Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2018, 10:08 AM   #1
Cracker

Eliminate the awning

I’ve come to the conclusion, after 50 plus years of camping experience, that awnings, with all of their problems, are a worthless accessory at our age. If it’s hot or raining, we stay in the trailer. If it’s a nice day we’re usually roaming away from the RV park. If it’s evening, and nice weather, the awning isn’t needed. I would much rather have a good detached screen room - that I can replace five or six times for the cost of an attached awning - not to mention the protection it offers from bugs. Over the years, I can’t count the number of times I’ve rushed out at night to lower the awning due to an un-expected shower - and, in Florida, a “shower” constitutes a major thunderstorm in many other States. I’m the second Owner of my present Cougar. The previous Owner apparently incurred a significant rainstorm, when the awning was extended, that pooled enough water to slightly bend the tube (—-it may have been bent more than what now shows!) At 13 years old, the canvas needs replacing, along with the tube, and the benefits simply don’t balance the costs and related aggravations just mentioned. With that in mind, it’s coming off. I have, however, conceded the benefit/cost analysis of the slide-out topper awning - and it stays.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
I’ve come to the conclusion, after 50 plus years of camping experience, that awnings, with all of their problems, are a worthless accessory at our age. If it’s hot or raining, we stay in the trailer. If it’s a nice day we’re usually roaming away from the RV park. If it’s evening, and nice weather, the awning isn’t needed. I would much rather have a good detached screen room - that I can replace five or six times for the cost of an attached awning - not to mention the protection it offers from bugs. Over the years, I can’t count the number of times I’ve rushed out at night to lower the awning due to an un-expected shower - and, in Florida, a “shower” constitutes a major thunderstorm in many other States. I’m the second Owner of my present Cougar. The previous Owner apparently incurred a significant rainstorm, when the awning was extended, that pooled enough water to slightly bend the tube (—-it may have been bent more than what now shows!) At 13 years old, the canvas needs replacing, along with the tube, and the benefits simply don’t balance the costs and related aggravations just mentioned. With that in mind, it’s coming off. I have, however, conceded the benefit/cost analysis of the slide-out topper awning - and it stays.

Check out the Clam enclosures; they're very nice and SO easy to put up and take down.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:53 PM   #3
travelin texans

It's odd of what different folk like & dislike! I have 2 awnings on mine & really like them, but NEVER leave them out at night or if leaving the rv, & fortunately with the push of a button, unlike the old manual ones, they are rolled up in about 30 seconds if a storm blows in. I've also set mine at a steep enough pitch that they do not hold water.
Mine also has slide toppers that I'd gladly do away with, they're noisy in the wind, holds water when it rains & unlike the awnings you CANNOT roll them up when wind blows or a storm rolls in, you just have to listen to them pop & flap or pull the slides in.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #4
Cracker

I’m hoping that replacement canvas (already ordered) and setting the proper tension in the roller will eliminate the issues you pointed out. I haven’t experienced the wind noise issue you mentioned, but that could be a deal breaker. I’m not opposed to writing off the cost of the new canvas and tossing the topper if it doesn’t work out.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:18 PM   #5
Cracker

Just what are “Clam Enclosures?” It sounds like you’re pulling my leg!
Old 08-19-2018, 03:26 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
Just what are “Clam Enclosures?” It sounds like you’re pulling my leg!

Not at all! I've got one after doing a lot of research and wanting what you're talking about....an unattached outside enclosure. Haven't used it yet, sitting in the barn just waiting for us to take it out. We did put it up/take it down in the back yard and it is just as easy as the video shows. They make several models; here's a link:

Old 08-19-2018, 04:11 PM   #7
travelin texans

My son bought one & it does go up quickly & very roomy. The only drawback is most of the privately owned parks we go to don't allow any type of seperate structure on your site, state/national parks no problems.
I still wouldn't leave it up in heavy rains, we've lost 3 or 4 of the good 10'×10' gazebos to heavy rains, the last 2 had very steep pitched tops & still held water & collapsed the legs.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:13 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

Seems whenever we park at an RV park the trailer is pointed north and south meaning the brunt of summer sun falls on the trailer in the morning or evening and the awning helps keep some of that sun off one side of the trailer during the hot parts of the day. For us, that is the main benefit. Here in my area of the world, when it gets and hour or so before sunset, the wind often comes up and if the awning is out, I often have to find my pants and put the thing up. Don't have an electric motor to raise or lower mine.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
My son bought one & it does go up quickly & very roomy. The only drawback is most of the privately owned parks we go to don't allow any type of seperate structure on your site, state/national parks no problems.
I still wouldn't leave it up in heavy rains, we've lost 3 or 4 of the good 10'×10' gazebos to heavy rains, the last 2 had very steep pitched tops & still held water & collapsed the legs.

As far as rains, for us, the jury is out. I talked to the Clam folks and rain was not an issue. After erecting it I'm thinking, barring a flood, it will be fine. I think others on the forum have it and have good luck in rain. I've had dismal results with about 4-5 outside "screened porches" with metal frames. From being difficult to erect/take down to loose fabric etc. Hopefully this one remedies those shortfalls.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:41 PM   #10
Jefster

The clam structure is awesome in the rain. Ours has sides that unroll and zip in place to become fully enclosed, so you don't get dripped on around the edges. I still do the travel with it all the time, but whenever we're set up in one place more that a few days it's well worth packing. Ours is huge, I can fit a picnic table on one side and all the bag chairs around the other.

As for the awning, it doesn't offer a lot of shade most of the time when. You need it most. Some rain protection, yes, but they are so high above your head anymore, even that is negligible.
Jefster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:42 PM   #11
Cracker

As of 6:30 pm today my 2005 Cougar no longer has the large roll-out awning. Tomorrow I’ll fill, or otherwise take care of the mounting holes, and I’m feeling better already. I’ve pre-tensioned the tube for the slide-out awning - due to arrive Wednesday - and that should install in a matter of minutes. All of the removed Carefree awning parts are in good condition with the exception of the awning roller itself (slight bend) and the awning fabric. I know that it’s unlikely, but if anybody wants the hardware they’re welcome to it. All it takes is a trip to Maine!
Old 08-27-2018, 04:25 PM   #12
rhagfo

Well different strokes for different folks!
We have one 21’X 12’ awning and we leave it out all the time. We spent 3 months on the Oregon Coast and and only pulled it in twice. Once for the first Gale warning and once when we were concerned about high surf flooding our site, and we needed to move to higher ground!
It is a manual awning so the structure is stronger, that and I secure it with three ratchet straps, one at each end and one in the center.
We always drop one end for drainage and never had an issue. Th straps are only taunt just keeping the play and rattle out of the frame.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:05 PM   #13
Crookedread

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
It's odd of what different folk like & dislike! I have 2 awnings on mine & really like them, but NEVER leave them out at night or if leaving the rv, & fortunately with the push of a button, unlike the old manual ones, they are rolled up in about 30 seconds if a storm blows in. I've also set mine at a steep enough pitch that they do not hold water.
Mine also has slide toppers that I'd gladly do away with, they're noisy in the wind, holds water when it rains & unlike the awnings you CANNOT roll them up when wind blows or a storm rolls in, you just have to listen to them pop & flap or pull the slides in.
I hate the Slide Toppers too so I use a "Slide Dryer" instead. You can find them at RoundButte.com.

2017 Cougar 26 SABWE
2016 Silverado 4x4 Duramax
Crookedread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:35 PM   #14
Pull Toy

We always put our awning out just to keep dew and rain water from becoming an issue when entering/exiting the camper. Granted, it is easier now that we use a button, rather than to remember the last time we saw "THE D**M* HOOK"!

We do all of our cooking right next to (or under, an EZ UP) depending on the weather. We also carry a Instant Shade panel that threads into the awning track and a few tent stakes if our "Solar Orientation" is unacceptable! LOL Five years in this one, and no BACON odor!

In the old school days, we learned to tip the "Pull Outs"... Now our awning dumps automatically. PLUS... Depending on the sight, I can still manually direct the water flow, fore or aft, by "tipping and locking".

No thanks, I'll keep mine, jus' because... after all these years, why change "What ain't broke?"

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #15
Carrottop

I have had a clam for 4 years now and it is still like new. We also purchased the privacy shields to go over the screens. We have had this up through strong storms and lots of rain and everything inside stayed perfectly dry. It takes my wife and I 3 minutes to setup including beer breaks.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:14 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Awning/no awning, Coke/Pepsi, Almond Joy/Mounds. What's good for you is great and what's good for me is great, as long as it doesn't hurt someone else.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #17
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As far as rains, for us, the jury is out. I talked to the Clam folks and rain was not an issue.
Of course the Clam folks would say that! They want to sell it to you, not talk you out of it. Salesmen are just that, paid to sell.
K&N 71-1561 Air Intake w/FlowMaster Exhaust system.
jack65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:06 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack65 View Post
Of course the Clam folks would say that! They want to sell it to you, not talk you out of it. Salesmen are just that, paid to sell.

Yep, I get that. We've not had ours out in a rain; in fact, it won't be deployed until we get to FL at the end of Oct., but, after putting it up here, and reading the testaments of owners, I'm not worried. We've had other poled screen enclosures that 1) flooded you in a rain and everything got wet and 2) REALLY wanted to go "somewhere else" in a wind. I figure it will be just fine and live up to its perceived reputation....and, if not, it's just a screened enclosure; albeit a very handy one.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:35 PM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

[QUOTE=Cracker;302943]I’ve come to the conclusion, after 50 plus years of camping experience, that awnings, with all of their problems, are a worthless accessory at our age.
For many of us "at our age" teeth are an accessory but I won't leave home without them!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:34 AM   #20
Carvendive

We have the 20' awning. To it, I've added the 7' shade screen. LOVE IT! Thankfully it's motorized so I never think twice about retracting it if the weather is iffy.

We also use a clam. Waterproof - no way! But I still find it VERY usefull in buggy areas. PS: for some reason I thought I'd read it was good up to 60 mph winds. I left it out for a Florida squall. I had all the corner stakes plus all the mid panel stakes in the ground. I blew away. I retrieved it and found all the bottom grommet straps had failed. I've re stitched them all with 80# braided fishing line.
Carvendive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning