Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2020, 01:40 PM   #1
kpriley

Wheels

My sprinter 5th wheel came with 15” wheels. Is there any issue with changing to 16” wheels?
kpriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
rklus16

I was looking into doing this also to gain a little extra height of the camper with the rim/tire combo but I'm not going to gain enough height to make it worthwhile.

As long as you have enough room in the wheel well and space between tires you should be fine. Also consider how much the suspension travels when driving over bumps in the road. It all depends on the type and size of camper.

2019 Cougar 338RLK
2016 Ram 2500 Limited CC 6.7L
rklus16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:51 PM   #3
kpriley

I have a 31’ Keystone Sprinter 5th wheel I tow with a RAM 2500 4X4
Old 01-16-2020, 05:28 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpriley View Post
I have a 31’ Keystone Sprinter 5th wheel I tow with a RAM 2500 4X4
I don't think the tow vehicle or even the trailer brand has anything to do with "wheelwell clearance". That's more a matter of suspension (which is subject to change from year to year), tire/wheel size, spring pack leaf quantity, shackle length, type of equalizer used and even axle spacing. All of those may change from year to year and sometimes even from month to month during a model year.

So, the best way to know if you can change your 15" tire/wheel package for a 16" tire/wheel package is to measure your trailer as it sits, determine how much space is above the tires now, take into account the "movement/tire travel" from the tread to the top of the wheelwell and also measure the space between the tread on the existing tires. Upgrading will make for larger diameter and the tread will be closer. If you've only got 1" now, you may have issues. If you've got 4" or more between the tires, you should be OK.

The major factor is whether larger diameter tires will hit the top of the wheelwell when you go over a bump or the trailer leans as you round a curve at speed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:39 PM   #5
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpriley View Post
My sprinter 5th wheel came with 15” wheels. Is there any issue with changing to 16” wheels?
You should ask Keystone. I doubt they will approve a switch to 16" wheels.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:36 PM   #6
fjr vfr

Going from 15" to 16" wheels gains you 1/2" per side assuming the same tires, like 225/75-15 or 16.
I think the best argument for changing size is load capacity. The height difference might not even be noticeable.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:48 AM   #7
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
Going from 15" to 16" wheels gains you 1/2" per side assuming the same tires, like 225/75-15 or 16.
I think the best argument for changing size is load capacity. The height difference might not even be noticeable.
The argument Keystone might present with the ST225/75R15 load capacity not being sufficient lies in the fact the tire is built with a LRF which will provide 3195# of load capacity at 95 PSI.

Sure, the LRF will, in all probability require the correct supporting wheels. So would a change to an unauthorized 16" wheel/tire combination.

Note: 225/75R15 is a euro metric passenger sized tire.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:32 AM   #8
fjr vfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
The argument Keystone might present with the ST225/75R15 load capacity not being sufficient lies in the fact the tire is built with a LRF which will provide 3195# of load capacity at 95 PSI.

Sure, the LRF will, in all probability require the correct supporting wheels. So would a change to an unauthorized 16" wheel/tire combination.

Note: 225/75R15 is a euro metric passenger sized tire.

I didn't read anywhere the question Keystone would argue that the tires that came with the trailer wouldn't be sufficient? The trailer comes with load range D tires 225/75-15, which are the bare minimum required. Most people replace them with load range E when the time comes.
Going to 16" wheels the person would most likely stay with 225/75-16 load range E size. And load range E runs at 80 psi.

I have thought about going to 16" wheels myself mostly it give a little more load capacity and there are more tire options available in that size.

Note: pretty much all tires sold today are euro sized. The tires on all my vehicles are.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

"Note: pretty much all tires sold today are euro sized. The tires on all my vehicles are."

Not on trailers. They are ST (special trailer) or some larger/heavier use LT (Light Truck).
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:10 PM   #10
CWtheMan

Quote:
I didn't read anywhere the question Keystone would argue that the tires that came with the trailer wouldn't be sufficient? The trailer comes with load range D tires 225/75-15, which are the bare minimum required. Most people replace them with load range E when the time comes.
Going to 16" wheels the person would most likely stay with 225/75-16 load range E size. And load range E runs at 80 psi.

I have thought about going to 16" wheels myself mostly it give a little more load capacity and there are more tire options available in that size.

Note: pretty much all tires sold today are euro sized. The tires on all my vehicles are.
I do a lot of tire researching. Most RV trailer owners don’t.

The governing body, NHTSA, is responsible for tire rules. Part of their rules is the need for vehicle owner manuals. Within those manuals there are tire statements that were mandated to be there by NHTSA. Here is one of them.

"To maintain tire safety, purchase new tires that are the same size as the vehicle’s original tires or another size recommended by the manufacturer. Look at the Tire and Loading Information label, or the sidewall of the tire you are replacing to find this information. If you have any doubt about the correct size to choose, consult with the tire dealer."

That’s found on page 21 in the reference provided below.

Your tires have the designated size ST225/75R15. Load capacities within that designated size do not constitute a tire size change. They are just optional load capacities. There are two load ranges above LRD within that designated size, LRE & LRF.

In all probability, Keystone will mimic the regulation they followed when they chose tires for your trailer. That regulation directs them to fit OE tires that are appropriate for the GAWRs they are fitted to.

https://www.keystonerv.com/media/914...anual-2019.pdf
Old 01-17-2020, 09:18 PM   #11
fjr vfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
"Note: pretty much all tires sold today are euro sized. The tires on all my vehicles are."

Not on trailers. They are ST (special trailer) or some larger/heavier use LT (Light Truck).

ST, LT whatever they are still measured in metric with rims in inches.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:39 PM   #12
CWtheMan

Quote:
ST, LT whatever they are still measured in metric with rims in inches.
The topic was "designated tire sizes".

Metric tire size designation

There are two major size designations commonly used for passenger car tires, called P-metric and Metric sizing. If you see a “P” in front of the tire size displayed on a tire’s sidewall it is a P-metric tire. If there’s no P, it’s a Metric tire (also called Euro-metric or Hard-Metric).

ST225/75R15 is a designated size of a tire designed exclusively for service on trailer axles.

LT235/85R16 is a designated size of a tire designed specifically for service on light trucks.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:48 PM   #13
fjr vfr

Quote:
I do a lot of tire researching. Most RV trailer owners don’t.

The governing body, NHTSA, is responsible for tire rules. Part of their rules is the need for vehicle owner manuals. Within those manuals there are tire statements that were mandated to be there by NHTSA. Here is one of them.

"To maintain tire safety, purchase new tires that are the same size as the vehicle’s original tires or another size recommended by the manufacturer. Look at the Tire and Loading Information label, or the sidewall of the tire you are replacing to find this information. If you have any doubt about the correct size to choose, consult with the tire dealer."

That’s found on page 21 in the reference provided below.

Your tires have the designated size ST225/75R15. Load capacities within that designated size do not constitute a tire size change. They are just optional load capacities. There are two load ranges above LRD within that designated size, LRE & LRF.

In all probability, Keystone will mimic the regulation they followed when they chose tires for your trailer. That regulation directs them to fit OE tires that are appropriate for the GAWRs they are fitted to.

https://www.keystonerv.com/media/914...anual-2019.pdf

None of my tires say LRE or LRF they are either load range D or load range E. Load range G is available for 16" wheel size but no need to go there.

Of course Keystone is going to stick by government reg's to the bare minimum they can. They all cheap it out to the minimum. And like any manufacturer they will never tell anyone to do anything other, even if they thought it a good idea. They will never risk being sued.

Bottom line is if you feel best sticking to OEM tires and specs your choice.
I see plenty of people do otherwise. Many swear their changes are an improvement. Like a couple owners I talked to today who have added shocks to their suspension, etc.
To each his own choice. I've gone up from load range D to load range E and I'm still thinking of going to 16" wheels next time and I'm not asking Keystone for their approval either.

We all do what we think is right for us. We all have opinions.
Best wishes for your choices.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:41 AM   #14
CWtheMan

Quote:
Of course Keystone is going to stick by government reg's to the bare minimum they can. They all cheap it out to the minimum. And like any manufacturer they will never tell anyone to do anything other, even if they thought it a good idea. They will never risk being sued.

My tire posts are intended to be informative. My most go to source for tire information is the US tire manufacturer’s association (USTMA). They compile and provide the standards of operations for the tire industry. I suggest you read and become familiar with the information provided in the reference attached below, all of it. You will come away with a much better understanding of the industry and how it’s supposed to work.

The most used regulations from the governing body will be found in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) and the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Start with CFR 49 part 567.

https://www.ustires.org/sites/defaul...TruckTires.pdf
Old 01-18-2020, 10:34 AM   #15
fjr vfr

Quote:
My tire posts are intended to be informative. My most go to source for tire information is the US tire manufacturer’s association (USTMA). They compile and provide the standards of operations for the tire industry. I suggest you read and become familiar with the information provided in the reference attached below, all of it. You will come away with a much better understanding of the industry and how it’s supposed to work.

The most used regulations from the governing body will be found in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) and the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Start with CFR 49 part 567.

https://www.ustires.org/sites/defaul...TruckTires.pdf

No, I am not going to read it....not any of it....sorry.
I also don't read the 5 pages of consumer warnings when I buy a toaster, screw driver, radio or drill, etc.
Please don't take offense but this thread has gone down a rat hole. We are far removed from the OP. He's probably bored to death and long since stop reading.

Again on offense.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:47 AM   #16
slow

Wheels

FWIIW: our Jayco FW is offered with a 16” wheel option which we have. With the 16” wheel option, the front and rear most spring mount points are about two inches lower than the mount point for the standard 15” wheels.
Some in the Jayco forum have reported that their FWs were built with 16” wheels but the springs were mounted in the higher position holes and they are experiencing tire rub at the top of the wheel well lined with sheet metal.

Different manufacturer but worth being aware of as a caution.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:18 AM   #17
kpriley

Thanks for your input.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
FWIIW: our Jayco FW is offered with a 16” wheel option which we have. With the 16” wheel option, the front and rear most spring mount points are about two inches lower than the mount point for the standard 15” wheels.
Some in the Jayco forum have reported that their FWs were built with 16” wheels but the springs were mounted in the higher position holes and they are experiencing tire rub at the top of the wheel well lined with sheet metal.

Different manufacturer but worth being aware of as a caution.
One of the suspension problems with heavier fifth wheels is spring hangers bending with sharp turns, especially when backing into tight parking spaces/campsites. It seems the "U" shaped spring hangers bend when pushed sideways... It doesn't surprise me that if "normal spring hangers" are 3" long and there's "some issue with bending" that if the spring hangers were extended to 5" long (to accommodate larger diameter tires) that the bending issue would become a bending problem....

There are some hanger bracket stiffener kits that will reinforce the hangers to prevent bending, so all is not lost if someone were to modify their 15" wheel equipped trailer with 16" wheels, find a clearance problem and elect to weld on "taller" spring hangers. If they bend, then upgrade to the spring hanger cross-brace kit to prevent the bending... Really, all you're doing is changing the "weakest link by moving up the chain"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:56 PM   #19
CWtheMan

Quote:
Please don't take offense but this thread has gone down a rat hole. We are far removed from the OP. He's probably bored to death and long since stop reading.

Again on offense.
Actually you got me going about the change from 15” to 16” with your statement in post # 6 which did not recommending seeking vehicle manufacturer/tire manufacturer recommendations. RV trailer owners do a lot of backyard changes without the benefit of professional opinions. (Don’t read between the lines, I’m not a tire engineer). The Safety of vehicle owner actions should be the first consideration when doing their own vehicle equipment changes or vehicle maintenance, especially when road safety is at stake. That’s in line with what the OP was asking.

THIS IS MY OPINION: Because the tires associated with the change request are readily available in two advanced load capacities, one polyester cased (LRE) and the other steel cased (LRF), there is no industry justification to recommend a change in wheel/tire diameters, as the OE tire designated size with increased load capacities are not considered a tire size change.