Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
Cac758

Extended service warranty

We just purchased a new Passport and had the option to buy a 6 year "Extended Seevice Warrenty" from CampingWorld for for $2270. The finance guy states that it covered everything after a $50 deductible but I heard a service tech talking about diagnostic charges and all shipping of parts is extra. Anyone use these extended warranties or are they a waste?
Cac758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Get a copy of that extended warranty and read the exclusions. There is, at least as far as I have seen, NO extended warranty that covers "everything"....

Read the fine print before you shell out $2200 for something that, I can assure you, the finance guy is misrepresenting.

I'm not saying don't buy an extended warranty, but don't think, for a second, that it "covers everything"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:33 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I agree. I had “Easy Care” 5 yr with a $100.00 deductible. We have worked on several units and most if not all extended warranties will cover “component failure” but not materials and workmanship. When my AC failed it only cost me $100.00 out of my pocket.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
Badbart56

I got a 2 year extended warranty with mine. So far it paid for my gas station pump and my awning motor. I think I'm out about $220 dollars.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:31 PM   #5
roadglide

I got coach net might be ok for classes a mine only covers mechanical that's 6 motors that would be slide motors and landing gear . . In my case I have to take It to the incompet dealer because it with in 100 miles. That money I spent on extended warranty would go along way to buying parts .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:23 PM   #6
Canonman

Are they a waste?? They certainly can be. They are really an insurance policy. You pay the deductible and the policy covers the repairs minus shipping. If your trailer has multiple slides, auto leveling, awning etc. then it may be a good idea. The simpler the trailer the less you'll need the extended coverage.
Note specifically in the contract what is not covered and the circumstances when normally covered items are not covered You really need to do the preventive maintenance things outlined by the different component manufactures and keep all the documentation that the work was done.
Have the finance guy read the contract aloud with you. It will make more sense and you can ask important questions as you go.
All that said we opted for the warranty. Just too many moving parts to break down and we use the Cougar a lot, so we expected wear and tear things will need to be replaced.
So far we're slightly ahead of the cost curve. YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Proxy Falls 2018 (7 of 11).jpg
Views:	99
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	17462  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:30 AM   #7
schoolsOut

On a car I would never buy one, but on a camper I would consider-especially after what I am currrently experiencing with water intrusion from a side or possibly an incorrectly installed outside kitchen sink drain. Issues like these don’t usually show thenselves within the manufacturer warranty period. I have not read the fine print on one of the warranties to know what is covered, but if water leaks are then I would strongly consider.

schoolsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:46 AM   #8
Cac758

Thanks for all the replies! I'll have to check if leaks are covered or not. Our unit is fairly simple, passport 234, so I don't think there too much that can go wrong. My thoughts are
A) I don't want that lump sum added onto our loan as we intend to pay it off within the next 12-24 months
B) We'd like to paint/ change the interior some and I worry about them saying that would effect the warranty
C) we have the 1 year manufacture warranty so don't see the point paying the extended warranty for a year without using it.

ill have to look and see if they're good warranties I can add once the first year is up
Cac758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #9
bob91yj

I'm in the car business, service adviser at a Buick/GMC/Cadillac dealership.

These are the "gotchas" that I run across with extended warranties...

1. Must return to the selling dealer if you are within xxx miles of said dealer.

2. Exclusions...read them thoroughly, often times if an item is not specifically listed for coverage, it will NOT be covered.

3. Leaks...if the leak hasn't caused a failure of the component, the leak will not be covered. Head gaskets are the worst, leaking head gasket but the engine still runs...NOT COVERED.

4. Consumables are not always covered, fluids, etc. The one that really gets me is "one time fasteners" such as head bolts...NOT COVERED...how in the heck do your replace head gaskets/cracked cylinder head without replacing the head bolts.

5. Factory updates. Best example that comes to mind is the rear AC evaporator on a Buick/GMC Enclave/Acadia. Factory bulletin that wants the blower motor replaced if the evaporator is replaced. The story goes that bronze bushing filings in the blower motor were interacting with the evaporator material causing failures (not going to debate that one, just saying), bulletin calls for replacing the blower motor with the condenser. Blower motor still works, NOT COVERED.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:32 PM   #10
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91yj View Post
I'm in the car business, service adviser at a Buick/GMC/Cadillac dealership.

These are the "gotchas" that I run across with extended warranties...

1. Must return to the selling dealer if you are within xxx miles of said dealer.

2. Exclusions...read them thoroughly, often times if an item is not specifically listed for coverage, it will NOT be covered.

3. Leaks...if the leak hasn't caused a failure of the component, the leak will not be covered. Head gaskets are the worst, leaking head gasket but the engine still runs...NOT COVERED.

4. Consumables are not always covered, fluids, etc. The one that really gets me is "one time fasteners" such as head bolts...NOT COVERED...how in the heck do your replace head gaskets/cracked cylinder head without replacing the head bolts.

5. Factory updates. Best example that comes to mind is the rear AC evaporator on a Buick/GMC Enclave/Acadia. Factory bulletin that wants the blower motor replaced if the evaporator is replaced. The story goes that bronze bushing filings in the blower motor were interacting with the evaporator material causing failures (not going to debate that one, just saying), bulletin calls for replacing the blower motor with the condenser. Blower motor still works, NOT COVERED.
Thanks for an informative post from someone in the industry. Good to know the downsides of this "protection".
DW bought a vehicle and got the 3 year extended warranty for $2500 CDN. What the finance guy FAILED to tell her was that it ran concurrently with the 1 year remaining on the factory warranty and if she would have coughed up another $50 she would get the full amount back if the policy was not used (which it was not). Well not knowing she phoned at the expiry date and was informed no refund. Unfortunately we were not married at the time otherwise she would not have taken the extra warranty.
To say she was a bit peeved would be an understatement. I wonder if the dealership has to give back the commision if there is a refund at the end of the policy if not used.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:32 AM   #11
cavediver

I don't often buy them. I did buy one for my truck 2006 GMC 2500HD with 6.6 diesel. With about 1000 miles remaining, I lost the fuel pump in Tifton Ga. I took to a GM dealer there. The bill was $11,000. I paid $1000, that one was worth buying. I don't think that I've bought another one. But that one paid for itself. I bought it because it was the first year for the 6speed Allison, it's been great.

Jack
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty