Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
Alaskan Cougar

Has anyone had their fridge panel slide off onto the floor (new 2012 Cougar 29BHS)?

I bought my new trailer from Oregon (Curtis Trailers), so they trucked it up to WA and put it on the ferry to Haines, Alaska. I drove the 640 miles to get it and drove it back, driving about 55-60mph, relatively decent roads with some rough patches. When I got it home, my daughter opened the fridge door and the wood panel slid down the channels and slammed into the floor. I reattached the bottom trim piece, and all was well. I noticed there was about 3/16" of play moving the panel up and down, so I'm guessing as it goes over bumps, the panel jumps up a little and slams back down on the bottom piece, which breaks it loose. We took the trailer out last weekend, about a 350 mile trip, and when we got there, I opened the fridge (forgot about the panel falling out earlier) to put in the food, and the same thing happened, this time the panel hit my foot, cutting it pretty bad and nearly breaking my knuckle on the toe next to my big toe (right foot). I got it xray'd and it wasn't broken, but it sure feels like it. I brought the TT in for some warranty work when we got back into town so they could take a look at it (and do some other adjustment type stuff). My question is, has this happened to anyone else? What would you do in this situation, I'm just looking for some advice since I've never had this happen before? I've called Keystone customer support and they have it on file, they asked me what I was looking for (compensation I'm assuming). I've also called Curtis Trailers in Aloha, OR where I bought the trailer, and they said they haven't heard of that happening before. I'm not one to sue anyone or get lawyers involved, but man, did that hurt!
Alaskan Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:32 AM   #2
SAABDOCTOR

Hi i know the pannels are replaceable as some fridges are black face or wood grain. so yes they slide in but you seem to have a lot of play. mine do not. so i would look to see how they should be retained! with the great distance between you and the dealer you my have tobecome your own warranty repair staion.sincei am at work and my camper is at home i will look at it when i get home tonight and see what i can come up with. but i'll bet steve will have a good answer as soon as he reads this. he is good with this stuff. good luck Barney
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
BigCajun

I've had the same problem. I would put the panel back in and snap the strip on the bottom only to have it pop out on the trip home. Finally had enough and used three small screws to secure it to the bottom of the door. No problems since!
Old 06-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

As Barney said, the panels are designed to be removed and replaced for different decors. I've done a "permanent repair" for mine because it bulged in the middle... I took the bottom panel off, slid it down and put a couple of pieces of double stick carpet tape on the back of the panel. When I slid it back into position, I pushed on the middle of the panel and held it there for about 30 seconds. After replacing the bottom retaining panel, no bulge, no movement. It's smooth, flat and stays in place.

The refrigerators when designed, are built to either use thin plastic face panels, 1/8" wood panels or even thicker "three deminsional" cabinet panels. As such, the slots where the panels slide in are not going to hold all thickness panels with the same "grip"

Try a strip of double stick tape down the middle and I think your problem will go away......

I would warn AGAINST putting screws through the panel. Some of the newer refrigerators use a vaccuum technology to improve insulation (sort of like an old vaccuum bottle) and putting a screw into the door may cause you to lose some refrigerator performance.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:21 AM   #5
Bob Landry

I can understand Keystone's position on this one. They do not manufacture or warranty the appliances, they only install them and insure they are operational at the time of delivery. This a Dometic or Norcold issue. I'm sure if you were to contact their customer service and provide the needed information, they would send you a new panel. I have replaced refrigerators for customers and have sent back door inserts for replacement because they were cut incorrectly with no issues. It happens in any manufacturing invironment.
I would also have them address using screws to hold the trim piece on the door, as this could raise a potential warranty issue in the future..
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

I like jrtjh fix with the sticky tape i would avoid drilling any holes esp. that will void any warranty for sure. see that you joined today asked questions and got answers today pretty good deal eh? good luck with the fix
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
Alaskan Cougar

Thanks for the quick replies, I like the idea of using double stick carpet tape. I do realize that Keystone shouldn't be held liable for this, it is a Dometic fridge and as such I should contact them, but the Keystone rep didn't mention that. I'm curious about the amount of play other fridge panels have in them. My freezer panel is in there snug, no movement. When I get the TT back, I'll see what they did to it, if nothing, then I'll use the tape method.
Alaskan Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
rhagfo

While we are out enjoying our Copper Canyon, checked my Dometic with cabinet style insert 3/4" thick panel, bottom strip has three screws.
I like the carpet tape and maybe one size larger screw, mine is a tight fit, it is also a rear kitchen 33' 5er, so it sees some bounce.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
sandry

refridge door

I have a 2008 fifth wheel and I'm having the same problem. I have had it in many times to be fixed and later it falls off just like you discribed. What I have done is take the top trim off of the door and put some caulking compound between the door and the panel. I put about 3 dabs on the door. So far it has worked for keepting the panel on the door. This way if I need to take it off I can.
sandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
Alaskan Cougar

Little bit of an update, I've spoken with the Keystone legal department, they want to see all the bills and help out as much as they can. I was in Indiana last week and swung into a Keystone dealership and looked at all the fridge panels. All of them had panels that were really snug, hardly had any play in them. When I got back to Alaska and went over to the warranty dealer (they still haven't gotten to my trailer yet) and asked them to order a new panel that would fit better. I'll see what happens.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
Jasonr75

I just went through this same issue. If you pull the plastic plate off the bottom of the door you will see two holes on the front of the door. This is for pins to be placed and the panel to rest on them. Dometic shows the pin as part #204 SVC Panel Stop. I pulled the plastic plate on the freezer and both pins were present. I took one to the hardware store and matched a plastic spacer to the same size. I pulled the fridge plate and placed the pins and all is good. Cost $.26
Jasonr75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
elwood1944

Looks like Dometic hasn't made any progress in a design change. First time out with our 2013 Cougar 28SGS door panels slid down
elwood1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
nick

My panel slid off my 2011 outback. What a hassle getting a replacement trim piece.
I ended up putting some liquid nails on the plastic trim piece and under the wood panel door. Now it's solid.
nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #14
WCW

Just had same problem on first trip out yesrterday. Helpful info here.

2013 Laredo 335TG
2012 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L
WCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #15
race44

Same happened on our 1year old Laredo 291TG. Remove the bottom plastic molding and replaced with a piece of 1/2 x 1/2 aluminum angle, used 2 screws from the underside to secure it. Like some have said just becareful where you put the screws. So far so good
Old 03-15-2015, 03:11 PM   #16
mpgtow

Wood Fridge Panel, Dometic poor design!

Have experienced the same exact issue today in a 2015 Laredo 240MK. The wood panel slid down and hit the floor pretty hard. It also smashed up part of the 3/16" thick backer board (that holds the actual wood raised panels as well as fits into the grooves). This existing right angle, plastic strip to hold the panel in place is completely ineffective. It only snaps into place (no screws) and the design cannot handle the vertical weight of the wood...

I just wrote Dometic about issue and will await response before I screw a piece of aluminum, use double stick tape or panel adhesive to fix the issue!
mpgtow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

It's my understanding that Dometic only produces a stainless steel (mirror) inserts or acrylic (black) inserts. With the wide variety of cabinet finishes, the majority of the "bas relief" or "Panel" inserts are manufactured by a contractor for the RV manufacturer.

Here is the link to the Dometic instructions for installing and maintaining door panels: http://clients2.kaigan.se/dometic/76...7b0cbd7fc4.pdf

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-20-2015, 08:19 AM   #18
IntrepidTravelers

Same problem in our Laredo 240MK

After purchasing our 2015 Laredo 240MK we arrived home, about 180 miles from our purchase point, only to find our refrigerator door panel sitting on the floor. It was still in the grooves so I pushed it into position and replaced the bottom strip also. Yay, it works....until you drive down the road again. Upon arriving at our first camping destination it was down again and upon inspection it had obviously slid past the little dowels or pegs that are intended to actually hold it up. This time the door panel had actually come off. I don't really know how that happened. I tried to find a way to slide it back into place and was going to effect a home repair but try as I might, I could not replace the panel. I will have to take the door off to do it. Sadly I cannot find an easy way to remove the door. Is there one? I am certain that if I can get the door off then I can slide the panel back into place and secure it and then re-install the door.
I just cant see driving 4 hours to the dealer and then have to wait weeks for warranty work so I am going to do this myself. Anyone know how to remove the door from the Dometic DM2852? I tried to get some help from Dometic but they only sent a PDF of the Generic Installation Manual for several models. No help for me.
IntrepidTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

You should be able to remove the 3 screws from the top trim on the door, access the pins, make sure they are installed in the bottom of the door trim, then slide the trim into the grooves from the top. Reinstall the top trim and the 3 screws and you're done.

Often, putting a couple of pieces of double stick carpet tape on the back of the panel will help hold it in place. The acrylic black panels seem to bow out just enough to cause a problem if not "taped in place." Some never move or cause a problem, others just don't stay put without the tape.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-20-2015, 12:16 PM   #20
IntrepidTravelers

Need to know how to remove the door

The front panel doesn't have screws holding it in for this model. And the entire front panel managed to come out. There is not enough room to slide it in from the top or from the bottom. That is why I think I need to remove the door completely, install the trim panel, then re-install the door. I have a fix in mind for the panel but I'm looking for anyone with experience removing and replacing the door itself. Any help would be appreciated.
IntrepidTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote