Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2018, 04:05 PM   #1
Luvkoi

Roof clean and reseal

Waiting to get our 2009 Passport back from have our awning replaced, (unexpected storm took it out) and thinking we will clean the roof and reseal it before we use it again. I guess we were remiss in not doing it at the end of last yr when we bought it. What is the recommended sealant everyone uses? I know dh will do it but he's going to want me to "get the stuff".
Old 07-18-2018, 05:06 PM   #2
Canonman

I've seen a lot of recommendations for aerospace 303 used as a UV protectant for RV roofs. https://www.amazon.com/303-30306-Aer.../dp/B000XBCURW
I've used it for two seasons now and it seems to protect as advertised.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4791.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	17541  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
Canonman

Just a quick follow up. 303 is a protectant used on the entire roof. You might be referring to resealing around the vents, pipes and other openings on the roof. That's done with Dicor self leveling sealant. Apologizes for the confusion.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:10 PM   #4
bill-e

By re-seal do you mean like around the vent pipes, vents, antenna etc? If so you want to use Dicor self leveling lapping sealant.

Dicor

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:13 PM   #5
Luvkoi

I'm clueless. But, I think we we need to inspect for resealing needs around vents, etc. Then, wash and put something on for continuous protection of the roof.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:17 PM   #6
bill-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvkoi View Post
I'm clueless. But, I think we we need to inspect for resealing needs around vents, etc. Then, wash and put something on for continuous protection of the roof.
Yep, Dicor if you find any cracks in the sealant. As for a a whole roof sealant, I've never done that...not saying that one shouldn't but I've not.

Manchester where? Might be more important depending on where you live and camp.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 07-18-2018, 05:23 PM   #7
Luvkoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
Yep, Dicor if you find any cracks in the sealant. As for a a whole roof sealant, I've never done that...not saying that one shouldn't but I've not.

Manchester where? Might be more important depending on where you live and camp.

NH from April till November. Then, Southern, Alabama through the winter. Now I am confused. I thought we were supposed to seal the roof to protect it from the elements. 🤷*♀️
Old 07-18-2018, 05:30 PM   #8
bill-e

Southwest NH here. I just got this from a google search. I might consider doing it when I clean it again.

I cover my camper for the winter.

http://www.trailerlife.com/tech/diy/...-tiptop-shape/

"Rubber roofs technically don’t need any further protection, but treating the surface with a quality protectant will make subsequent washing easier and provide another layer of protection against the elements."

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 07-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Yes, you should. Many folks use many different things to clean and seal their roofs. I can no longer get on mine so I have it done at the dealership for about $300. It is a 2 part Dicor process and they use what appears to be gallon cans. Below is a link to what is probably the same stuff and shows how to clean/seal. Remember ALL seams and attachments on the roof will probably have Dicor lap sealant that can, and will, crack and split and must be repaired. You MUST look at it extremely closely because some of the splits can just look like a little crease. If it sits in the sun the roof can age quickly and badly. Good luck.

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:40 PM   #10
Luvkoi

Thanks! Looks doable.
On the upside, I guess we can be thankful that this year, we won't need to clean the awning. ROFL
Old 07-19-2018, 06:04 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Dicor makes two kinds of sealant that you might want to look at. Self Leveling is for around roof penetrations as it spreads out some and covers old sealant nicely. The other is NON self leveling which you would use where seams are vertical or on the sides of the trailer. It doesn't run. If you get the self leveling and go around something; say a window, it will run down the side of the trailer and make a disgusting mess. The stuff can be cleaned but use the right sealant and you won't have to.

Your roof is essentially a thin rubber sheet. The rubber is BLACK and colored with a white pigment. If there are black spots on your roof, the roof is starting to wear as the pigment is gone or going. Scrubbing won't make the roof white again and you should be budgeting for a new roof.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:41 AM   #12
rogeru

Just m2cw.... I like using the PROTECTAL brand Cleaner and Sealer on my roof. It is a bit more difficult to use though, because it's very strong and you can NOT allow it to rinse down the sides of the trailer, or it will streak it. But, once you catch on as to a good method, it REALLY cleans well, and with little mess. The Sealer is just as easy to use as the other brands. I'm sure that there are a lot of good quality cleaners and sealers too, so just check out how they each are applied. I've found that I only need to use it twice a year, too. (But I do keep ours covered in the winter months while in storage). Best of luck with what works for YOU!
rogeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #13
Wantoride

Without a doubt, check your roof twice a year and cover it in the winter. I’ve been dealing with a front corner leak. We moved about a year ago and the trailer didn’t get any attention. It only takes a small crack in the sealant.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:48 PM   #14
johnlewis

Do you have an EPDM (rubber) roof? If so, your RV is about the age when you should use the Dicor cleaner/activator and Acrylic Roof Coating. We did our 2006 Montana last year, and the difference was dramatic. The cleaner/activator, followed by pressure washing made it look better. 2 coats of the Acrylic Roof Coating made it look almost new.
We did a lot of prep work, to be sure all joints were sealed before we started. Using the Dicor system took about 6 hours, including drying time between cleaner/activator and between coats of the coating. What took the longest was "wrapping" the RV in plastic film, to keep the sides from being damaged by the cleaner/activator. We have been extremely happy with the results. At the end of sourdough's YouTube on Dicor cleaning products, there are other videos. The "RV Rubber Roof Coating System" in the lower right hand corner shows this product we used. Good luck!
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:04 PM   #15
fjr vfr

It doesn't sound like you need to re-coat your roof or anything major. You need to inspect it and touch up any seems that look like they need it. It's like caulking around your house windows except you're using a different type of caulking.
You then need to clean it. Several RV technicians have told me they use Simple Green added to a bucket of water. I did this with our last trailer and it worked well. What ever you use needs to be a mild detergent.

The rubber roof is like an inner tube for a tire except one side is white to reflect uv light and heat.
Like someone said earlier, if you are seeing areas of black showing through the roof it either needs replacing or re-sealing with a roof coating product like Dicor sells.
But first thing is the inspection. Till you do that you don't know what you need. If you even need to do anything?

Also if there is an rv store not far talk to them. I find the parts person usually can set you in the right direction.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:40 PM   #16
tylerj1966
Gone Traveling

The absolutely best roof coating out there is from Ron, "the RV roof man" in Sacramento, CA. He mixes his own formula and it is quite pricey. But he warranties his coating for 30 years for a self install. He also sells a product so much better than the self-leveling sealant for around any vents, etc. The roof sealant reminds me of a thick latex, but is easy to apply with a paint roller after pressure washing the roof. I did my 14 year old Raptor this spring at the same time my neighbor did his roof with the Dicor brand. His bubbled, mine didn't and looks brand new. Ron also has installers all over the country if you don't want to do it yourself. He offers a lifetime warranty if he installs. You won't regret it.
tylerj1966 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof