Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #1
gearhead

I'm killing myself

Yesterday I washed and scrubbed the 5th roof with Dawn. Then had EPDM chalk all over the sides so I had to wash it. I was wore out last night. A shot of bourbon and a hot bath and I was out like a light. Got up this morning and said to myself: self, you know you have to do the right thing and wax that trailer. I got the sides done and will finish tomorrow. If I live that long. I should have kept count on how many times I went up that 9ft ladder. Meguiars Flagship Marine liquid wax applied with a 6" random orbit with microfiber pad. I used a 10" random orbit to knock it down, and microfiber towel to finish it off...the trailer and me!
That $300 quote from the detail shop is sounding pretty good.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:36 AM   #2
GmaPaTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Yesterday I washed and scrubbed the 5th roof with Dawn. Then had EPDM chalk all over the sides so I had to wash it. I was wore out last night. A shot of bourbon and a hot bath and I was out like a light. Got up this morning and said to myself: self, you know you have to do the right thing and wax that trailer. I got the sides done and will finish tomorrow. If I live that long. I should have kept count on how many times I went up that 9ft ladder. Meguiars Flagship Marine liquid wax applied with a 6" random orbit with microfiber pad. I used a 10" random orbit to knock it down, and microfiber towel to finish it off...the trailer and me!

But I'll bet it wouldn't be as good of job that you've done....
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:53 AM   #3
WaltBennett

Yes, $300 may sound good, but think of all that great exercise you're getting! (Hope you've a hot tub in a day or so when those muscles start getting stiff!)

I do wash our roof once a year and clean the walls/front/back, but don't go to the extremes you have. I do like the bourbon part though!

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:50 AM   #4
Ron

Since you have that much energy, I happen to know where there is another 5ver that needs attention, weather up here is great and oh I will supply the Bourbon as I watch from my easy chair with of course drink in hand giving support...
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #5
gearhead

Finished a few minutes ago. Tub is running. Might even run those air jet things.
That Meguiars Marine wax works pretty good. I may hit the front cap with some 3M marine wax and/or carnuba in a few days.
I do need to get a 12 ft. step ladder. I gotta tippy toe to work on the cap.

Now I'm road ready.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Wow! It must be the weather. I've been doing the same thing the last two days....only I'm not finished. Got to finish rubbing her down with 303 over the next couple of hours. Then I think I'll have a beer And you're right, that fee at the dealership don't look half bad at the moment.

Seems like you said you were picking peas and collards the other day....maybe a pot of greens is in order..
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:30 PM   #7
gearhead

What do you think of the 303?
I'm thinking the peas and the collards are coming out of the garden. I've got tomatoes sitting on idle waiting to get planted in those spots.
We had rain everyday last week, the rivers are over flood stage and have flooded the bay with freshwater, so no saltwater fishing for me anytime soon. More garden and yard work to do anyway.
April and May are going to be on the road, so gotta get 'er done.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:15 PM   #8
carwheel_09

303 is some good stuff. I buy it by the gallon. Can't say I've ever had a spray on wipe off work as well. Use on the RV, boat and both have always held a deep shine.
carwheel_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:28 PM   #9
jsmith948

^^^^^^^^ This! Stem to stern, top sail to keel! Sunscreen for your stuff

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:18 PM   #10
buzzcop63

I could not get my trailer to our driveway from storage for the wash and wax due to our cul-de-sac being too full of cars. So spent some time trying to figure out how I was going to wash the top of our trailer. We had rain so I thought I would go over in the rain, take my long handled soft brush I wash the Tundra with and see if I could not use the rain to rinse the trailer roof as I cleaned off the winters dirt. Being retired I have the time so over to the trailer I go with my long ladder and working my way around the sides I was able to brush the top and as it was wet the dirt loosened up. Good so far but the rain quite! My Oregon rain failed me and everything I had loosed up now dried up! So back home and bring over some 20 3 quart bottles of filtered water that I had been saving up for this season and washed and rinsed the roof again, only now all the drained white oxidation ran down the sides. So then it was clean all the way around the trailer and rinse off with one bottle at a time. Then it was every couple of days go back over to trailer and wax a section until my 70-year-old arms would not function then home to get sympathy from wife. Also got up on roof and caulked, cleaned all the plastic, lubed the TV antenna. Still doing spit and polish work but just about finished, also changing all the lights to LED's.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

gearhead

I think 303 is good. I wish it would last longer but I think that about everything once I get on the ladder and start rubbing forever. It has worked really well on our trailer; but I started when it was new. You can see the change in color when you apply it (slight) so I don't know how it would be if the paint/decals were oxidized. It's also good for the rubber roof so you just go at it until you drop

We're going to be gone April and May as well to FL. How do you take care of your plants while gone? We gave up gardening when we began traveling.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:00 AM   #12
Scttw

Talking

Quote:
You must live really far south. I won't able to do that until June!
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:51 AM   #13
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
gearhead

I think 303 is good. I wish it would last longer but I think that about everything once I get on the ladder and start rubbing forever. It has worked really well on our trailer; but I started when it was new. You can see the change in color when you apply it (slight) so I don't know how it would be if the paint/decals were oxidized. It's also good for the rubber roof so you just go at it until you drop

We're going to be gone April and May as well to FL. How do you take care of your plants while gone? We gave up gardening when we began traveling.
I think I will try the 303 for my fall detail job. I've heard it mentioned for boats and RV's for quite awhile.
Both our kids live close by. We can get them to water plants. I just have 3 small raised beds...3' x 12' each.
We are doing 2 separate trips. Leave mid April for the NASCAR race at Bristol TN. on April 19. Then on to Richmond VA. for the race the following weekend. Then get on back home and prep for Indy500. Might take our time getting back. Maybe do the Smokies again.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:58 AM   #14
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scttw View Post
You must live really far south. I won't able to do that until June!
We were having a cold spring for us. I'd say temps were 10 degrees below normal for several weeks. Now I'm declaring that winter is over here. I took the hose bib covers off and stored them in the attic. Looked at the attic thermometer, it showed 100F. After last weeks cold rains everyone is in shorts.
I'm in Liberty TX., just out of Houston. About 15 miles from Galveston Bay, and 40 miles from the Gulf. We have 2 seasons: summer and January.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:55 AM   #15
chris199

Quote:
Finished a few minutes ago. Tub is running. Might even run those air jet things.
That Meguiars Marine wax works pretty good. I may hit the front cap with some 3M marine wax and/or carnuba in a few days.
I do need to get a 12 ft. step ladder. I gotta tippy toe to work on the cap.

Now I'm road ready.
Be careful on that 12 ft step ladder. Went backwards over the top... off of an 8 ft ladder last summer. Landed flat on my back. Ladders...BE CAREFUL!

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:03 AM   #16
GmaPaTime

What I do is backup the TV so I can use a 6 foot step ladder off the bed. Much safer then on a 12 footer.
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:18 AM   #17
BlueknightWI

It sure would be great to see some pictures of the finished product. I thought I was the only one who did this kind of stuff.
BlueknightWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:16 AM   #18
gearhead

It's already got yellow and green tree pollen all over it!
I tried the step ladder in the truck bed. That curvature of the front cap keeps getting in my way. I had a 6" strip on top of the cap I couldn't reach. It is what it is.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:06 PM   #19
b.d.keathley

Had my fver since July of 2014 and waxed it 4 times since then. I use just the Meguires Gold Class paste. Seems to work pretty well looks brand new. Havent tried your wax yet. Maybe ill try some.
2013 Keyston Cougar 333MKS
2 15K BTU AC's
b.d.keathley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:07 PM   #20
b.d.keathley

I usually sip Coors Light through out the day while cleaning the outside while my wife cleans the inside.
2013 Keyston Cougar 333MKS
2 15K BTU AC's
b.d.keathley is offline   Reply With Quote