Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2018, 10:29 AM   #1
Kojac

Leaking Storage Compartment

I have a Keystone Laredo 2016 28.5 BHS and my front right hand side storage door leaks. The water seems to build up at the bottom of door. I have replaced the rubber seal once already but it continues to leak. Has anyone had this problem that could help me out?
Kojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #2
slow

It may not be the bottom seal, but rather the top hinge extrusion. Many of us have solved a leak issue by running a bead of silicone where the frame and hinge extrusion meet at the top of the storage compartment door.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8013.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	18434
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:10 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Does the door lie right under a roof rain gutter downspout? I had a trailer that once had this issue and the downspout was a short one and water just rolled down the side of the trailer where it eventually made its way into the storage compartment. Fixed it by adding an over-length downspout which sat our from the roof a couple inches. The water was coming from the A/C drip but may also have some rain as the cause.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:36 PM   #4
Steveo57

Mine leaked through the screws attaching the frame of the door. It was screwed in through the side of the frame and each screw was a hole for the water to run right in.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:45 PM   #5
captbozy

Agreed

I agree with Slow. The hinge appears to be one piece. There is a joint that needs to be sealed.
captbozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #6
Kojac

Thanks for all the answers, I will try the silicone over hinges and see if that works.
Kojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 04:58 PM   #7
Hali_Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
It may not be the bottom seal, but rather the top hinge extrusion. Many of us have solved a leak issue by running a bead of silicone where the frame and hinge extrusion meet at the top of the storage compartment door.

Attachment 18434
Thanks for the info. Just so I'm clear, you siliconed underneath the C shaped part, along the frame of the hatch door, as opposed to above the C shaped part where it meets the trailer?
Hali_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:38 PM   #8
slow

Above the C shaped hinge next to the head of the screw in the image.

The frame against the wall is a separate part from the C shaped hinge. At first glance it looks like one part but it is not. Thereby creating a leak path.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 03:50 AM   #9
spicercars

Hope you can find your leak. Welcome from northern MN.
Old 08-13-2023, 07:48 AM   #10
Alibaddy

The small off door side locker door is leaking on our 2021 Alpine 3650rl. I replaced the gasketing with rubber gasket supplied by my dealer but it was different from the gasket that was originally there. The new gasket is a ribbed high density rubber with less flexibility than the original. The original was more like the weather stripping on a car. By that I mean it was a rubber hollow tube with a flat backing. I have checked with a hose and water is still coming in around the gasket. We had a heavy rainstorm yesterday and I had a puddle in the locker on that side about half an inch deep and extending about a foot from the door. When I installed the new gasketing, I ensured that I had removed all traces of the old gasket and I bonded the new gasket to the flange of the frame. Closing the door was very difficult because this gasketing is so thick. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I would be better to install the gasketing on the back face of the door. That is not the way it is done on any of the other lockers but I think that might allow it to slide into place without creating a wrinkle in the gasket. If anybody has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.
Alibaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 08:26 AM   #11
Ewad-29RLI

Alibaddy -- Its been a while since you posted. Did you get this issue revolved? If so, what did you do? Thanks
Old 01-15-2024, 05:34 AM   #12
Alibaddy

Yes, thanks for the enquiry. Gaskets did not resolve the issue. Water from the roof overwhelmed the gaskets in a severely heavy rainfall. So, I purchased a Grace aluminum drip cap and I was still testing, so it is duct taped over the locker currently. We are in Florida for the winter, and have had two very heavy downpours since I put it on, without a drop of water entering the locker. As soon as dry weather returns, I will paint it and remount with 3M extreme.bond tape.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:56 PM   #13
Alibaddy

Drip cap

Here is a photo of the Grace drip cap. I painted it black and fastened with 3M tape except for one screw at each end. I used Lexel sealant across the top. We had almost 8 inches of rain in 8 hours, and none entered the locker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240118_163802.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	46055  

Tags
leak, storage