Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2020, 05:57 AM   #1
maineman

Cougar Recall for solar wiring

I have a 2020 Cougar fifth wheel and got a recall letter after buying, about two weeks later. I guess some units got through with miss wired solar connection. I hate to run 170 miles to have two wires checked out. Anyone have theirs checked out and have directions to the fix?
maineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:59 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There are several "administrative issues" with the Cougar recall".

First, on the Keystone website and the recall letter, they list the brand as COUGAR (not Cougar Half Ton) and on the Cougar Half Ton recalls, there is no mention of the recall.

Second, the notification letter does address the Cougar Half Ton models by floorplan designation, involving the appropriate brand, not the Cougar brand.

Third, the serial number list of affected units ranges from LV50322 - LV503996. Apparently there is a missing number in the beginning of the list or an added number at the end of the list. Should it be LV50322X - LV503996 or LV50322 - LV50399_ ???

As for what the recall entails, apparently Keystone "may have" misconnected the positive and negative terminals on a component. Which component? That's not identified in the recall notice.

There should be a brand, model, series identification label and an owner's manual/installation manual for the solar equipment included in the owner's packet that came with the trailer. That installation manual "should" provide all the information necessary to verify the proper connections and, if you're relatively handy with electrical connections, it should be easy to verify if yours is connected properly.

Based on previous recalls, I doubt that Keystone or the dealership will "send you the information to do it yourself". The recall action is really a CYA for them so they can document, by serial number, which trailers they "personally inspected and repaired" for legal purposes. To report, "We allowed the customer (with no training) to do his own inspection" would completely negate the validation of the recall responsibility. So don't expect Keystone or the dealer to "work with you to do it yourself"... That won't happen.

You may find a Keystone dealer closer that can work you in for the recall??? Sometimes dealerships that won't do warranty work on units they didn't sell will do recall repairs on those units. So, if there's a Keystone dealer closer, they may accommodate you.

At any rate, have you contacted the dealer and/or Keystone to discuss your situation? While they likely won't let you do it, they may have some solution that will get it done without the long tow to a distant dealership.

In past recalls, the need for Keystone to have their representatives inspect and document the repair has not been transferred to the owner's responsibility. I wouldn't expect them to transfer a safety related inspection/repair to anyone other than their own "properly trained technician".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:38 AM   #3
maineman

Solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There are several "administrative issues" with the Cougar recall".

First, on the Keystone website and the recall letter, they list the brand as COUGAR (not Cougar Half Ton) and on the Cougar Half Ton recalls, there is no mention of the recall.

Second, the notification letter does address the Cougar Half Ton models by floorplan designation, involving the appropriate brand, not the Cougar brand.

Third, the serial number list of affected units ranges from LV50322 - LV503996. Apparently there is a missing number in the beginning of the list or an added number at the end of the list. Should it be LV50322X - LV503996 or LV50322 - LV50399_ ???

As for what the recall entails, apparently Keystone "may have" misconnected the positive and negative terminals on a component. Which component? That's not identified in the recall notice.

There should be a brand, model, series identification label and an owner's manual/installation manual for the solar equipment included in the owner's packet that came with the trailer. That installation manual "should" provide all the information necessary to verify the proper connections and, if you're relatively handy with electrical connections, it should be easy to verify if yours is connected properly.

Based on previous recalls, I doubt that Keystone or the dealership will "send you the information to do it yourself". The recall action is really a CYA for them so they can document, by serial number, which trailers they "personally inspected and repaired" for legal purposes. To report, "We allowed the customer (with no training) to do his own inspection" would completely negate the validation of the recall responsibility. So don't expect Keystone or the dealer to "work with you to do it yourself"... That won't happen.

You may find a Keystone dealer closer that can work you in for the recall??? Sometimes dealerships that won't do warranty work on units they didn't sell will do recall repairs on those units. So, if there's a Keystone dealer closer, they may accommodate you.

At any rate, have you contacted the dealer and/or Keystone to discuss your situation? While they likely won't let you do it, they may have some solution that will get it done without the long tow to a distant dealership.

In past recalls, the need for Keystone to have their representatives inspect and document the repair has not been transferred to the owner's responsibility. I wouldn't expect them to transfer a safety related inspection/repair to anyone other than their own "properly trained technician".

We looked at our rig three times before we bought, each time a document packet was in a cabinet. When we got home with the camper I thought I'd look over the manuals, hmm none there. I called the dealer and the gal said Keystone no longer put owners manuals in camper. I told her a document packet was in the camper when we looked at it. She called back and said she would print me a copy from Keystone web site. Lo and behold, a packet ( Not original ) arrived in the mail, with half the instructions manuals referred to in the owners manual. I never called back as I got tired of being fed B.S. Just thought some one on the forum had theirs looked at and could save me a trip.
maineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:21 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Chances are someone in the service department took the "manual set" out of the trailer to fill out the warranty registration cards, laid it on a workbench or desk and it never got put back in the trailer. It should have been there and you should have been provided a packet that weighs 4 or 5 pounds (maybe more) that has more information in odd shapes and sizes than you'd ever imagine was really installed in a single travel trailer.

That said, I've never encountered an RV related piece of equipment that didn't have all the applicable manuals available online at the manufacturer's website or at a "document repository" such as the Data section of the Sears Parts website. And yes, Sears Parts has documents for everything from John Deere tractors to Johnson and Mercury outboards.

So, if you can find the nomenclature plate on the solar system parts, enter that information into Google and do a search. Chances are you'll be able to find and download every manual that you think you're missing. The same goes for everything from the stereo to the lights in the ceiling as well as the refrigerator and even the faucets and PEX fittings (if you really want a complete set of "everything)...

While it's a "shame" that your dealership treated you that way, to have "given up because you were tired of the answer you were getting" is on you, not on them. They likely, based on their actions, couldn't care less if you ever get what you need.... On the other hand, if you need it and haven't taken the steps to get the manuals, then that's not "on the dealer" but rather is "on you"... They (the manuals) are available, but you've got to do more than rely on someone else to provide them for you.

Google is your friend !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-16-2020, 07:52 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

FWIW, every recall I have been involved with requires specific documentation and must be performed at an authorized service center. This is not just a Keystone policy, and most often the labor paid isn’t really enough.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:26 PM   #6
Jim2366

It looks like the recall for the solar is for 2020 models, I did not see a notice for other years it that correct?

https://www.keystonerv.com/owners/recalls/
Old 01-17-2020, 02:38 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2366 View Post
It looks like the recall for the solar is for 2020 models, I did not see a notice for other years it that correct?

https://www.keystonerv.com/owners/recalls/
Jim,

From what I can tell from the documentation, the recall affects 2020 Cougar Half Ton models 22RBS, 23MLS, 25RES, 26RBS, 26RKS, 27RES, 27SAB, 27SGS, 29BHS, 29FKD, 29RLD, 30RKD, 31MBS, 32RDB, 32RLI, 34TSB

It doesn't apply to any other Cougar models or model years other than 2020.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
cougar, solar, wiring