Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2020, 10:53 AM   #1
fjr vfr

Cell Boost options

I am considering a Cell Booster for times our signal is marginal. We have a hot spot, (T-Mobile) which works well most of the times.
I was looking at a WeBoost Drive 4G-X which is highly rated, but at $499 very expensive. Anyone recommend a reliable one...not so expensive?
Thank, John
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:35 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

We have the 4G-X and have seen it listed for better prices online. I piloted it’s predecessor for my company and it consistently produced documented improved results. Although originally intended for my company car, I hijacked it for use in the camper in conjunction with my 4G MiFi unit. Depending on your need, there can be less expensive options. For example, the WeBoost is intended to provide a boost to multiple devices simultaneously (thus we-boost). If you are looking to boost a single device like a MiFi or a phone, you can find options much less expensive.

For the record, I don’t typically condone cellphone/internet use while camping (we prefer to get away from it all), but my job allows me to work anywhere I can get connected. So in the summer we can do much longer trips after our daughter is out of school and get more use of our camper.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:45 PM   #3
ADQ K9

I can see the benefits of a unit and I am debating getting one but when I go camping I try to get away from and out of cell range
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:53 PM   #4
rhagfo

We ha e a Weboost home 4g as we full time and we see improvement, we park host and two of our favorite locations have very poor signal strength, with the Weboost we get very good coverage!
No not cheap, but makes a great difference.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:28 PM   #5
fjr vfr

Thanks, we are away for 6 months at a time and need to stay in touch with family as well as paying bills and banking. Most of the time we are okay with just the hot spots on our phones. It would be nice to have a little more consistent reception.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:33 PM   #6
GHen

We also have the weboost 4G x RV and are very happy with it.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:17 AM   #7
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
Thanks, we are away for 6 months at a time and need to stay in touch with family as well as paying bills and banking. Most of the time we are okay with just the hot spots on our phones. It would be nice to have a little more consistent reception.
Just an FYI, our Weboost failed while we were in a location with almost zero signal. we mount the WeBoost antenna on a 20" PVC mast to get some signal. Well when it was out, out AT&T dedicated Hot Spot was still pulling signal, and we still had good speed on WiFi using it.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:18 PM   #8
GHen

My weboost is mounted on a extendable window washing pole, I can get it about 8 ‘ above the rv. I have two command strip broom stick holders next to the ladder. Just snaps into the holders while standing on the ground for quick set up. Retracts to about 7 feet and I put it in the pass through while traveling.

When reception is poor, data is limited but cell service is normally boosted until it works.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:09 PM   #9
fjr vfr

Interesting, very mixed reviews.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:15 PM   #10
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Just an FYI, our Weboost failed while we were in a location with almost zero signal. we mount the WeBoost antenna on a 20" PVC mast to get some signal. Well when it was out, out AT&T dedicated Hot Spot was still pulling signal, and we still had good speed on WiFi using it.
Well just noticed that I had 20” not the 20’ of mast listed! It was the boost unit that actually failed, even out of warranty Weboost helped with replacement.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:35 AM   #11
terrythetech

I had simular issues with weak signals and slow speeds until I learned that the phone may be a problem. My phone for 4g LTE on t-mobile did not have band 66. I upgraded my phone to one that had that band and now my phones' hotspot works well and I use it to stream to my tv. Netflix, Prime video, etc all work without any "Buffering." And much greater long distance coverage for calling as well.
terrythetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:05 AM   #12
DanandTill

Very solid info
Thanks
Could you explain in more detail the difference in phones Band options
DanandTill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:03 PM   #13
terrythetech

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4988
This link explains bands for T-mobile. Basically band 66 is high frequency and gets faster 4G-LTE. Before my old phone did not have band 4 and my newer one after the upgrade did. I was constantly "Buffering" before and this upgrade to a phone with band 4 completely fixed that problem. Short on time but if you can navigate the link it should help.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:53 AM   #14
flrtrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
We have the 4G-X and have seen it listed for better prices online. I piloted it’s predecessor for my company and it consistently produced documented improved results. Although originally intended for my company car, I hijacked it for use in the camper in conjunction with my 4G MiFi unit. Depending on your need, there can be less expensive options. For example, the WeBoost is intended to provide a boost to multiple devices simultaneously (thus we-boost). If you are looking to boost a single device like a MiFi or a phone, you can find options much less expensive.

For the record, I don’t typically condone cellphone/internet use while camping (we prefer to get away from it all), but my job allows me to work anywhere I can get connected. So in the summer we can do much longer trips after our daughter is out of school and get more use of our camper.
Great Info thanks!

Could you share what you think might be less for a one device unit? All I use is the Verizon Jet Pack, MIMO if that helps? I heard most boosters actually cut back on MIMO modems as it limits only one signal in and out.

Thanks for your thoughts
flrtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:17 AM   #15
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
We ha e a Weboost home 4g as we full time and we see improvement, we park host and two of our favorite locations have very poor signal strength, with the Weboost we get very good coverage!
No not cheap, but makes a great difference.
Where will you be the first two weeks of May? Chris
Old 01-13-2020, 02:57 AM   #16
05Fatboy

We have SureCall fusion 2go 3.0 , we use it at home and while camping it helped enough at home we got rid of our landline and while camping if we have any signal it will boost it. We were only aiming to have service for emergence use while camping. But it's not cheap either.
05Fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:45 AM   #17
terrythetech

I would just make sure whichever booster you choose to make sure it covers the bands that your phone uses, or you new phone will use. Antenna's also make up a big part of a booster. Some are omni-directional and are a good fit if you move alot, but a directional (Yagi) will give better range but must be rotated toward the highest signal or they could actually reduce the amplification and remove any benifet from the amplifier.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:28 AM   #18
SC GT Yellow Jacket

Check out TOGO RV Roadlink C2. Base cost is less than $300. Unlimited ATT data for $360/year. Works outside RV. I installed this on my new Cougar and get wifi in my tow vehicle on the road. Streamed TV for a week constantly.
SC GT Yellow Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #19
flrtrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrythetech View Post
I would just make sure whichever booster you choose to make sure it covers the bands that your phone uses, or you new phone will use. Antenna's also make up a big part of a booster. Some are omni-directional and are a good fit if you move alot, but a directional (Yagi) will give better range but must be rotated toward the highest signal or they could actually reduce the amplification and remove any benifet from the amplifier.
Your thought on the best Directional? MIMO
flrtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:54 AM   #20
Jim2366

I just added, "Speedify", to my laptop. It lets you use both your cell phone and another wifi together. They charge a small fee depending on the subscription length. I just signed up for one month which was $8. What do you think.

I am trying to figure out if I should get a cell booster and / or Hughes. Things change so fast that I don't want to buy something that will be replaced soon with something better like, Amazon will launch thousands of satellites to provide internet. Your thoughts?