Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
AlanWF

2015 Alpine 3010RE Gray water

Has anyone had problems with galley gray water tank filling up fast?
AlanWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:48 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanWF View Post

You need to provide a lot more specifics; trailer; year; holding tank capacity; etc. Anyone will have a problem with a gray tank filling quickly if they don't take care. How do you use it? How many people? How long? Lots more info is needed if anyone is to be able to help.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:01 AM   #3
5J's

If I have full hook ups I typically leave my gray tank open until the morning before check out. That way it doesn't get full but I still capture a full days worth of gray water to rinse my hose after a black flush.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:31 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5J's View Post
If I have full hook ups I typically leave my gray tank open until the morning before check out. That way it doesn't get full but I still capture a full days worth of gray water to rinse my hose after a black flush.

You mean closed?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:41 AM   #5
DocP

Quote:
Way too many unanswered questions to adequately answer. I note that this is your first post, so are you fairly new to campers? Quite simply, you cannot use your RV plumbing system the same way you do at home. You would be amazed at how many gallons of water are used when you keep the shower running the whole time, the kitchen or bath faucet running while you wash the dishes, and so on. All of this water (obviously) dumps into the gray water tank, and it can fill up very, very quickly.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:49 AM   #6
5J's

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
You mean closed?
No sir, I leave my gray tank open until the day before check out. If I leave on Sunday I'll close my gray water on Saturday morning.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

Old 09-05-2018, 05:21 AM   #7
ChuckS

Some of the Alpines have the washer plumbed into the galley tank... I have a 2014 Alpine and that’s how mine is plumbed.. So if you are using the clothes washer then yes your galley tank will fill faster..

I would also not ever leave my gray tank dump valves open when hooked to RV Park sewer.. open them once every other day and then close.. if left open you are inviting sewer aroma and other things to come up that hose into your RV.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:51 AM   #8
AlanWF

Gray water issue 2015 Alpine 3010RE

I have a 2015 Alpine 3010RE with two gray water tanks (82 gallons total). On our first trip the kitchen galley sink gray water tank filled up after two days of limited use. The other gray tank is for the washer (which we don't have), the bathroom sink and shower. My wife & I are the only ones in the camper. We only had electric & water hook-up. When I emptied the tank for the shower there was very little water in it even though we showered every day. My concern is that somehow the shower area is draining into the kitchen gray water tank. Has anyone experienced this and if so, how did you fix the problem?
AlanWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:57 AM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Some of the Alpines have the washer plumbed into the galley tank... I have a 2014 Alpine and that’s how mine is plumbed.. So if you are using the clothes washer then yes your galley tank will fill faster..

I would also not ever leave my gray tank dump valves open when hooked to RV Park sewer.. open them once every other day and then close.. if left open you are inviting sewer aroma and other things to come up that hose into your RV.
If you're gauging the amount in your tanks by the sensor indicators on the wall, DON'T, they basically tell you the little red lights work not necessary what's in your holding tanks.
Drop a sag in your sewer hose creating a P trap & no odors, easily done, do it every time I connect the hose. We have a w/d, lavatory sink & shower into 1 grey tank so that valve is left open when hooked up otherwise I'd be out there every day. I'll close the valve a day or 2 prior to dumping the black. In 10 years fulltiming no problems, no odors.
You're also 1 of several that mentioned "other things" coming up the hose, just curious, what "other things" & where would they go if they did come up the hose? I've been to numerous sites that the previous camper didn't replace the sewer cap & have never seen any type of "other things" coming out of it!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:09 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

I think the first objective, in this situation, would be to confirm where each drain collects and which tanks are involved with each drain. At this point, it's "suspicion" that the shower "might" drain into the galley gray tank.

I'd suggest emptying all the tanks, run the shower for about 10 minutes (about 2.5 gal/min = 25 gallons) and then walking outside, pulling the galley handle and "visually observe" whether the galley gray tank remains empty. Then do the same (starting with empty tanks again) with the bathroom vanity. Determine where it drains, then do the same with the galley sink, determine where it drains. If you have any other drains that collect in the holding tanks, then also test their "final drain collection point"....

To end this, without knowing exactly where each tank drains, you'll be hard pressed to mold or change behavior. As an example, at home, my DW runs hot water in the sink when washing dishes and rinses each dish in that "everflowing stream". She completely changes her dishwashing behavior when in the trailer and partially fills one sink to rinse soapy water from the dishes after washing. The first couple of times we camped, she used all the water in the trailer the first day, just washing dishes after lunch and after dinner. There was no water to flush the toilet that evening. It was all in the galley tank. Now, we can go for 5 days on our 43 gallon fresh water supply. That includes 2 or 3 showers each as well as dishes for meals where we use "other than paper/plastic plates".....

First, determine where each drain goes, then set about to modify behavior to minimize water use in those areas where the tank fills too quickly. Sometimes it's not comfortable to modify, sometimes it's easy. Every camper learns what to endure and what to change......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:10 AM   #11
5J's

Quote:
I have a 2015 Alpine 3010RE with two gray water tanks (82 gallons total). On our first trip the kitchen galley sink gray water tank filled up after two days of limited use. The other gray tank is for the washer (which we don't have), the bathroom sink and shower. My wife & I are the only ones in the camper. We only had electric & water hook-up. When I emptied the tank for the shower there was very little water in it even though we showered every day. My concern is that somehow the shower area is draining into the kitchen gray water tank. Has anyone experienced this and if so, how did you fix the problem?
Not having full hook ups is a game changer. There is some good advice on how to determine what fixture empties into which tank. I have seen conversations on here about fixtures being plumbed into the wrong tanks. I'm not familiar with your layout but, I guess if the kitchen and bathroom are close together then plumbing into the wrong tanks is a possibility. Let us know what you find.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

Old 09-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #12
haywire17

Had a problem with my carbon. First find out what size tank you have.then get a water counter from home depot in the sprinkler section i think 20bucks drain tank completely then using hose with meter attached see how many gals. You can fill till it backs up.did mine 3 times. Do they match tank size n gals?. My problem was 38 tank 24 in pulled under belly found incorrectly installed main plumbing line installer pushed up on pipe creating an angle and would not allow tank to drain completely. Had to redo the plumb to get it corrected . After i got 42 gals in tank 3 x....

Fresh water they installed the vent wrong creating a trap. 110 gals. Only get 72 in. Trap had a droop on it ...rerouted trap on steady upward pitch now it holds 128 gal. All manufacture issues from the line.
haywire17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #13
Alpine2015

I also have a 2015 Alpine 3010RE - and I have the same situation. The kitchen sink grey water tank fills rather quickly. I found the DW uses a lot more water doing dishes than she thought!! I also found (the hard way) that the bathroom sink drains into the black tank while the second grey tank is shower only.
Alpine2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #14
larryflew

I do but mine is my wife being a bit ADHD when it comes to dirty dishes. Put something in the sink it needs to be washed and rinsed.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #15
larryflew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post

My kitchen grey is separate tank and due to my previous statement regarding my wife's dish washing I leave it open and make a trap in the drain hose to elimate the sewer gases backing up.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:06 PM   #16
Local150

I just used different color food coloring mixed in water to tell which tank is which
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:25 AM   #17
ron130fe

The tanks might be mislabeled, I have two grey tanks and 1 black, well I decided to let one of my “labeled Grey” tank drain into the grass (no sewer) and guess what....yep you guessed it it was actually the black tank. Lesson learned double check the labeling.
Retired C-130 Loadmaster (wife)
ron130fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:56 PM   #18
huhhhhh

Yes because those brain surgeons at Keystone plumbed my 2nd toilet to the galley tank.
Still torqued off about that. I'll end my rant here before I get banned from the site.
See also: Wizard, Magician.

2012 Fuzion 405
huhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:38 AM   #19
GlennB724

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron130fe View Post
The tanks might be mislabeled, I have two grey tanks and 1 black, well I decided to let one of my “labeled Grey” tank drain into the grass (no sewer) and guess what....yep you guessed it it was actually the black tank. Lesson learned double check the labeling.
DITO THAT!!! This was our first RV when purchased last year ... and a VERY unpleasant lesson on how these beasts are POORLY constructed with NO quality control. Everything from nuisance label issues like this, to things simply falling apart in the camper... a LONG list of problems that shouldn't be.
GlennB724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:16 PM   #20
huhhhhh

Not mislabeled. Grey handle empty's galley tank. While running kitchen sink faucet you can hold open the toilet flap and see the sink water going into the galley tank, which also in Keystoned's infant wisdom is also now a black tank. Make you wonder how many of their employees can actually read or write.
See also: Wizard, Magician.

2012 Fuzion 405
huhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine, water