Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #1
MarkEHansen

What does iN-Command control in my new 2019 Cougar 26RBSWE?

We are in the process of purchasing a 2019 Cougar Half-Ton 26RBSWE travel trailer which comes with iN-Command.

I can find the Keystone user's guidefor iN-Command, which is very general (no trailer-specific info) and nothing about what systems it controls in this model trailer.

Is this information available somewhere? Our dealer is not very helpful.

For example, I saw in one of the iN-Command videos that it can show you TPMS readings, but in going through the user's guide, there is no mention of TPMS systems at all. Is TPMS a feature of an earlier iN-Command model?

I know I have other ways of monitoring my trailer's tire pressures, so I'm not looking for help with that - just trying to understand what my trailer's iN-Command is actually wired to do.

Thanks for any guidance.
MarkEHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #2
travelin texans

I don't have the In Command system, but can't understand of what benefit the tire pressures would be on a system that's used when the rv is parked.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:50 AM   #3
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I don't have the In Command system, but can't understand of what benefit the tire pressures would be on a system that's used when the rv is parked.

You connect with your phone and can monitor while in transit.

However, my question wasn't really about the TPMS...
Old 10-15-2018, 04:32 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

It seems to me that the In-Command system is manufactured in several different "upgrade models" much the same as with the RV appliances. Some stoves have 3 burners and must be lit with a match, some have rotary sparkers to light the burners, some have a automatic piezo ignition system. Same with refrigerators, some have temperature controlled by a switch on the eyebrow, some don't have that feature.

The Keystone Owner's Manual that you've got your hands on, is used for every brand across the entire Keystone line and won't have any "trailer specific information"...

The In-Command is a relatively new "remote control system" that has a tremendous capability, but only if the entire package is installed. You may find that you have a "control panel" with extra switches, additional functions that are not supported by the "remote unit" located in the forward crawl space. As in the "generic control panels" with spaces for 3 slide switches, when installed in a trailer with only one slide, two of the spaces are "blank" and not used. It's the same with holding tank status panels, some (most) list a Galley, Gray, Black, Fresh water and battery function and are typically also used in trailers that only have one gray water holding tank, although the lights for the second gray tank on the panel work, they aren't connected to anything. So, it's likely that Keystone buys the "control panel" in bulk and uses the same one in all their trailers while they buy a "model specific remote unit" to pair with the "generic control panel"... It's cheaper for the factory to buy items they can use on multiple trailer lines "in bulk"... They then install them in all their brands, but don't activate all the features or don't use a remote that can control all the features.

I'd guess your In-Command system is much the same. When you do your PDI, be sure to ask the service tech doing your orientation to spend some time explaining what "yours does". You might find he's knowledgeable, you might find he doesn't know "squat" about your application. In that case, really in any case, spend some time with the owner's manual for the In-Command system that comes with the trailer and do some "Google searches" to get more information. While you may get some help (hopefully) from an owner of a "same year/same model" Cougar, the In-Command system capability in a Montana, a Fuzion or a Alpine will probably be much different than in your Cougar and would be likely to have more "features activated" by a different model "upgraded remote unit" while your Cougar would have a "less expensive remote unit" with fewer features.

So, What's installed in your trailer may be very VERY different from what was installed in the same Cougar model last year and is probably also very VERY different from what is installed in more expensive or less expensive Keystone brands.

ADDED: The In-Command system is not "Keystone exclusive" but is built by ASA Electronics for the entire RV industry. You can go to the ASA Electronics website and look over the available models. There appear to be 8 different models available to the RV manufacturers. Some have "Global Connectivity" some are simply a "small panel with 2 LED's"... So depending on what model Keystone is installing in Cougars this year, you will probably find a much different version in another trailer line. You can find the ASA site here: http://www.asaelectronics.com/incommand-support Depending on which panel and which remote unit are installed, your system may well be "like no other in any trailer" or it may be very similar with only a few differences.... Anyway, the manuals for each of the models are available on the website. You'll also find the manual for your specific model In-Command system in the owner's packet that comes with your trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:47 AM   #5
ChuckS

I would have to insist with the dealership that THEY provide you with the correct and current manual for the in command system installed in the RV you are going to purchase.

I would also verify where the AC and furnace are controlled from.. some in command systems are handling that too while others are using a simple digital thermostat..

Quite frankly from the many posts I’ve read I’d prefer the heating and AC to be via a conventional digital thermostat..

Typical in command controls are lighting, slides, landing gear, water tank, gray and black tank levels, battery level..

I would also make them explain in depth where the BCM module is located, how to verify it’s powered up, how to reset it, and how to manually bypass some critical systems...

The concept is nice but it’s having growing pains... as any new system would..

Without the correct manual for your installed in command system if you have troubles you might not be a happy camper..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:49 AM   #6
MarkEHansen

Thanks, John. Basically, that is the question I'm asking. Is there any documentation which shows what features of iN-Command are wired-up/supported in my specific trailer.

As to the TPMS question, here is a video about iN-Command which specifically shows the use of the TPMS feature using the mobile app: - Can I purchase TPMS sensors for my trailer wheels and make this work? I don't see anything about this in the iN-Command user's guide from Keystone.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:58 AM   #7
MarkEHansen

The dealer told me that Keystone just passes along the owner's manuals from the individual component manufacturers (like the refrigerator, furnace, etc.) and that the iN-Command user's gude from Keystone is all we get. I've read it and it is definitely not specific to our trailer

I'm guessing I'm just going to have to walk the menus and use trial-n-error to determine what it can do and create my own document.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:42 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
The dealer told me that Keystone just passes along the owner's manuals from the individual component manufacturers (like the refrigerator, furnace, etc.) and that the iN-Command user's gude from Keystone is all we get. I've read it and it is definitely not specific to our trailer

I'm guessing I'm just going to have to walk the menus and use trial-n-error to determine what it can do and create my own document.
Go to the ASA website and download the manual for your specific model controller. http://www.asaelectronics.com/incommand-support You won't find any "Keystone manual" with more than "basic, generic comments" regarding the In-Command system. There "should be" in your owner's packet that came with the trailer, the owner's manual for the specific In-Command modules that were installed. That said, when I bought my trailer in 2014, I got Dexter axle manuals, Lippert axle manuals and Al-Ko axle manuals as well as Swintek, Lippert and Bal slide manuals.... It's tough to get three axles under a 31' fifth wheel and we only have two slides, so there's an excess manual for something...... I guess what I'm saying is that you might not get the manual for everything that's installed or you might get the manual for the trailer that was built before/after yours on the line.... Going to the ASA site to download a copy of what's installed (by part number) if that manual is not in your packet, will assure you get the right information......

I doubt that Keystone bought any "upgraded, feature filled" modules for installation on the Cougar line. As a "mid level trailer" it's mostly equipped with "middle of the road" equipment. If there was a TPMS capability, I'd suspect it's only on the more sophisticated models in the "luxury trailer lines".... The TPMS may be an additional "Bluetooth feature" supported by an add-on or a optional plugin component that was not installed by Keystone on your trailer brand. Sort of like pressing the navigation screen in a Ford that doesn't have that option. You'll get a compass, but not a map....

Us "mere mortals" with Cougars, Laredos and Sprinters are pretty much left with the "basics and a remote control" rather than the "feature rich zingers" found in the more expensive trailer brands.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-15-2018, 07:49 AM   #9
MarkEHansen

Thanks, John. Yes, that's the manual I have (from ASA). I'm trying to convince myself that the iN-Command provided on the Cougar is better than the old, manual way. One advantage I can see is I can be outside watching while I extend the slide or awning (assuming the connection will reach that far). Otherwise, it seems it will be harder to get to specific feature by drilling through LCD menus rather than just hitting a specific switch.

I haven't used it yet, so we'll see. I may like it better
Old 10-15-2018, 08:34 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

We've got the "old style remote" on our Cougar. As for being outside to watch the slide so you don't hit anything.... well, if you're outside watching, and a cupboard door happens to swing open inside...... It comes down to whether you want to protect the outside or the inside or return to the "old way of two people".... With all these "new fangdangled upgrades" they keep adding, some work for some people, others hate them and never use them.... Depends on what most of us are used to doing and what "risks" we're willing to accept. Then you get down to the basics: The more "stuff added" the more "stuff to break" when the trailer is about as far from the dealer as possible..... So

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #11
Pull Toy

+1 for John ^^^

From all of the HORROR STORIES regarding In Command compatibilities that I've or seen....

SET EVERYTHING back to "manual" (remember, if you turn it on with remote, you need to turn it off with your remote before you can use the REAL SWITCHES to turn it off/on as G-D intended!) Now gently remove the app from your phone, and put any remote hardware back in the bag, after removing the batteries, of course! The only upgrade in the last 20 years was autolevel,,, let's leave it at that!

Let the next owner figure it out, it's a great selling feature! LOL

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:18 PM   #12
MarkEHansen

Huh? From what I understand, there are no manual switches for the stuff controlled by the iN-Command. Awning, HVAC, holding tank levels, etc., only accessible via iN-Command. What am I missing?

I haven't taken possession of the trailer yet, so I could be wrong, but I did walk through it and didn't see any switches, except for some lighting.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:21 PM   #13
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Huh? From what I understand, there are no manual switches for the stuff controlled by the iN-Command. Awning, HVAC, holding tank levels, etc., only accessible via iN-Command. What am I missing?

I haven't taken possession of the trailer yet, so I could be wrong, but I did walk through it and didn't see any switches, except for some lighting.

We love ours, makes it very easy for my wife to help and keeps everything in one place.

Our has worked flawlessly. It controls all lights, slides, water heater. The HVAC system is separate.

I believe that there are “overide” switches for the slides on the BCM panel should the BCM board malfunction.

And each light fixture still has a manual switch to it, not just on the in-command

Any other Q’s let me know
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:17 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

That's what the PDI is for. Take a pen and pad of paper and make your list. If it does work as a TPMS check what sensors are needed. My guess you need to purchase sensors from ASA so they can communicate with the system.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #15
Spinkboy

I have in command for my 2019 RKS. Good and Bad

Good

Works great with Iphone or Android so you can watch the movement of your slides
AC control if you have connected to wifi from anywhere.

Bad

No switches to go back to.
HMI requires password for 2019 no way in getting around.
Controls a lot but on mine not the landing gear since I don't have auto leveling.

Words for thought, I'm ok with it.... would love it if not for the PW issue.
Spinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:46 PM   #16
MarkEHansen

What's HMI?
The Display Commander (DC, or the LCD touch-screen controller) has a password, but it looks like you can set the "time-out" on it to 'never' - which I assume means you have to provide the password once at power up and that's it. I still have to try it though.

Or are you talking about something else?

Our trailer has the Ground Control (auto-leveling) which I assume is controlled through the iN-Command (and I think it also has a switch in the pass-through cargo compartment - but I'm not sure about that either).
Old 10-16-2018, 06:12 PM   #17
ChuckS

The newest Keystone that have in command have no manual switches. It’s all done via control panel or cell phone and app via BCM.

There are no manual override switches on the BCM should slides or landing gear have a problem. You will have to locate the manual override for either electric or hydraulic slides and landing gear

Hyd Lansing gear override is done by manually opening a valve on either front LG or there is one for the other four leveling gear located usually on passenger or drivers side at mid leveler.

Hyd slides you will have to manually open solenoid valve for each slide or at a time

The above procedures require you to have a cordless drill and 1/4 apex bit to put in the end of the hyd pump motor so you can run either clockwise or counter clockwise to extend or retract.

Best to learn how this is done in advance and carry a cordless drill and apex bit and maybe a flex extension for the bit.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:39 PM   #18
OregonDuck

Hi Mark. I have a 2019 29RDBWE with the In Command. It controls the slides, awning, awning light, interior lights, HVAC, water heater, water pump and monitors tank levels and battery. Mine did not come with any TPMS and does not control my lippert auto-level system.

We love it. Ability to control the awning light, slides or awning itself from outside the rig, reading tank levels while flushing the black tank w/o having to go back into the trailer, turning up the heat by phone from the bed in the middle of the night; all awesome from my perspective. The locking screen can be annoying, but I will admit it keeps my 8 year old from doing something regrettable. And you are correct that the timer for when it locks can be programmed as you see fit.

Be sure to set the floorplan once you pair your mobile device to it. This will ensure your app mirrors your DC and specifics to your rig.
OregonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #19
OregonDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
There are no manual override switches on the BCM should slides or landing gear have a problem. You will have to locate the manual override for either electric or hydraulic slides and landing gear
As mentioned above, my In Command is not connected to the Lippert Auto-level system. That said, the BCM does have a manual override for slides and awning. There is a knob to select which element you wish to control, and a momentary switch to activate.
OregonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #20
CWtheMan

Here you go, try this one.

https://www.keystonerv.com/upper-nav...re-in-command/
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar