Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2015, 09:45 AM   #1
dsttexas

Question Problem with 30 lb propane tank straps

My High Country has metal straps and clasps to hold the tanks snug. They have almost zero movement or stretch when trying to re-attach. I actually bent the clasp the last time I tried to connect.

Has anyone tried a different solution - bungee cords or whatever?
Old 01-28-2015, 10:01 AM   #2
Javi

Someone probably has... I just use the straps as provided, although you do got to hold your mouth just right and make sure the tank is ooched over against the back wall so the strap will close.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
bobbecky

On one of ours, had to re-attach the strap using the screws. It just needed to be tweaked a little to make it work. Even though the strap and latch isn't much, I do also have a lock on each latch, saved us a while back from losing one of the tanks to theft in a shady campground in Kansas.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
nevlarry

I have the same problem on my Cougar 277. Strap on passenger side tank is almost impossible to close. I'll be interested in hearing any fixes.
nevlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

nevlarry -
Try using a plastic zip tie. It can be "zipped" to allow you a bit more strap to work with. I use one on mine as the clasp mechanism bent "out of shape". I keep several extra straps taped to interior of the tank enclosure.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

The effective circumference of the strap can be changed by moving one of the mounting screws.

I don't know if Canada is the same, but here in the US propane cylinders have to be held in place enough to withstand a force equal to 8 times the weight of a full cylinder, at least that's what I remember from the RVIA test.

Does a zip tie or Bungee cord meet this requirement? Just askin

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #7
dsttexas

See the two photos attached.

When I pulled the tank I found the screws holding the strap were loose, and could be turned by hand. They had also been over tightened and no longer had a good grip - could have pulled out with any sudden movement I would guess.

So first I screwed the self tapping screws into new metal, slightly inside old holes, this time with just the right amount of torque.

Since I had broken the metal strap clasp, I had no choice but to improvise, so I cut off the metal strap on both sides, slightly enlarged two holes to accept the S hook from a heavy duty rubber strap on one side and a bolt on the other, where I attached a length of small chain used to secure the other end of the rubber strap.

To attach around the tank you hold the chain in one hand, and stretch the rubber strap hard and insert S hook into chain. If I did this over again, I would make the chain longer and use a shorter rubber strap to make the process easier to do from in front of the tank instead of at the side. However, clearance from the front of tank to the door would need to be checked.

With the 2nd tank on the other side, I will move the two screws in to give more flex to the metal strap and see how that goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank1.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	7825   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	7826