Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2018, 08:58 PM   #1
kjohn

Netflix to TV through USB?

Does anybody know if I can feed Netflix to my Furrion TV from my iPad through the USB at the back of the TV? Or the USB at the front of the disc player?

Normally, I watch very little TV, but do like Netflix, as I can resume watching a program anytime.

The manual is no help.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:36 PM   #2
Freeheel4life

I haven't used them but there are a handful of USB plug ins that do a lot. The Roku, Google Chromecast, Amazon's Firestick are some USB plug in devices. Our unit is older and didnt come with a TV so we opted to use the money to just buy a smaller "smart TV" has Netflix, Google Play, Amazon, Hulu and there are a good amount of local newstations that are accessible as well so you can get local news from home or in areas you are new to all from the same TV with nothing but wifi or a data hotspot. You can also link your tablet directly to the TV without needing an external USB device
I didnt research it that long but it didnt seem like any of the USB casting/streaming devices were as capable as the smart TV, but I also didnt have a working TV to start with so it was easier to kill 2 birds with one stone.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:23 PM   #3
John&Genny

Since you have a newer Furrion TV, your best bet is to purchase a HDMI adapter for your iPad and run a cable from there to one of the HDMI inputs on the TV. We have done this before and it works well, especially if you are downloading videos directly from Netflix to be played back later on your iPad.

We also have a Roku Ultra hooked up to the Furrion when we have the opprotunity to stream directly to the TV when we are at a campground with a decent internet connection.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:48 AM   #4
Wxman

^^^^I do this with my iPhone. Lightning to hdmi adapter and then HDMI to the TV.
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #5
travelin texans

In our travels finding a park/campground with enough bandwidth or that allowed streaming movies is very rare. Unless you have a good personal wifi with unlimited data watching tv from the internet will get VERY costly VERY quickly.
With our Winegard batwing antenna we've always gotten 50-60 channels so can usually find something to watch, that's FREE.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:10 AM   #6
{tpc}

Normally I would say buy a roku stick or a firetv stick, but i feel like the OP has some shows downloaded to the ipad to watch when wanted, which would not require wifi, except for when first downloading. That said I'd try the hdmi adapter over a chromecast. I have a chromecast and it has been so laggy and frequently disconnects, that it now resides in a drawer somewhere.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #7
RoscoeV

USB connectors on TVs are mostly output only and not input. You would need a USB cable with a HDMI connector to connect the iPad to one of the TV HDMI connectors.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #8
kjohn

Okay. Thank you very much for the good info. I will give the HDMI -lightning some consideration. As I said, I can live quite happily without TV of any description, but I would consider Netflix.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:34 AM   #9
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn View Post
Okay. Thank you very much for the good info. I will give the HDMI -lightning some consideration. As I said, I can live quite happily without TV of any description, but I would consider Netflix.
Luckily our TV is a smart tv with the netflix app already on it, just have to connect to the internet.

Also Our bluray player has the app and works the same way.

And finally we have the apple HDMI adapter and have Netflix on our iphones and can view it on the TV that way.

I mention all these methods to see if you have tried to see if any of your devices are smart type with the apps already installed? Sometimes they don't show up until you connect to the internet for the first time.

We have been lucky and the four campgrounds we have stayed at this year all had strong internet that allows for streaming.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:23 AM   #10
5th_Wheelin

Who here has used a apple lightnight to HDMI adapter, with successful results? What iphone are you using and what adapter are you using? I've purchased one off of amazon and didn't have any luck trying to watch netflix shows we downloaded on to our phones.
TIA
5th_Wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:02 AM   #11
JimSchwenk

Since I disconnected cable TV at home, I replaced my old Rokus with Firesticks (I already have Amazon Prime for the free shipping). I have a pretty healthy cell data plan because I only have the cell and use it for work too, so I seem to have an extra 16 gig every month left over. I keep a laptop and a Verizon hotspot in my camper, so last week I took the firestick along and watched a few movies. It was nice to actually use one of my TV's.
My campground has crappy reception, even with a real antenna on a tall mast outside I still only get two channels, we are up behind the Blue Mountain in the woods.
Like a lot of campers, I could care less about watching TV out in the woods, but it's cool to have it when I want to amuse myself on a rainy night.
As for the comment about USB's only being for output, I have 5 TV's between home and the TT and I've never seen a TV that only had outputs wired to the USB ports. But I'm no TV expert, just an old F-14 Tomcat electronics tech.
JimSchwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #12
Wxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Wheelin View Post
Who here has used a apple lightnight to HDMI adapter, with successful results? What iphone are you using and what adapter are you using? I've purchased one off of amazon and didn't have any luck trying to watch netflix shows we downloaded on to our phones.
TIA
I have used my iPhone SE to watch Netflix and Dishanywhere on the camper TV. My lightning to HDMI adapter is genuine Apple. Never had to work through any problems.
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #13
John&Genny

As WXman posted, we also use a genuine Apple Lightning/HDMI adapter and don’t have any problems watching Netflix downloaded movies from my iPad Pro. Just make sure you have a good HDMI cable going from the adapter, and you have selected the HDMI source on your TV.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:42 PM   #14
SR71 Jet Mech

Like others, I too have cut the cable. Gave up dish network and now stream. The HDMI to lightning cable works great. We also have a Roku tv but I prefer the FireStick.
With unlimited data (which is actually 22gb on most services) my phone bill didn’t change from a shared 8 gb plan, and I’m saving $170 mo. The cable will work great. As long as you have battery. Some have a mini usb to connect for power some don’t. It will eat phone battery pretty fast. I have an iPhone 8. My wife has an SE. both work equally good.
Good luck....
SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:44 PM   #15
JimSchwenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71 Jet Mech View Post
Like others, I too have cut the cable. Gave up dish network and now stream. The HDMI to lightning cable works great. We also have a Roku tv but I prefer the FireStick.
With unlimited data (which is actually 22gb on most services) my phone bill didn’t change from a shared 8 gb plan, and I’m saving $170 mo. The cable will work great. As long as you have battery. Some have a mini usb to connect for power some don’t. It will eat phone battery pretty fast. I have an iPhone 8. My wife has an SE. both work equally good.
Good luck....
I ended up a couple of years ago with a dedicated hotspot. I'm on my second or third one now. you do have the charge for the extra line, but I use it all the time when I'm away from the house.
I've talked to cell designers and researchers who tell me using your phone as a hotspot is like putting your foot to the floor of your car and just running the engine at top speed. Phones aren't designed for continuous processor use at full capacity. But to each his own...I'll bet most of you will tell me it works fine, so that's cool.
I use the hotspot when I travel, too, because it's a heck of a lot more secure that your average hotel wifi. Either way, it's a great way to run the laptop while camping or sitting in my 2500 HD along the road.
JimSchwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:37 PM   #16
KSH

It works fine.. couldn't resist..
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote