Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-13-2020, 08:34 AM   #161
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 2,424
Thirsty? When I was a youngin I had a jet drive boat, Olds 455, twin 27 gal "saddle tanks" that when moving along at 70+ m.p.h. would last me about 30 min. Gup! Gulp!
__________________

__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:00 AM   #162
Snoking
Senior Member
 
Snoking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Lake Stevens
Posts: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Thirsty? When I was a youngin I had a jet drive boat, Olds 455, twin 27 gal "saddle tanks" that when moving along at 70+ m.p.h. would last me about 30 min. Gup! Gulp!

Water jets are not noted to be the most economical methoid to move a boat.
__________________

__________________
2019 Laredo 225MK for travel. Bighorn 3575el summer home in Washington, Park Model with Arizona Room for winters.
Snoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:23 AM   #163
wiredgeorge
Senior Member
 
wiredgeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mico
Posts: 1,258
Hate to ask an RV related question and get off topic hehehe Went to an RV show two weekends ago. Saw that many of the gas Class B & C were still using the Ford V10 gas swiller. Guess Ford is still making that engine for the RV sector where it seems to have dropped it a couple years ago when bringing on the 6.2 V8. Not sure why they couldn't use the new 7.3 gasser when it gets fully online.

The small Class B Winnebagos were using a 3.6L V6 Ram engine. Bet that is fun in the mountains. The larger Class C gas units use the Ford V10. After looking at the engines in both, not sure how anyone would work on one except to pull the chassis.
__________________
wiredgeorge Mico TX
2006 F350 CC 4WD 6.0L
2002 Keystone Cougar 278
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:34 AM   #164
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
Water jets are not noted to be the most economical methoid to move a boat.
Back in the early 70's they were the favorites as the I/O 's couldn't handle the torque or hp like they do now. My Sleekcraft Executive 23 had the Jacuzzi drive instead of the Berkeley pump that was the more popular at the time (read big rooster tail).

It was fun until I docked at one of the few Sunoco pumps on the water that had the "Sunoco 260" fuel.
__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:40 AM   #165
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 16,783
George,

My guess is that Ford is still "packing the V-10 into motorhomes" because that chassis is "exempt from fleet fuel requirements"... In other words, it doesn't cost Ford anything to put them in heavy vehicles. It does, however, cost the buying public.... It's probably a matter of quantity as well. 10,000 motorhome chassis vs 500,000 F-series LD/HD trucks annually. Sort of: Use the old stuff where it doesn't matter to the larger population.

Some of the literature I've seen (online) suggests that when current stocks of V-10 engines is depleted, Ford does plan to start using the 7.3L in their RV chassis lines (class A and C) as well as the F650/750 HD truck line.

Ironically, the design of the 7.3L engine makes it significantly smaller (more compact) than the V-10. There's some suggestion that a "highly modified" version may even find its way into a special edition of the Mustang.... Of course that's been said about an EcoBoost 5.0L as well....

Seems almost comical to me that the Class C chassis is a "cutaway van" but the "passenger van" (same chassis) doesn't have the V-10 availability. It can only be ordered with a NA 3.5L V-6 or the 3.5L EcoBoost.
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:43 AM   #166
wiredgeorge
Senior Member
 
wiredgeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mico
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
George,

My guess is that Ford is still "packing the V-10 into motorhomes" because that chassis is "exempt from fleet fuel requirements"... In other words, it doesn't cost Ford anything to put them in heavy vehicles. It does, however, cost the buying public.... It's probably a matter of quantity as well. 10,000 motorhome chassis vs 500,000 F-series LD/HD trucks annually. Sort of: Use the old stuff where it doesn't matter to the larger population.

Some of the literature I've seen (online) suggests that when current stocks of V-10 engines is depleted, Ford does plan to start using the 7.3L in their RV chassis lines (class A and C) as well as the F650/750 HD truck line.

Ironically, the design of the 7.3L engine makes it significantly smaller (more compact) than the V-10. There's some suggestion that a "highly modified" version may even find its way into a special edition of the Mustang.... Of course that's been said about an EcoBoost 5.0L as well....
I haunt powerstroke.org and ford-trucks.org now and again and heard some noise about the 7.3 in a Mustang. Most stuff coming off these forums is just hot air; Ford execs are the only ones who have a clue and I am sure these corporate secrets are dollar driven and closely held.
__________________
wiredgeorge Mico TX
2006 F350 CC 4WD 6.0L
2002 Keystone Cougar 278
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:49 AM   #167
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 2,424
Can't imagine why they would put a heavy V10 in a Mustang when the lighter, more powerful V8 Coyote is available. I think Ford was floating that rumor back when the Chrysler/Daimler was selling their V10 in the Viper.
__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:57 AM   #168
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 16,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Can't imagine why they would put a heavy V10 in a Mustang when the lighter, more powerful V8 Coyote is available. I think Ford was floating that rumor back when the Chrysler/Daimler was selling their V10 in the Viper.
Marshall,

The 7.3L is a V-8. If I remember what I read, it's not much heavier than the current 5.0L Coyote engine. Something to do with the "compactness and weight reduction" of pushrod vs OHC engine design....
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:21 AM   #169
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Marshall,

The 7.3L is a V-8. If I remember what I read, it's not much heavier than the current 5.0L Coyote engine. Something to do with the "compactness and weight reduction" of pushrod vs OHC engine design....
My bad The Triton was a 6.8 and replaced the V10, but still doesn't make sense to me. From what I've read the 7.3 has diesel like performance and durability but I think the Coyote 5 L has many aftermarket performance upgrades available.
__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #170
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 16,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
My bad The Triton was a 6.8 and replaced the V10, but still doesn't make sense to me. From what I've read the 7.3 has diesel like performance and durability but I think the Coyote 5 L has many aftermarket performance upgrades available.
I think the "illogical logic" (yeah I know) at work is this:

Bigger is better
Better is badder
Bigger, better and badder sells image. Ford has an "image to maintain" LOL
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:35 AM   #171
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think the "illogical logic" (yeah I know) at work is this:

Bigger is better
Better is badder
Bigger, better and badder sells image. Ford has an "image to maintain" LOL
Don't they have a name for that? Never mind, let's not go there!
__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:48 AM   #172
wiredgeorge
Senior Member
 
wiredgeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mico
Posts: 1,258
I think any of the OEM engine builders would do well to have a large and powerful gas engine capable of pulling decent loads. The 5.4 ain't it. I don't think the 7.3 will be anywhere near 6.7 performance but will certainly pull mid-weight 5vers just fine. It is supposed to have 475 ft/lb torque. Compare that to my old 6.0L powerstroke with 570 ft/lbs. Ain't that bad. The 6.2L gasser is supposed to have 430 ft/lb torque so not sure how much of an upgrade the 7.3L or how much more it will cost you to find out. The 7.3L should work better in Class B/C applications as it is OHV and more compact.
__________________
wiredgeorge Mico TX
2006 F350 CC 4WD 6.0L
2002 Keystone Cougar 278
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:31 AM   #173
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 16,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Don't they have a name for that? Never mind, let's not go there!
Yup, the name for it (IMHO) in the RV world is translated as "Half Ton Towable"
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:12 PM   #174
Snoking
Senior Member
 
Snoking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Lake Stevens
Posts: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Back in the early 70's they were the favorites as the I/O 's couldn't handle the torque or hp like they do now. My Sleekcraft Executive 23 had the Jacuzzi drive instead of the Berkeley pump that was the more popular at the time (read big rooster tail).

It was fun until I docked at one of the few Sunoco pumps on the water that had the "Sunoco 260" fuel.
I had a buddy/roommate that had a E Racing runabout flat bottom race boat(330 CU In and under class). V-drive small block Chevy. Race one weekend, water ski the next.

It was fun to water ski behind. You stood on the dock with the single ski on one foot and when the rope came tight you yelled "Hit it" and stepped into the air, you were off skiing or on your face in the water.

At 80 MPH you wanted to be outside the wake in case the boat coughed/ stopped, as you would hit it or pass it! Note: An old O'Brien water ski went flat on the water about 50 MPH. Deep water starts were quick or the rope pulled out of your hands.
__________________
2019 Laredo 225MK for travel. Bighorn 3575el summer home in Washington, Park Model with Arizona Room for winters.
Snoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:27 PM   #175
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
I had a buddy/roommate that had a E Racing runabout flat bottom race boat(330 CU In and under class). V-drive small block Chevy. Race one weekend, water ski the next.

It was fun to water ski behind. You stood on the dock with the single ski on one foot and when the rope came tight you yelled "Hit it" and stepped into the air, you were off skiing or on your face in the water.

At 80 MPH you wanted to be outside the wake in case the boat coughed/ stopped, as you would hit it or pass it! Note: An old O'Brien water ski went flat on the water about 50 MPH. Deep water starts were quick or the rope pulled out of your hands.
Bringing back memories! Had 3 people attempt to ski behind my boat. I thought they all would end up without arms before it was over. That 455 had 2 speeds... stop and go fast.

The bottom was pretty much flat for the back 1/3 of the hull so it would slap and kill your back in any chop. When it was up on plane the draft was less than a foot so it was exhilarating running at speed over sand bars, close to shore, and in near swamp flats.

I don't miss the ride and can't imagine ever doing it now (not after the 7 cervical spine surgeries) but man I do miss the sound that big block made!
__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:37 PM   #176
Snoking
Senior Member
 
Snoking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Lake Stevens
Posts: 626
flybouy, Oh to be young again. We chased points all over the NW race circuit. National high point several years running. I was the tow truck for the boat, with a 63 Carryall. The OEM 292 I6 would pull a house over, however the 283 V8 conversion ran down the freeway much better.
__________________
2019 Laredo 225MK for travel. Bighorn 3575el summer home in Washington, Park Model with Arizona Room for winters.
Snoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:49 PM   #177
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
flybouy, Oh to be young again. We chased points all over the NW race circuit. National high point several years running. I was the tow truck for the boat, with a 63 Carryall. The OEM 292 I6 would pull a house over, however the 283 V8 conversion ran down the freeway much better.
The predecessor of the Suburban. That little carb on top of that six was something to behold but that long stroke six and the low gearing did have some "grunt".
__________________

__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RV is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×