Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2018, 03:05 AM   #1
MG72B

Our biggest trip is about to be reality

Hello forum members. We are currently planning one of the biggest trips of our RVing life. We appreciate any suggestions you have on places to stay and things to see.
Here are some of the stops we have planned (reservations already made). Mount Rushmore, Devils Tower, Jackson Hole, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Glazier NP, Banff, Jasper then on to Vancouver. From there to Seattle then down to San Diego. When we leave SD we will be heading to our winter home in Florida.

Looking for places in between, S. New Hampshire heading to Chicago. Then Chicago to Mount Rushmore. Then Seattle to San Diego.
Thanks in advance for comments.
MG72B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:33 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

In the Mt Rushmore area check out the badlands, Wall Drug, Custer SP, Mitchell Corn Palace, Sturgis, Deadwood. Sounds like a fun trip! You might want to throw a second spare in for good measure as some of those roads can be quite lonely.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:17 AM   #3
notanlines

I have said before that if traveling along the California coast, the Avenue of the Giants north of San Francisco is not to be missed. And not only will you need two spares, you might need two credit cards. I sure wish DW and I were going with y'all!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:26 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Rushmore was ok. Go to crazy horse if you want to be impressed. Indian fry bread was the best at the restaurant there.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:06 AM   #5
NorskeBob

It will be a great trip.

We took a trip out west with our grandson in 2013. We had a 35' fifth wheel and wanted pull through sites and full hookups. We had a diesel truck and it did great in the Mountains.

Where we stayed
Mount Rushmore and Devils Tower - we walked around the base of the tower.
Rapid City KOA
3010 East Highway 44
Rapid City, SD 57703
Phone: (800) 562-8504

Yellowstone - Rocky Mountain RV Park & Lodging, LLC
14 Jardine Road
Gardiner, Montana 59030 USA
877.534.6931 / 406.848.7251
Web: www.rockymountainrvpark.com

Glacier - Mountain Meadow RV Park & Cabins
Hungry Horse, Montana
www.mmrvpark.com
The Red Bus tour was great

Ohio - Sauder Village - campground at the location. Made for a good stop on the way.

Iowa - Vesterheim, The National
Norwegian-American
Museum & Heritage Center
520 W. Water St.
Decorah, Iowa
My wife and I have Norwegian heritage. There is a campground operated by the city. Full on weekends but sites available during the week.

Couer d'Alene, ID and Spokane WA area.

Seattle area - Mount St Helens - we lived in Pasco, WA when it blew. Whidbey Island (son served in the Navy there). WA state has some good Wineries.

Beaches north and south of Eureka, CA. Humboldt Redwood State park - great location. Cliffs along La Jolla CA. Mission Beach - San Diego and San Diego Zoo.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:32 AM   #6
Canonman

What a Trip!!
Can't help much with the midwest, but we stayed at Custer State Park for a week touring around. All the usual tourist sites are well advertised but Custer State Park can't be beat for wildlife. Would highly recommend Bear Country (near Rapid City) early in the morning. Rushmore at night is very cool but early morning will beat the crowds. Do both! Crazy Horse is great but don't miss the laser show at night. Devil's Tower is well worth the stop. Glacier is pretty and well worth a couple of days. As you travel to Banff don't miss Waterton Lakes. Check your maps but I think HWY 6 will take you to Banff and is beautiful scenic route as opposed to Hwy 2.
And Banff is just too beautiful. We visit Teton NP often and love the area around Jenny Lake. Close by Moose Junction is Antelope Flat. Often see herds of Bison and Antelope there. A little known beauty spot is Schwabacher's Landing. Love that spot for early morning photos. I have some photos here:http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/album.php?u=19389 and if you would like more details feel free to private message me any time.
Safe Travels
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3890.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	16969  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:19 AM   #7
SummitPond

Sounds like a wonderful trip.

The Badlands National Park are right near Wall Drug, as is the Minuteman Missile National Historic Site (you get to go down into the control center and silo; be forewarned - read the web site and follow reservation directions). Wind Cave and Cody State Park in SD were worthwhile visits for us; there are some beautiful views of Mt. Rushmore from the drive around Cody State Park. You might enjoy Fort Laramie National Historic Monument also, but that might be a bit out of the way from your planned route. You almost can't go wrong with the various National Parks, and the west is chocked full of them.

Safe travels.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:00 AM   #8
cynjon

Sounds like a great trip! If you have any questions about the Black Hills area, sights and attractions, etc. feel free to hit me up as I live in Rapid City. Good luck on your trip!
cynjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #9
cynnich

If you are going thru the middle of NY state I would suggest Niagara Falls and/or the Finger Lakes. If you go this southern PA I would stop by Gettysburg.
cynnich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:44 PM   #10
Northofu1

My whole reason for getting an RV was to drive to California. I flew there in 2014, drove the PCH 1 from San Diego to San Fran. Many stops along the way. I left my heart in San Francisco. Flying felt too quick and I wanted to see more. Yellowstone, Yosemite, The badlands, Vancouver, Seattle, and swing around the south (The BBQ trail ) and back to TO. 2019 /2020
I hope you all the best on your journey, be safe

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:39 PM   #11
Cbrez

Went thru Banff in late-May 2017 and then again in mid-Aug. in Aug the town was overrun with tour buses and RV caravans. It was nothing like the serene town we passed through in May. If your schedule allows, push the season and get there as early as you can. Having said that, we did get 4 inches of snow in Yellowstone’s Edge RV Park outside Livingston, MT. Went white water rafting on the Athabasca River in Jasper. Beautiful river with a great history. Also second traveling thru Couer d’Alene, ID. Beautiful town and the border crossing to the north was easy in late-May.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #12
travelin texans

If going down the west coast, bring LOTS of $$$, all 3 states are very expensive. If we didn't have grandkids in the Seattle area, we'd never go back, been there, done that, borrowed money & bought the T shirt.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:21 AM   #13
Duramike

That is quite a trip. We did a portion of that last summer. We ended in Yellowstone/Tetons and returned home from there. We love Yellowstone having been there twice and will return some day. I agree with Chuckster that Crazy Horse is an amazing sight. Also, Devils Tower, The Badlands, etc. If you are into guns the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody has one of the largest collections I have ever seen. It sounds like the trip of a lifetime. Enjoy and keep us posted on your progress.
Duramike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #14
Gord

When you leave Jasper I would suggest following Hwy 16 west to Tete Jaune Cache, then turn left onto Hwy 5 headed south towards Kamloops, BC. A stop at Wells Gray park at Clearwater will allow you to view some spectacular waterfalls. At Kamloops you can continue south on Hwy 5 to Merrit, Hope and the join Hwy 1 to Vancouver. An alternate route at Kamloops is to go west to Cache Creek. At Cache creek you can go south to Hope via the Fraser canyon OR at Cache Creek you can go North about 11kms and then take the road to Lilooet and then carry on south to Pemberton via the Duffy lake road. The Duffy lake road is paved all the way, but it does have some very steep hills and in spots has a very narrow shoulder. The scenery is spectacular.
Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:54 PM   #15
jack65

Gotta see Mt Rainier if passing through Seattle!
Here are a lot of pics from past trips up to Mt Rainier:
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/MtRainier.htm
K&N 71-1561 Air Intake w/FlowMaster Exhaust system.
jack65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:06 PM   #16
labman

trip

Little Big Horn. Don't pass on it. IMHO it is powerful.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:52 PM   #17
Mainer

Get a good Atlas. Look for a National Forest, Park, Recreation Area, Wildlife Refuge, and so on, include State stuff too. Look for something 50 to 200 miles out, generally you will find something quite interesting and surprising. There are a few dead zones and some special (read crowded and hard to get into) that may take preplanning and stops in Walmart parking lots to reach.

We did 16000 miles in 5 months, saw lots of stuff we didn't expect to see, did stuff we never expected to do and found that sometimes good stuff was just a short distance away from the popular stuff (e.g. Red Canyon vs Bryce for just one).

Also found the crowds disappear most places if you go more than a mile from the road. Pack a lunch and water.
---stan
Mainer is offline   Reply With Quote