Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
Knights300ml

Slide question

Okay this is definitely a newbie question, we just brought our new 300ml home and as we have owned other let us say smaller less appointed campers this is the first with slides not to ramble but if you have to pack up on a rainy day how much water can you expect to get inside your camper off of wet slides? And is there anything you can do about it?
Knights300ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:25 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Not rambling and a good question - one I had at one time.

Some use slide covers which minimizes the issue - I do not. Rain or not I make sure the slide tops are clear of debris. In the middle of nowhere, no trees etc. I don't worry. If it is raining when I leave, literally leave (time to retract), I have made sure the tops are clear of debris and retract. The seals act as "wipes" and push the water off/out. You just need to make sure they are always clean and flexible. I have tried to stay longer on occasion if there were to be really heavy downpours but primarily because I don't like to tow in heavy rain.

Bottom line to me is get the debris off and let the seals do their work. I've looked at mine when they come in and never saw any issues to worry about.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:56 PM   #3
Tbos

Get the debris off. If some water still comes inside just put a towel on the floor to soak it up.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:33 PM   #4
ChuckS

On a rainy day if no concern other than rain water still being on top of slide roofs even though wiper seal should get it all do this before retracting slides....

Raise RV nose high for a minute or two with slides out...this will drain most standing water on slide roofs... now return RV to level and retract slides...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:16 PM   #5
Knights300ml

Thanks all for responses and advice I'm actually a little more comfortable reading this, won't lie had a few bad dreams of water damage around the slides !!!
Knights300ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:26 PM   #6
ken56

Water deterioration around the slides is a valid concern. Make that an inspection point to be looked at very closely a couple times a year. I have 3 slides on mine and only one time did I get some water inside from one slide and it was not that much. I wiped it up with a towel. The suggestions from the others here are about as much as anyone can do. Getting any debris off the roof of the slide is the most important thing so not to damage the roof. Sticks and acorns can tear the membrane. Don't worry so much about the water, go have fun.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:23 AM   #7
yesiamapirate

Thank you for the great post!
yesiamapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:01 AM   #8
TJO

As always great info provided by the forum community.
TJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:28 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
On a rainy day if no concern other than rain water still being on top of slide roofs even though wiper seal should get it all do this before retracting slides....

Raise RV nose high for a minute or two with slides out...this will drain most standing water on slide roofs... now return RV to level and retract slides...
Don't forget this "VERY IMPORTANT STEP"... It's especially important, even critical, if you have cable operated slides. The slides "hang in the opening" on the cables and if you raise the front of the trailer, then "forget to lower it" and retract the slide, you may damage the slide, cause it to bind and get stuck so it won't move without maintenance and realignment or break a cable/cable guide/pully. Any of those can make your departure impossible until the slide is repaired......

So, if you raise the front to drain water off the slide rood (sometimes a good idea) just don't forget to return the trailer to level BEFORE touching the slide retract switch !!!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:17 AM   #10
Sulphur1

Our Cougar HC roof appears to be designed with a slight slope towards the outside when it is level. I learnt the hard way to always level both ways when setting up. It once leaked like a waterfall all along it's length inside when I parked on a street with quite a fall to the inside. Keystone didn't seal between the roof & top angle and wiper didn't stop heavy rain shower coming in!
Suggest you check if sealing has been done (silicon bead?).
I've also been unable to get the cables to bring the slide flat against the inside wall when it's out so this at least helps drain the roof water out!
Sulphur1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide