Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2017, 12:37 PM   #1
Desert185

States With The Worst Roads

http://247wallst.com/special-report/...e-worst-roads/
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:42 AM   #2
Dave W

Couple surprises such as Louisiana and Wisconsin but the rest ......
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:11 AM   #3
Desert185

I liked the noted cost per driver vs the condition of the roads.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #4
CaptnJohn

I-80 especially in PA was bad when it was built. No reason for LA roads to suck as badly as they do. Pulling a 5er on I-10 is asking for problems.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:26 PM   #5
John&Genny

Washington State comes in at #7 with just over 31% of its roads in poor condition. As someone who lives in Spokane, that's not surprising. Our roads are terrible here in Eastern Washington. During the winter they actually had to lower the speed limit to 60 mph on a good size section of I-90 near Sprague because the freeway was so bad. Our country has ignored the transportation infrastructure for too long and now we are paying the price.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:32 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

We bought our diesel in the Detroit area as the local dealership wasn't interested in negotiating price. So, to save a significant bit of money, we drove the 150 miles and it was "well worth the trip"... That said, during closing, I was surprised at the "extended warranty offerings" that could be added to the price. We all expect the typical mechanical extended warranty, maybe the appearance coatings that protect the interior and the paint. Heck, even the oil change maintenance plan ??? But I was surprised to see a "tire damage warranty" that would replace tires damaged from potholes and an "upgraded package" that included replacement wheels and also covered alignments. And those packages weren't cheap by any means, so I'd suspect that those who do buy them (we didn't) have enough claims to keep the price "up there". It would have been over $1000 to buy the tire/wheel/alignment damage plan for a 5 year period. Too much for me, that's for sure. Besides, I'm typically looking at the road and don't suspect that I'd "drive into a hole big enough to blow a tire and bend a wheel".... I always thought that's what insurance was supposed to cover.... ?????

So, the way I see things, we (the public) are still paying for the roads, just not to repair them, rather to repair our "stuff" that gets damaged from the "tax spenders" not spending it on that "transportation infrastructure" that it was intended to be spent fixing..... Of course we're getting "very close" to talking politics, not something that is allowed on the forum. Seems to me that now we're not only paying to "not fix the roads" but we're also "buying insurance to fix things busted by the roads".... A double whammy.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:37 AM   #7
Dave W

I have lost track of Ford's ESP (now Protect) but it seems that about everything imaginable is covered. I'm keeping their Base Plan on my '11 to 136,000 milessince it's a Job 1 with a tender set of right cylinder head valve. But even that plan covers much of the suspension - and the fact that our roads hammer the parts --- hard. NY, I believe is #11 - and, without being too political, our stste has expensive and useless to most residents, pet projects that our taxes are paying for rather then infrastructurerebuilding
Old 08-04-2017, 06:04 PM   #8
pawpaw

I-10 and US-90 in South Louisiana are terrible...mostly because they are built over swamps!!
Old 08-04-2017, 06:37 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
I-10 and US-90 in South Louisiana are terrible...mostly because they are built over swamps!!
When I was a kid (yup, I was "young once upon a time) US 51 from Ponchatula to Laplace was the worst road in Louisiana. Every bridge over a "mudhole" was anywhere from a 6" to 18" rise. I well remember riding in the back of grandpa's old red pickup, dodging his tobacco spit and holding on for dear life as we "jumped the bayous" on those bridges. If you weren't holding on, it was real easy to get thrown out of the back and nobody was dumb enough to sit on the wheelwells on that road. That road was replaced in the 70's by Interstate 55, but around Manchac you can stop at Midendorf's for some of the freshest seafood in Louisiana and take part of "old 51" down to Interstate 10. Don't be surprised if you have to slow down for alligators sunning on the asphalt, they really are the "landlord" and we're the tenants in that part of the swamp.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-04-2017, 06:56 PM   #10
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
So, did they use styrofoam to build over the swamps? Up here, the powers that be decided about 12 years ago it would be a great idea to bury 8' deep of styrofoam blocks for about 100' length under the asphalt highway near us where it went thru a slough (MN version of a swamp). Starting about 5 years ago said styrofoam started to compress, along with the heaving/dropping in winter when the ground would freeze. Now, signs say "bump", but you should see the gouges in the highway from people's trailer hitches hitting the tar at 60-70 mph when they go over the "bump up" on either end of the dropped section which is down 6" about.

I know MN isn't ranked as real bad yet according to the article, but between letting a bridge fall over the Mississippi and using styrofoam under the roads, MnDOT just isn't the smartest...

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:01 AM   #11
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
Washington State comes in at #7 with just over 31% of its roads in poor condition. As someone who lives in Spokane, that's not surprising. Our roads are terrible here in Eastern Washington. During the winter they actually had to lower the speed limit to 60 mph on a good size section of I-90 near Sprague because the freeway was so bad. Our country has ignored the transportation infrastructure for too long and now we are paying the price.
When I lived and worked in Washington it always amazed me that I90 was like 5+ lanes wide on the West side of Snoqualmie Pass, then dropped down to 2 lanes at the summit, and was very bumpy. I do remember a project in the late 90's to get rid of the bumps.
I also remember driving back from Spokane on I90 about Ritzville, driving in the left lane as there was no one else in sight, and the right lane was very bumpy and rough. I passes two SP cars under an overpass doing 70 in a 65 zone and having one pull me over, the reason not speed, continued driving in the Left (AKA Passing) lane. I got off with a warning.
In Washington I believe it is what side of the state you live on!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #12
SAABDOCTOR

Our roads in Connecticut are great according to the worst governor in the country! That's why the bridge in Greenwhich on I95 fell into the river
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:10 PM   #13
Dave W

I have to add one to my earlier post and that's US 1 in Maine North of Freeport to at least the turn off to Lubec (ME189). There are short sections that really aren't too bad but then most miles rival any barely 10 foot lanes, potholed, raised crown, big drop offs to virtually no shoulder roads in the boondocks that I've ever driven - anywhere in the world. Every cupboard's contents is scrambled. But with that said, the Maine Coast is spectacular and worth the bouncy trip for lobster and other seafoods.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:09 PM   #14
Tooth Ferry

Mississippi, Louisiana, Oklahoma and all roads near Memphis
Tooth Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:01 AM   #15
CrazyCain

Southern Michigan, especially the greater Detroit AreA

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:58 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCain View Post
Southern Michigan, especially the greater Detroit AreA
I agree !!!! When new car dealers started offering a "pothole insurance/replacement program" (for tires and wheels) along with their "extended warranty program" (for the rest of the vehicle) I realized there's a bigger problem than just dodging holes in the road.......

The roads get better the farther north you get, probably because of less traffic pounding the concrete into tiny pieces......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-30-2018, 09:29 AM   #17
ADQ K9

Interesting that RI is #1 with the second smallest miles and HI is #5 with smallest miles. In the top 5 with less miles to cover... Just an observation.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:32 AM   #18
Dave W

Obviously the 'shovel ready' jobs were only to erect those now disappeared signs
Old 01-30-2018, 12:45 PM   #19
the sodfather

We just brought a car back from Massachusetts to Texas. New York and Louisiana were by far the worst. Wow. They are horrible.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:39 PM   #20
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I agree !!!! When new car dealers started offering a "pothole insurance/replacement program" (for tires and wheels) along with their "extended warranty program" (for the rest of the vehicle) I realized there's a bigger problem than just dodging holes in the road.......

The roads get better the farther north you get, probably because of less traffic pounding the concrete into tiny pieces......
Ha Ha.. Yep, we notice Northbound 75 smooths out the farther we get north. Pretty much smooth sailing from Saginaw/Bay City all the way to the trailer. US 23 is in good shape also

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote