Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #21
powerstrokedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonFun View Post
We purchased a Carbon 327 very recently after looking at many other toyhaulers that are out there. We decided on the Carbon 327 because of its great options, nice floor plan and many other reasons. The Carbon is a new 2014 toyhauler line for Keystone replacing the Raptor SE models of 2013. They price point is lower than the Raptor because the Carbons don't have some of the high end options available on them. These options include 6 way self leveling, rail and cable support for garage ramp, only includes (1) 30 gallon fuel tank, audio/video package is of lesser grade as well as some of the appointments of the interior.
Although there are some lesser quality interior decor items and not as many advanced features of the Raptor, the Carbon is still build with the same high quality that Keystone demands. And personally, we didn't need some of the over the top features the Raptor includes.
A lot of those same reasons are what sold me on the Carbon, I just couldn't justify paying that much more money for features I highly doubt I would use often. The build quality of the keystone product is fantastic, I'm really looking forward to my 387 showing up. The Carbon rep just gave my dealer my completed build date so now I'm just counting down the days!
powerstrokedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:24 AM   #22
dave-g

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonFun View Post
We purchased a Carbon 327 very recently after looking at many other toyhaulers that are out there. We decided on the Carbon 327 because of its great options, nice floor plan and many other reasons. The Carbon is a new 2014 toyhauler line for Keystone replacing the Raptor SE models of 2013. They price point is lower than the Raptor because the Carbons don't have some of the high end options available on them. These options include 6 way self leveling, rail and cable support for garage ramp, only includes (1) 30 gallon fuel tank, audio/video package is of lesser grade as well as some of the appointments of the interior.
Although there are some lesser quality interior decor items and not as many advanced features of the Raptor, the Carbon is still build with the same high quality that Keystone demands. And personally, we didn't need some of the over the top features the Raptor includes.
not to change the subject-did you install the air ride system yourself?
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:04 PM   #23
CarbonFun

Service install

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
not to change the subject-did you install the air ride system yourself?
We had the service center install the airbags along with the Superglide. Kinda worked the shop labor into the final deal on the toy hauler. Plus I figured it was better to let the "professionals" do the work. I also had them include the compressor and dual gauge so I can adjust pressure as needed. The bags really do help level the truck out when the 5er is hooked up as well as when I have a ton of pellets in the bed.

GQ
CarbonFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #24
CarbonFun

Carbon Sink Covers

As you may know the Carbon does not come with matching sink covers like its big brother the Raptor to provide more valuable counter space. After exhausting all avenues with Keystone I was able to find a local counter guy who found a matching counter top scrap (LG Hausys Hi-MACS Classic color = hazelnut shell) and is making me sink covers for $100. Because the scrap was big enough he is also making me 2 trivets and 4 drink coasters to match. If your interested in doing the same and don't want to shell out over $800 for a slab of countertop when you only need 13"x26" of it this is a great alternative.

BTW also if you can't find a piece of the current Hazelnut Shell color, Mountain Ash is the same stuff. LG Hausys just changed the names on the product recently and the two are almost a perfect match. We will post pictures as soon as we get the sink covers back from the counter guy.
CarbonFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:35 PM   #25
nole_trainer

Looking to upgrade

Been looking around at Toyhaulers for over a year. Like the Carbon 297. We do not currently have any toys, just lots of bikes, boys, a dog, etc. Looking to find a lighter and shorter toyhauler. Would also need to upgrade from my current f150. Lots to consider. Nice forum, I might stick around to gain info from you guys/gals.

By the way, I'm sure I will get lots of opinions here, but I'm thinking a F350 SRW will be fine?
nole_trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:59 AM   #26
dave-g

depending on option- a 350 will handle 15,000 to 15,500 lbs.you will be maxed out quick.if you can I would get dual rear wheels. If not just realy watch your weight.

I know my 250 is maxed out when towing- by the numbers-
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
Old 03-09-2014, 06:13 AM   #27
nole_trainer

Quote:
depending on option- a 350 will handle 15,000 to 15,500 lbs.you will be maxed out quick.if you can I would get dual rear wheels. If not just realy watch your weight.

I know my 250 is maxed out when towing- by the numbers-
Would it matter if the TH is empty'ish (no major toys like golfcart, motorcycles, etc)?
Old 03-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #28
dave-g

the carbon empty- weight is just shy of 12,000 lbs- add 100 gallons of water and fill the lb tanks your at 13000 lbs.

you pay load on a 2014 f350 is about 4000 to 3400 depending on model. empty tongue weight is 2800- add the 5th wheel hitch, a full tank of gas and 2 adults and your payload is at max.

There is one thing my wife loves about the 5th wheel- she can take it all- and she does- and so do the kids.

Don't expect to go any where empty. Also check all the numbers your self. NEVER trust the RV salesman, on what you and tow.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
Old 03-10-2014, 06:53 AM   #29
nole_trainer

Thanks for the feedback, that's why I love these forums, lots of info and knowledgeable folks. By the way, I'm looking at the 297 which is only 11152 dry and 2600 payload.

It might be awhile as I'll probably wait on the 2015 F350's and see how they perform. I did read their hp/tq numbers (440/860). I can get X plan so I'm shooting for under $50k for a longbed crewcab 4x2 Diesel with minor bells and whistles......
Old 03-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #30
powerstrokedub

Finally got my 387! I posted a new thread giving a brief review of my new toy, I'm very happy with it and can't wait to use it even more!
Old 04-18-2014, 04:59 PM   #31
gregm2k

We got a 2014 carbon 31 TT earlier this year. Love it so far and plan a long trip over the summer.

-- 2017 Cougar 327RLK
-- 2017 F-250 4x4 6.7L
gregm2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #32
Tonto256

Quote:
the carbon empty- weight is just shy of 12,000 lbs- add 100 gallons of water and fill the lb tanks your at 13000 lbs.

you pay load on a 2014 f350 is about 4000 to 3400 depending on model. empty tongue weight is 2800- add the 5th wheel hitch, a full tank of gas and 2 adults and your payload is at max.

There is one thing my wife loves about the 5th wheel- she can take it all- and she does- and so do the kids.

Don't expect to go any where empty. Also check all the numbers your self. NEVER trust the RV salesman, on what you and tow.

This is good advice. I had a 2013 F250 diesel that had a 10k GVWR and a 6100lbs rear axle. When I went with the numbers Ford provided and then numbers Keystone provided I was within weight. However, when I bought a 2013 Raptor 297 and then weighed the truck and trailer at the CAT scales I was over by 1100lbs on GVWR and about 150lbs on the rear axle. After much research and many "discussions" with my conscience over whether the F250 would be safe or made to work, I decided to trade it for an F350 SRW with an 11,500GVWR and 7k rear axle. Now, even loaded up I am legal, but I still don't have a lot of weight to work with. The dual real wheel 350 would be the best set up, but it's just too large of a truck for my liking. The F350 gets it done, but not by much. In my opinion an F250 or any 3/4 ton pick up is not even close, if you want to be legal. Don't get me wrong, they will tow it, but the numbers won't be legal. These campers always seem to be quite a bit heavier than advertised. In my experience the truck salesman don't know, and the RV salesman really don't know. They don't care, it's not their ticket to get or drivers license and insurance on the line. The numbers the truck and RV dealers put out only seem to be best case scenario and are almost always way under what your trailer or truck weighs when you buy it.
This is talked about to death on these forums, but for good reason; it's either within weight or not.
Tonto256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #33
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonto256 View Post
This is good advice. I had a 2013 F250 diesel that had a 10k GVWR and a 6100lbs rear axle. When I went with the numbers Ford provided and then numbers Keystone provided I was within weight. However, when I bought a 2013 Raptor 297 and then weighed the truck and trailer at the CAT scales I was over by 1100lbs on GVWR and about 150lbs on the rear axle. After much research and many "discussions" with my conscience over whether the F250 would be safe or made to work, I decided to trade it for an F350 SRW with an 11,500GVWR and 7k rear axle. Now, even loaded up I am legal, but I still don't have a lot of weight to work with. The dual real wheel 350 would be the best set up, but it's just too large of a truck for my liking. The F350 gets it done, but not by much. In my opinion an F250 or any 3/4 ton pick up is not even close, if you want to be legal. Don't get me wrong, they will tow it, but the numbers won't be legal. These campers always seem to be quite a bit heavier than advertised. In my experience the truck salesman don't know, and the RV salesman really don't know. They don't care, it's not their ticket to get or drivers license and insurance on the line. The numbers the truck and RV dealers put out only seem to be best case scenario and are almost always way under what your trailer or truck weighs when you buy it.
This is talked about to death on these forums, but for good reason; it's either within weight or not.
Thank You. Could not have been said any better, it has always been obvious to me that a RAPTOR and a 3/4 ton truck combination is not close to being within the legal limits. Over half ton or more based on Raptor loading over the legal GVWR limit is pretty common. Been there did that, I have a few posts out there describing my experiences and signature says it all.

Not many want to address "legal limits" and its possible impact on Insurance, licence, your investment, family, etc. and would rather hang there hat on I have been towing it with no problem. "Those numbers GVWR, GCVWR are merely marketing gimmicks".

OKAY enough of that, in the end each individual needs to make his/her own decision as to what they feel safe doing but attempting to down play the legal/safe limits should not be down played to others.

What part of PA are you from?
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #34
Smithracing2

My set up

2005 HD2500
Crew Cab Short Box
8.1L
Pull Rite Superglide 20K Hitch
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks

2014 Carbon 387
2008 Raptor 700
2008 Raptor 250
2008 Yamaha TTR 50
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	6296  
Smithracing2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:13 PM   #35
powerstrokedub

Took the 387 out again this weekend, but this time up to the mountains. I haven't been up to the mountains in the summer since I was much younger so it was really great to be back up in the mountain air and able to relax and unwind from the work week a bit. I'm still really happy with my Carbon unit, but have noticed a few things that I will be re-engineering:

The side skirt mounting is cheesy to say the least, I will be redesigning with a complete bracket system that mounts off the underbelly bolts then extends to the skirting and pulls it tight as well as keeping it square.

Not really sure what to do on this one but my drivers side rear-most tire is wearing faster than any of the others. I'm thinking I may install Correct Track (this is now standard on 2015 models) and do an alignment (would love to hear others thoughts on this).

While up in the mountains my buddy with a Carbon 31TT took his about ten miles down a dirt road that was fairly smooth but still washboarded, he has done this multiple times and the coach seems to be holding up pretty well to the washboard abuse. I didn't feel comfortable taking my 387 down the dirt road as I fear that the fatigue damage to the coach will be greatly exaggerated. How is everyone else's Carbon units holding up to use? Any weird issues arising from off road travel?

Overall, still very happy with my 387 and would purchase one again. Just have a few minor issues that need sorting through now that I have a few trips on it.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #36
powerstrokedub

Here is a pic from our trip to Moab mid May for Rally on the Rocks, I don't have one off hand from our trip to the mountains this past weekend!
Old 07-11-2014, 07:04 AM   #37
DiverB

Nice looking rig! The Carbon 377 / 387 comes with hydraulic slides, but electric landing gear, is that correct? I'm considering the 377 given I can save about $10,000 over the Fuzion or Raptor which means more money to actually spend enjoying weekends in it!
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/199482.png
DiverB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #38
powerstrokedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverB View Post
Nice looking rig! The Carbon 377 / 387 comes with hydraulic slides, but electric landing gear, is that correct? I'm considering the 377 given I can save about $10,000 over the Fuzion or Raptor which means more money to actually spend enjoying weekends in it!
Thanks for the compliment! The 387 doesn't have hydraulic slides but I believe the living room slide on the 377 is hydraulic. In my 387 both slides have the over head pulley system that is mounted inside the coach. The reality of it is the Carbon is built very much so in the same manner as Raptor/Fuzion just without the frills. I am very happy with my 387 so far and would definitely buy a Carbon again!
Old 07-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #39
gtsum2

that pic from moab is nice! We ride at Hatfield Mccoy in West VA, but I would love to ride moab at least once!
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:47 AM   #40
DiverB

Spoke with a salesman at the local RV place, he said the 377 does not have hydraulic slides, but for the price I can order it at with the options I want, I may just have to order one. I would really prefer to have hydraulic slides though. I can live without the hydraulic level up, electric landing gear in fine.
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/199482.png
DiverB is offline   Reply With Quote