Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2018, 07:38 AM   #1
sstedman

Diesel Fuel Fill Up

I just traded in my 2014 F150 for a 2018 F250 Super Duty with a diesel engine. My question is, when filling up at a truck stop can I pull into a fill up lane where the truckers get their fuel? I am pulling a Cougar Xlite and I have seen people with diesel engines fill up at the auto pumps. Also, is the diesel fuel the same type for the big rigs as it is for my truck.
sstedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:50 AM   #2
Danno

Yes you can but... I don't because that trucker is trying to make a living and time is money. The pump he or she uses is a high speed pump and the pumps set out for us are not. As a courtesy I don't.

The fuel however is the exact fuel for our truck as it is for theirs with one exception, there is also off road diesel that is tax exempt that has a die added to it, that if caught using it (at least here in Oregon) the fine is steep.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:59 AM   #3
Ken / Claudia

The hose is set up with a giant spout (nozzle) for the large comm truck tanks. To fuel you need to baby the handle and hold it so only a small amount comes out or it shuts itself off. A real pain in the ****. That's why they have D fuel at the other islands for us pickups. Your paying the same price at either, the lower price you see posted at the comm truck lane is only if you have a PUC plate. At least that's what I found out and only tried it once years ago.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #4
Javi

Only time I use the BIG BOY pumps is if I can't fit in the pickup lanes..

Which happens once in a while when you're 60ft long and 13' 8" high... the local Pilot truck stop has RV lanes but they dead end into the curb parking for the building and it is impossible to turn from them..
Old 08-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #5
K_N_L

I look for accessible RV lanes first else use the truck fuel lanes to avoid getting in a bind around the car islands. Most fuel lanes require you present a credit card at the desk for pre-authorization, and you need to specific a dollar amount else you might end up with a $500 hold on your card.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Same fuel, the off road diesel will damage your truck as it is not low sulfur. The repairs would be more costly than the fines. I don't use the truck pumps unless forced to either by pump island positioning or low fuel desperation. If you plan ahead you won't get into those bad situations. There are aps available for "rv friendly" fuel stops and google earth satellite images are good also. Bear in mind also that truck stop pumps on the truck side do not take credit cards, typically only company fuel cards so you must go in, wait in line, pre pay, often with a substantial hold on your card. Then pump and then return to the cashier for your receipt and to reset the pump.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #7
Old Mustanger

If the "regular" pumps have a height POSTED of 14' or more and it looks like I can get away from them cleanly I'll use them, otherwise I use the truck pumps. I'd rather have to walk in and leave my card than wipe out an air conditioner or get stuck not being able to pull out. Never had a problem, go in leave your card, come back and pump, pull forward out of the way of anyone behind you and go back and finish the purchase. You do have to be careful of the big nozzles but I just set it on the slow notch and watch how much is being pumped and when I think it's getting close to full I take over by hand and really slow it down.
Also I am finding more of the fuel stops will take my card at the pump than before.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
captcolour

I use the truck island all the time when pulling the 5th wheel. No worries about height or getting out. I always pull forward when finished. You can usually click on the first indent on the nozzle lock without shutting off. Fills quick which is nice. Also you have the DEF right there if needed. Also nice to have access to the windshield squeegee with the long handle.

I have a Good Sam's card so always look for a Flying J/Pilot to take the discount. Rarely ever have to go inside first at Flying J/Pilot. Have at others though.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:49 PM   #9
Laredo Tugger

I had a gasser, now have a diesel.
I WAS looking forward to using the truck stops for fueling up. Easier access as one good reason. No more Google maps and "planned attacks" on specific (gas) fuel pumps at accessible stations.
I am not one that is comfortable putting my "recreational" vehicle in the path of someone trying to make a living, but so far what I understand here is, there are enough pumps (truck lanes) available, the (commercial) pump nozzles are faster than standard pumps making for less time filling our smaller tanks, and some of these lanes are getting updated with "pay at pump" service (again faster fueling). And when done fueling, get out of the way.
If I adhere to the above code of conduct, am I good to get fuel at these places? Thanks,
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #10
On The Road Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcolour View Post
I use the truck island all the time when pulling the 5th wheel. No worries about height or getting out. I always pull forward when finished. You can usually click on the first indent on the nozzle lock without shutting off. Fills quick which is nice. Also you have the DEF right there if needed. Also nice to have access to the windshield squeegee with the long handle.

I have a Good Sam's card so always look for a Flying J/Pilot to take the discount. Rarely ever have to go inside first at Flying J/Pilot. Have at others though.
X2. I just completed a 1000 mile leisurely trip and used the truck lanes every time while hooked up. I think the truckers get it and don't consider us interfering with their ability to "make a living." Fill up and pull forward. YMMV.

2015 Fuzion 331
2013 Ford F350 6.7L
2012 Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic 103CI
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Low (Wife's)
2016 Harley-Davidson Freewheeler (Wife's)
2015 Polaris Ranger 570 EPS Bronze Mist
On The Road Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #11
slufoot733

A story on this if I may.
In 1999 I bought a new F250 diesel to haul my rv. That truck had the small fuel opening and would not accept the bigger nozzles at the truck pumps. I had to use the 'auto diesel' pump.
Was traveling the PA Turnpike and stopped for fuel. It took a while to inch my way up to the diesel pump which was the last one on the island. By doing so I completely blocked four gasoline pumps. A guy comes up to me quite irate and began ripping me up one side and down the other. "You $#%@&, why aren't you over there with the big rigs?! You're blocking all the pumps and I gotta get going!"
I apologized explaining that those nozzles wouldn't work. He didn't want to hear it and called the police. As it happens a state police unit was at that same service stop, grabbing a coffee. The trooper walked over and the guy started on him. Wanted me cited for using the wrong pumps. I showed the trooper the fuel port on my truck and said "I did not design the truck and I certainly wasn't the idiot who put one diesel pump at the end of the island with four gas pumps." The trooper took a look, stepped back and told the guy "wait your turn." And off he went to enjoy his coffee.
I finished filling up, hopped in the truck and headed out.
What's a guy to do, ya know?
slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:34 PM   #12
madmaxmutt

LOL! I love the guys in the tiny car that use the only pump that has diesel, in small towns. Then disappear in the store to use the can, buy a sandwich and shop. All while you are waiting in line behind them.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:19 PM   #13
stolly23

I use the truck pumps all the time. This year on our trek to Myrtle Beach, I planned ahead on 4 different flying J's with rv lanes. Two of them aligned perfectly with when I would need to stop to refuel. I was so excited to use my good sams card at the pump and not have to go in to leave my debit card. Both stops I used, the pumps would not take cards or were broken. I had to go inside for both of them. One of the stores I went in, I told the lady that the pump was not working with my card. She said Honey, only two of the pumps work for paying outside. My planning backfired on me.

2013 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duramax Dually 4x4
2019 Cougar 32BHS 1/2 Ton
stolly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:33 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

I think most truckers are OK with an RV'er refueling in the truck lines as long as you pump your 20-50 gallons and get out of the way. Truckers, in many states are required to buy enough diesel (pay taxes) to provide for the use of the roadway. They have to show receipts for the fuel purchases at the weigh station as they leave the state. So, in many places, they have to stop, even if they don't need to. Irritated already because they're losing valuable time, the last thing they need is to sit behind an "RV family" while 3 rug rats are walking around, pumping their arms in the air trying to get truckers to blast the air horn, while Mom is walking the dog over in the parking area. Dad gets back in the truck, and instead of pulling out of the way, he starts yelling out the window for Mom to hurry up as she stuffs the dog in the back seat and starts chasing the rats around the parking lot.... Does it happen? You betcha, fortunately not nearly as often as it could, but to a trucker on a schedule, once is too darned many......

Like the "little car" that blocks the only diesel pump, that's how irritated that trucker gets at that RV'er.... Unfortunately, many truckers are much more vocal than RV'ers, so while you sit and steam about that "little car", fully expect that trucker to let you know his displeasure....

Maybe this is a little exaggerated, but think about how you're perceived and you can keep most truckers smiling and accepting of RV'ers in the truck lanes....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think most truckers are OK with an RV'er refueling in the truck lines as long as you pump your 20-50 gallons and get out of the way. Truckers, in many states are required to buy enough diesel (pay taxes) to provide for the use of the roadway. They have to show receipts for the fuel purchases at the weigh station as they leave the state. So, in many places, they have to stop, even if they don't need to. Irritated already because they're losing valuable time, the last thing they need is to sit behind an "RV family" while 3 rug rats are walking around, pumping their arms in the air trying to get truckers to blast the air horn, while Mom is walking the dog over in the parking area. Dad gets back in the truck, and instead of pulling out of the way, he starts yelling out the window for Mom to hurry up as she stuffs the dog in the back seat and starts chasing the rats around the parking lot.... Does it happen? You betcha, fortunately not nearly as often as it could, but to a trucker on a schedule, once is too darned many......

Like the "little car" that blocks the only diesel pump, that's how irritated that trucker gets at that RV'er.... Unfortunately, many truckers are much more vocal than RV'ers, so while you sit and steam about that "little car", fully expect that trucker to let you know his displeasure....

Maybe this is a little exaggerated, but think about how you're perceived and you can keep most truckers smiling and accepting of RV'ers in the truck lanes....
You know, stuff happens. Do truckers have an absolute right to the big lanes that provide diesel? No. Are they in some way, their trip, timeline etc. more important than yours? No. Can they sit while you/we fill up our rigs as we courteously try to get of the way when we are done? Absolutely. I have zero worry about truckers and their "timeline". I have been run off the road intentionally, have them try to ram me, sit in front of me for miles trying to make sure that no one can pass even if there is a line 5 miles long behind them...no, I have NO worry about them trying to get anywhere.

When I was young, truckers were considered "professionals", to me they had "knowledge" and things they knew to drive safely and be aware as they drove with normal traffic. Now, they are like watching a Mad Max movie as you try to maneuver the highways. Years ago, before I retired and was involved in all kind of things, the warden of a prison (min/max) told us, in a private meeting, that the number one occupation that an inmate looked forward to was being a truck driver.....I think we can all see how that is impacting all of us as drivers. OTR semi drivers should be restricted by laws to speed limits (55mph) as well as other more stringent measures. IMO they have gotten out of control. JMO/YMMV Let the fun begin.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:23 PM   #16
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
When I was young, truckers were considered "professionals", to me they had "knowledge" and things they knew to drive safely and be aware as they drove with normal traffic. Now, they are like watching a Mad Max movie as you try to maneuver the highways. Years ago, before I retired and was involved in all kind of things, the warden of a prison (min/max) told us, in a private meeting, that the number one occupation that an inmate looked forward to was being a truck driver.....I think we can all see how that is impacting all of us as drivers. OTR semi drivers should be restricted by laws to speed limits (55mph) as well as other more stringent measures. IMO they have gotten out of control. JMO/YMMV Let the fun begin.
I agree with you about thinking they were professionals when I was young. My Dad taught me to always blink my headlights when a truck has safely passed and I do it (well at least when the DW is not distracting). Some acknowledge the courtesy, some don't and still others don't wait until it's safe to come over.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:31 AM   #17
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
I had a gasser, now have a diesel.
I WAS looking forward to using the truck stops for fueling up. Easier access as one good reason. No more Google maps and "planned attacks" on specific (gas) fuel pumps at accessible stations.
I am not one that is comfortable putting my "recreational" vehicle in the path of someone trying to make a living, but so far what I understand here is, there are enough pumps (truck lanes) available, the (commercial) pump nozzles are faster than standard pumps making for less time filling our smaller tanks, and some of these lanes are getting updated with "pay at pump" service (again faster fueling). And when done fueling, get out of the way.
If I adhere to the above code of conduct, am I good to get fuel at these places? Thanks,
RMc
Short answer: YES. Long answer, well lots of other reading an this thread. Use the pump, get out of way of pump. Everybody gets to enjoy the easy in, easy out. Everybody gets to pay their road taxes. Pretty easy-peasy.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:53 AM   #18
Laredo Tugger

You guy's are absolutely correct. I'm paying the same road tax on the fuel (whatever state I'm in) and can use the fuel pumps like any other vehicle.
As for seeking vengeance on bad trucker behavior, don't get me started. I will not linger at the pump and certainly will not project the above scenario since I do not have kids or a dog, but I will proudly use the fueling facility that services my vehicle and then get out of the way. If I have to walk in and pay,so be it.
Honestly to the guy who quipped my "making a living" quote, that did not set well at first but after reading this second page of post,I get it. You're right,just use those pumps like anyone else.
Thanks
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:34 AM   #19
NealBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Same fuel, the off road diesel will damage your truck as it is not low sulfur. The repairs would be more costly than the fines. I don't use the truck pumps unless forced to either by pump island positioning or low fuel desperation. If you plan ahead you won't get into those bad situations. There are aps available for "rv friendly" fuel stops and google earth satellite images are good also. Bear in mind also that truck stop pumps on the truck side do not take credit cards, typically only company fuel cards so you must go in, wait in line, pre pay, often with a substantial hold on your card. Then pump and then return to the cashier for your receipt and to reset the pump.
Sorry, but that is not the case. The off-road diesel is the same exact fuel as on-road diesel with the exception of the harmless dye added to show that no tax has been paid. This is supposed to be for farming, construction or any other non-tagged machine.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:41 AM   #20
Ken / Claudia

Soundslike the comm. fueling pumps work better then in the early 1990s when I tried them in a pickup. Good to know.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel