Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #1
Viet_Vet

Upstate ny to ???(somewhere toward houston)

My wife and I are heading out for our first long trip in our 5th wheel on December 16th. We are going to head southwest, hopefully to warmer weather.

We don't really have a destination in mind, other than to escape the cold Catskill winters of NY. We're planning on heading west on I-84 to Scranton then take I-81 south. We thought we would stop near Staunton, Virginia the first night at Walmart, as we will arrive late.

We are then going to head to Duluth, GA for a few days. From there, we have no plans other than follow warmer weather, staying south while heading west. If you draw a line from Oklahoma City to Houston, we won't be going any further west than that.

We would appreciate any info, feedback, best routes, local attractions along the way, etc. Any info on inexpensive campgrounds would be nice as well.

Basically, I'd like to hear from those who have traveled these routes and what their experiences were.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!
If you can't fly with the eagles, go peck s**t with the chickens!
Viet_Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:20 PM   #2
SummitPond

We've done that route for many a year, to and from Florida/Maine.

We typically stay in the Milford, PA area, so that won't do you any good.

If you're not in a rush, consider a trip down US 209 off of I-84 from the Milford area; it was a nice leisurely roll through the hills, less congested than the interstate with nice scenery. You can then catch PA-33 and wend your way over to US 222. At Lancaster take US 30 over to Chambersburg PA where you can connect back with I-81 south.

If you ended up in the Chambersburg area and wanted to spend the night, we have stayed at the Twin Bridge Campground. There's a "cheese house" down the road from the campground (forget the name) where they milk their own cows to make the cheese. The Flight 93 Memorial is about 100 miles further west; not exactly on your flight path but worth the trip if you've never been there.

We have stayed at the Shenandoah Valley Campground in Mt. Jackson, VA off I-81. It's close to the interstate but far enough away that I don't recall being bothered by road noise.

We've also stayed at the Dixie Caverns campground off I-81, and you get a discount on a tour of the caves.

The Chester Frost Park outside of Chattanooga is quite nice. You used to be able to get a spot right on the reservoir, but I think they've changed their policy to require more than an overnight stay for those spots.

Safe travels.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:33 AM   #3
gearhead

A couple of things..
How old are you? If you can get the senior discount "America the Beatiful" card, get that ASAP. With it you can use US ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS (COE) campgrounds at half price, of an already cheap price. Also buy the book "CAMPING IN COE CAMPGROUNDS". It is indexed by states. I bought mine on Amazon. We just stayed in COE campgrounds near Agusta Georgia and Tuscaloosa Alabama, both great.
Just how warm do you want to be? Along I-20 can get some cool fronts. I assume a lot warmer than New York, but not exactly tropical. Warmest would be down along the coast along I-10. I would recommend southern Louisiana just for interesting culture and the great food.
If the weather along I-20 agrees with you you can camp in COE campgrounds next to the big lakes for about $15 a day which might be cheaper than staying home.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
FlyingAroundRV

Near Huntsville AL is a park called Monte Sano. It used to be a health camp for wealthy people to detox but now it's a State Park. In Huntsville is the US Rocket and Space center which is interesting. Also near there is Cathedral Cavern.
Also if you're heading south in that area, you might investigate the Natchez Trace. It is a parkway from down in Mississippi up into KY and TN. I believe there are some nice campgrounds and scenery along that, though we haven't done that yet.
There is also a nice CofE CG outside of Selma AL. Near Selma is Cahawba which used to be the capitol of AL but is now an archeological site. Another interesting park in AL is Moundville. It is the site of 29 indian mounds and the CG is run by the University of Alabama. It has (had?) a nice museum but I believe the museum was damaged by a tornado not long ago.

In KY there is Natural Bridge S.P. as well as My Old Kentucky Home S.P. in the heart of bourbon country.

Lots more, but it depends on your route.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow