Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Notices

Old 06-12-2019, 12:23 AM   #11
rbrdriver

That is pretty much how I take mine out, with an engine hoist cherry picker. We had to modify our extension tube also to reach the hitch.

rbrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:29 AM   #12
Laredo Tugger

There has recently been a thread on here about removing the hitch with the the trailer jacks,meaning leave the hitch attached to the trailer and release the pins/pucks to hang the hitch on the trailer front. Noted was no foreseeable damage to the hitch or trailer. With proper weather protection (if needed) and security, this sounds like a welcome option verses buying a special jack assembly.
Most of the time my hitch stays in the truck under a tonneau cover. If I ever need to remove it I will just use the trailer for short term use of the truck bed.
RMc

Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:56 AM   #13
AbHDToyHauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
My solution:
I have the same hoist and similar setup . I ran support steel to two legs against wall and a long piece up in attic across 6 trusses. I bought an adjustable cart for putting table saws and shop tools on with wheels. I lift hitch up. Drive out from under. Lower onto cart. I made my stairs into shop hinged (space under stairs had been wasted anyways) and I push hitch under landing for storage. Drop stairs down. Good to go. During summer I will leave hitch in most of time as it is cover with my box lid.
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

LZscout (the OP) modified his engine hoist by adding a beam extension to the hoist. His works for his application and is one way to accomplish the task of lifting his hitch.

My only suggestion for anyone considering modifying their engine hoist beam length is to make sure you don't extend it beyond the C/L of the C/G. In other words, don't make the beam length too long or when you pick up the hitch, you may find that as soon as you take your hands off the hoist, it topples and the hitch falls back into your truck bed or, you hit a bump or pebble, the hitch starts swinging and crashes to the floor. Stay safe and make sure your engine hoist is stable and won't tip beyond the center of gravity of the hoist base !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:30 AM   #15
cookinwitdiesel

Hanging a weight lifting plate off a peg on the main stand can help with balance too when the boom is extended and carrying the hitch.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:55 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
Hanging a weight lifting plate off a peg on the main stand can help with balance too when the boom is extended and carrying the hitch.
There are a number of ways to compensate for "too much weight" beyond the C/G. My point was to caution those who might think, "I'll do that too" without considering the implications. Just a couple days ago a crane in Dallas fell. That wasn't supposed to happen, but for "some reason" the balancing act didn't go as planned. Except for size of the crane, the same thing can happen to a Harbor Freight engine hoist with a fifth wheel hitch "hung too far past the wheels"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:58 AM   #17
Mikendebbie

hitch removal

I had a heavy hitch a few years ago - but my youngest son was still living at home and with both of us on the job - hitch removal was easy. He moved out and I decided we needed to switch to travel trailers because I was not going to fight the heavy hitch by myself. When we bought the current rig - I had read about the Demco Recon - and I can take it out and put it in by myself without risking a hernia or back injury! Don't get me wrong - it is not "light as a feather" - I take my time and think about the lift before I tackle it and after 18 months I am happy with my choice.
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:06 AM   #18
MN-Clark

I built a mount for an 500 pound capacity electric winch from angle and plate steel secured from a local shop. A little welding, grinding and painting and I mounted it to the 2x8 ceiling joists with 8, 6" lag bolts. Had to add a longer control cable on the winch though.

Hang the hitch from 2, 1500 pound capacity nylon lifting straps, mount the rails in the truck bed and back the truck under it.

Takes me about 20 minutes to install or remove the hitch. All the hitch parts are set on a dolly and can easily be rolled anywhere in the garage for storing it.

Works for me.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190107_162412619.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	22248Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190107_162353965.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	22249
MN-Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:26 AM   #19
SDDave

Didn't the crane fall over in high winds?
SDDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #20
dadnjesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
My solution:
This is exactly what I use for my B&W Companion
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1217.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	230.9 KB