bed rail where the cap is mounted I have a switch to operate two 12 v DC solenoid's to raise/lower the air bags on the rear axle. Makes hitching/unhitching very quick and easy.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:37 PM   #38
chuckster57
Site Team

So many angry people it seems.

Old 12-15-2019, 06:48 PM   #39
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
So many angry people it seems.
Now that just PO's me!
Old 12-22-2019, 10:20 AM   #40
skmct

I believe the OP got some very good replies. WATCH THE TRUCKERS IS WHAT I FIND WORKS THE BEST. One of my highest PP's is when towing The trailer I travel at a reduced speed and leave a greater distance between my rig and the one in front of me, if the road is wet that distance increases. This seams to be an invite for the crazies to cut in front of you at the last minute. I keep thinking that part of getting a DL should include the requirement to tow something over 10K and over 20 feet long. I don't think that most drivers out there have any idea of what it takes to stop a rig of any size and weight.
2014 Montana HC 318 RE
B&W Turn over with companion
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote