Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2016, 11:02 AM   #1
NJdudette

Fifth Wheel Hitch Question

Ok, I admittedly do not know a whole lot about fifth wheel hitches. I kind of got talked into buying a fifth wheel after having a regular trailer for a number of years. I'm looking to upgrade my ride and am wondering if hitches are vehicle specific? I was under the impression I could move my hitch from one vehicle to another, assuming of course I keep the same trailer. I have a Reese 16k fifth wheel hitch and have a Reese Sidewinder on my trailer. I'm looking to upgrade from a Ford F150 to a Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD. Can I use my existing hitch in the Chevy?
NJdudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:25 AM   #2
Rhino

Yes, you will just need Reese bed rails installed in your new truck.
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:15 PM   #3
homer3

no expert, but i would think it would be OK depending on your setup. May have to adjust the height that both your hitch and pin box are currently set at

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:27 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Fifth wheel hitches are not vehicle specific. Some mounting hardware is. The bed rails are all pretty much the same, it's the brackets underneath that can vary based on model year of your truck.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:43 PM   #5
bsmith0404

As everyone has already said, yes you can use the hitch in the Silverado. Get the custom install kit. I like buying hitch products from e-trailer, they have everything you need at good prices. The custom install kit will make installation much easier over the universal kit.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:16 PM   #6
NJdudette

Thanks everyone! Looks like I'll be upgrading my ride. Can't believe I won't be driving a Ford anymore.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:42 PM   #7
Dr Bobs Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJdudette View Post
Thanks everyone! Looks like I'll be upgrading my ride. Can't believe I won't be driving a Ford anymore.
Not let your heart be troubled. I too have gone to a 2015 Chevy 2500HD and have not regretted it at all. Like others have said, the only thing that is truck specific is the under the bed kit for the rails that go into the bed. Check out curtmfg.com. That is were I found some good install videos for installing their product.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:16 AM   #8
TomHaycraft

Quote:
Ok, I admittedly do not know a whole lot about fifth wheel hitches. I kind of got talked into buying a fifth wheel after having a regular trailer for a number of years. I'm looking to upgrade my ride and am wondering if hitches are vehicle specific? I was under the impression I could move my hitch from one vehicle to another, assuming of course I keep the same trailer. I have a Reese 16k fifth wheel hitch and have a Reese Sidewinder on my trailer. I'm looking to upgrade from a Ford F150 to a Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD. Can I use my existing hitch in the Chevy?
I started with the Reese R16 and Sidewinder with my 1st trailer and short-bed 1/2 ton Chevy. When moving up to the 3500HD, I went long wheel base, have the same R16 and pinned the Sidewinder. The Sidewinder is a versatile pinbox, was one of many selling points on upgrades when I sold that trailer.

Good luck, I think you'll enjoy the stability and experience pulling the 5er, as compared to the TT.
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:23 AM   #9
bsmith0404

Quote:
Congratulation! There's a point in everyone's life when they decide to move on up

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #10
NJdudette

Unfortunately it appears that my hitch can't be installed with an under bed rail system on the Chevy 2500. The dealer has called a few places and each place said my hitch wouldn't fit. I could install above the bed rails, but I don't want to do that and my hitch is less than a year old and I don't feel like spending more money to buy another hitch. Looks like the deal isn't going to happen
Old 08-16-2016, 09:51 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Unfortunately it appears that my hitch can't be installed with an under bed rail system on the Chevy 2500. The dealer has called a few places and each place said my hitch wouldn't fit. I could install above the bed rails, but I don't want to do that and my hitch is less than a year old and I don't feel like spending more money to buy another hitch. Looks like the deal isn't going to happen
I think a lot of us are going to be confused by your statement. So, please go back to your first post in this thread and see if you "left out some vital information"..... I believe all of us are of the impression that your Reese 16K fifth wheel hitch simply "pins into common bed rails" mounted inside your truck bed.

In your last post, you indicated that the Chevy 2500 has an "under bed rail system". Do you mean the "new puck system" ??? If so, there will probably be an adapter plate that you can purchase to "replace the in bed rails" so that you can use an "old style fifth wheel hitch" with the "new style puck system".... When Ford started offering their "puck system" it was about 6 months before Reese developed the adapter plate and when RAM started selling their "puck system" it took about 9 months until Reese offered their adapter for it. To date, I don't believe anyone is offering an adapter plate for the GM "puck system" but it's only a matter of time before it will be available. Here's a link to the Ford and RAM adapters: https://www.reese-hitches.com/catego..._Adapters,1650

Just my hunch, but is this adapter what you're talking about needing?

ADDED: CURT Hitch does offer a gooseneck to fifth wheel rail system, so if the Chevy under bed "puck system" has a gooseneck capability, you may want to look at the CURT gooseneck adapter which would probably adapt to your Reese "conventional rail" fifth wheel hitch. http://www.curtmfg.com/Category/55/5...apter%20Plates

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #12
NJdudette

Sorry if I confused everyone. I'm sill learning some of the camping and fifth wheel lingo.

I currently own a Ford F150 with the rails installed on/in the truck bed. At first I didn't think it would be a big deal as I'm not someone who hauls dirt/gravel/manly stuff in my truck bed. But it can be a hassle at times as I need to be careful how and what I slide into the truck bed.

While researching trucks I discovered that the rails could be installed underneath a truck (puck system) and even some trucks came with the pucks factory installed. This new truck doesn't have the pucks factory installed. I thought I could have the under bed rails installed on the Chevy and then use a Reese adapter to use my hitch, but as you said JRTJH, Reese doesn't make it for Chevy.

As much as I'd love to get this truck, it has a couple of options I don't need and it can't do what I want it to do: NOT have rails on top/in my truck bed. I think I may have to wait till next year to look for a truck. This one looks nice though!!

I hope that made sense this time!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3579.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	11076  
Old 08-16-2016, 12:23 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Yep, now it "comes together" and the light is shining. I'm guessing that Reese and/or CURT will be making a "picture frame" adapter for the GM puck system before too long. The aftermarket program seems to be running 6 to 12 months behind the OEM market. I had a Reese adapter plate for the puck system in my 2013 F250. It worked "OK" at best, but wasn't as "neat and tidy" as the hitch leg adapter setup. While I could take the adapter plate out and have a "clean bed", when the adapter plate and the hitch were installed, it all sat about 2" higher than it would have with the "legs only" version. In my 2015 F250, that 2" made the hitch sit "too high" and I couldn't get the trailer to tow level. So I finally bought the CURT leg setup for my CURT hitch head and did away with the "picture frame adapter". While it worked, it wasn't the "best setup".

So, my advice to you would be, if you're seriously considering the GM puck system, rather than spending $350 on an adapter plate, wait for Reese to offer the "GM puck leg" system for your current hitch. It'll cost you about the same and will give you a much better "outcome" as far as usability of the hitch when installed and easier removal of the system when you want a "clean bed"...

Who knows, Reese may already have the leg system available to "update" your current hitch head to fit the GM puck system.

But, you won't find a "Ford or RAM setup" that fits the GM. Unfortunately, all three of the truck manufacturers have their own system and none of them are compatible.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:41 AM   #14
tech740

Another option is put in a goose neck and curt makes a gooseneck to rails adapter. I have one in my ram. Then when not in use you take it out and the bed is smooth. Only issue is you can't use a sidewinder. I had one of those also and had to go back to the factory pinbox.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160506_233638.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	11078  

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:24 AM   #15
Quiroule

Would that do it?

http://www.curtmfg.com/part/16061

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #16
Desert185

Being a narrowminded fan of Andersen Ultimate hitches, and if one already has a gooseneck ball (like the excellent B&W turnover ball), why not just go with the www.andersenhitches.com lightweight, yet capable 24,000# system for a clean bed when the hitch is easily removed?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote