Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2018, 09:23 PM   #1
Freeheel4life

Curt Class V install

So I know this is a basic install and the odds of anyone installing a new class 5 on 21 y/o trucks are low around here, but there were a few lessons I thought I'd share that could hopefully help someone down the road..

1) The 9/16 bolts that start the install per instructions were at least a half hole off. The closest it would come to fitting was about a half a bolt hole off (where the hangup is I don't know as frame looks straight)and obviously wasn't going to fit in between bumpermounts. Since the hitch already had a slotted hole the best option was the dye grinder and carbide bit to slot the frame rail holes.

2) The backer plates that hold the head of the carriage bolt were too wide and would always ride on the radius of the frame causing them to never sit flush, unless you turned them short side in and left the rest hanging in space, hence defeating the purpose of spreading surface area. I chose to strip a bit off with a thin cut on an electric grinder and now they sit flush.

3) Curt used a flanged nut with some knurling machined into it. I added some red Loctite. The goal is to have this be the last hitch this truck ever sees and even when torqued to spec the lack of a nylock or split lock washer was unsettling to me.

Overall a huge improvement. The hitch that was on the truck had a max rating of 5000#(lesson learned buying a used TV and taking the hitch for granted). The only real gripe I have at the end of the day is the cutouts for the safety hooks have too much material and will require either changing my safety cables or being happy with using 3/8" quick link because there is a ton of steel that wont allow any normal sized hooks to close the latch.

Otherwise great product for the price. Took a few hours but most of that was cutting off the old hitch(was welded so required a fair amount of grinding and chiseling) and wrestling the spare back into place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180703_123649.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	17310   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180703_153255.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	17311   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180703_140002.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	17312  
Old 07-04-2018, 03:02 AM   #2
Retired Copper

A lot of the newer trucks with a class 5 hitch have problems with the clevis hooks on the safety chains fitting mine included. Instead of modifying the safety chain or the hitch I found a 10000 lbs. rated quick link from blue ox and installed them on the hitch. You can only get these on one way but once you find the trick they work great.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:45 AM   #3
Freeheel4life

Thanks for the info. The 3/8 quick links I purchased are nowhere near that rating and are currently the weak link(no pun intended) in the system. Going to have to order some.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:44 AM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

On my hitch, the hooks go in to a slot on the side and out through the front. Once in they swivel down to hang. YMMV

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
Retired Copper

Got mine from etrailer. They will work great but you can only get them on and off one way. After having a problem I researched the Ford Super Duty site and was a common problem. Some modified their hook latches, some changed the hooks. I didn't want to mess with the safety chains and I stumbled on those quick links rated for 10000 lbs. being used. Their are some latched on the hooks on some trailer that will kind of twist in.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:53 PM   #6
Freeheel4life

Thanks for the source on those quick links. I could maybe see some larger S-hook with a wire gate/latch working but your classic pointed hook with spring loaded latch wont ever allow the latch to close no matter what position I tried. The quick links I have now are good for only 3800 WLL so going to look into the etrailer omw you recommended.
I also decided to treat myself. I hook up to a lot of different boats with lots of different tire/wheel/suspension setups and was tired of having an assortment of drops and rises in the bed. Hopefully "the last hitch I will ever need" as advertised. It's a B and W Tow and Stow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180703_175104.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	17329