Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #1
Gary-n-Liz

Exclamation Door Opens When Traveling

The door on our Outback Terrain opens when we're driving down the road. Not all the time, but what the heck! We have a routine where one of us locks the door deadbolt and the other physically verifies this has been done. The hardware isn't damaged that we can see.

Anyone else with the problem?
Gary-n-Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:43 AM   #2
rzrbckr

Trailers do flex considerably while traveling. I had this issue on my Palomino. Simply use the handhold folded forward across the door to keep it closed when it occasionally pops open.
2017 Puma 30FKSS (Gone)
2006 Newmar Essex 4502 (Gone)
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 (Gone)
rzrbckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Almost any travel trailer will flex as it is towed. Sometimes the frame of the door will flex, widening the gap between the frame and the door lock. When that happens, the door may unlatch and open. It's happened to us occasionally with several travel trailers that we've owned. It's not inherent to your model, nor to Keystone, but can happen with almost any RV.

We've learned through the years to fold the grab bar over the door to stop the door from opening. It may still unlatch, but can only move about 1/2" before it hits the grab bar, thus preventing it from opening and posing a danger or a problem.

Some people (us included) also lock the dead bolt, but some people feel that the dead bolt shouldn't be used to secure the door because the flexing may damage the lock mechanism. You may (or may not) feel that damage could occur.

Anyway, if you have a folding grab bar, fold it over the door and it'll prevent the door from opening, even if it does unlatch.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:44 AM   #4
LuvsPalmTrees

We have had the same problem with our Laredo. The first time it really scared us, but we noticed other people traveling with the grab bar over their door and figured it must happen to other people too. So we started to put our handle over the door. Our smaller trailer - Mallard 25ft bunkhouse it never did that so this was new to us. Live and learn.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Dead bolt the door and your golden. My assist handle only folds against the door so I’m double covered.

It’s a common occurrence across all makes/models.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #6
LuvsPalmTrees

We do deadbolt, still had it pop open. Just learned to put the assist handle across the door and we are good. No worries.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:38 AM   #7
ken56

That is a lot of flexing for just traveling down the road. I have never had this happen yet but we lock both the latch and dead bolt and put the grab bar over the door too. I would wonder if there was a broken weld on the wall and roof framing near the door that lets it flex so much. The only way to find out though is to open up the wall and ceiling. Not a great option. Is it still under warranty? How long are you willing to be without your rig to investigate it? Not good choices all around.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:49 AM   #8
Gary-n-Liz

Thanks for Suggestions

Regretfully, we don't have a folding handhold on our trailer. Just a stationary one.

I had thought about flexing and the thought that I might have frame issues scares me to death because we're full time and no longer have a house to retreat to.

I also have a soft spot in the floor that I thought happened from an OOPS where something heavy was dropped on it, but the thread by the guy in Florida about his drip channel separating and allowing rain to wander to the floor rings a bell, so I may have a similar issue there.

Aieeee. I guess I'll address the drip channel first as we'll be here for five weeks.

Thanks, and we'll start locking both door locks and see how that works. Gack.
Gary-n-Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:07 AM   #9
notanlines

Gary, I don't know what y'all live in, but if you don't have a folding rail on your rig,
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...yABEgLwvvD_BwE.
They are very easy to install.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:55 AM   #10
rick-eureka

I have had the Baggage doors pop Open while traveling. Any suggestions?

thanks, Rick
rick-eureka is offline   Reply With Quote