Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Notices

Old 04-14-2019, 05:03 AM   #31
mcmeadows1

We use a Mopeka LP Tank Check system -

AP PRODUCTS 0241000 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019QGLVJ2..._gMYSCbQR3XZ9D

Using this monitor system, we can keep the propane selector switch in the center position, drawing from both tanks, while still easily keeping an eye on the level of propane in each tank, without having to physically check each tank. It is very convenient and easy, and we can check the tanks’ levels at 03:00 hours, in cold wet rain, from the comfort of our RV.

I installed the monitor immediately above our RV’s control panel and also use the iOS app on both my, and my wife’s, iPhones and iPads to check the level of propane in both tanks. Using the iOS app, we can be inside the 5th, outside of it, or anywhere within thirty feet or so of it and still check the propane levels. (The signals are sent via Bluetooth.)

The monitor is set for 20 lb tanks and cannot be changed so, for our application, since we have 30 lb propane tanks, the included monitor shows the tanks as being full until they are emptied to about 50 or 60 percent. However, using the iOS app, we can see, in 1% increments, the exact level of propane in each tank. It is very impressive.

If we run out of propane now, it is only because we are too lazy to open the app on our devices and check the propane levels!

mcmeadows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:22 AM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmeadows1 View Post
If we run out of propane now, it is only because we are too lazy to open the app on our devices and check the propane levels!

Not to say your system isn't effective, but exactly the same can be said about the automatic changeover regulator: "If we run out of propane now, it is only because we are too lazy to look at the position of the arrow and whether the indicator is red or green (which tells us the propane status in the tank).

I've always been inclined not to rely on battery powered accessories to monitor/operate sub-systems in anything. Simple mechanical devices that do the same thing often are less expensive and don't rely on a CR2032 battery that doesn't work effectively when cold. That's just my "old aeroplane background" where every system has a mechanical backup or it doesn't fly.... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:39 AM   #33
chuckster57
Site Team

Just one more question:

have we run out of gas on this topic yet

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:07 AM   #34
Ken / Claudia

We have it great nowadays. I used to rv with only 1 tank hooked up at a time. When it ran out it was a a big pain. With 2 and a auto switch is problem solved.
Like every system on the RV, I check them while camping. When I see the red I change out that tank.
Retired Oregon State Police
Now a small town traffic cop
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:21 AM   #35
butterbean

Chuckster57, my apologies for opening this can of worms. I thought it was a simple question but led to much more complicated discussion. My question was indeed answered quickly which is why I love this forum.
butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:28 AM   #36
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmeadows1 View Post

AP PRODUCTS 0241000 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019QGLVJ2..._gMYSCbQR3XZ9D

Using this monitor system, we can keep the propane selector switch in the center position, drawing from both tanks, while still easily keeping an eye on the level of propane in each tank, without having to physically check each tank. It is very convenient and easy, and we can check the tanks’ levels at 03:00 hours, in cold wet rain, from the comfort of our RV.

I installed the monitor immediately above our RV’s control panel and also use the iOS app on both my, and my wife’s, iPhones and iPads to check the level of propane in both tanks. Using the iOS app, we can be inside the 5th, outside of it, or anywhere within thirty feet or so of it and still check the propane levels. (The signals are sent via Bluetooth.)

The monitor is set for 20 lb tanks and cannot be changed so, for our application, since we have 30 lb propane tanks, the included monitor shows the tanks as being full until they are emptied to about 50 or 60 percent. However, using the iOS app, we can see, in 1% increments, the exact level of propane in each tank. It is very impressive.

I agree. I've had the Mopeka sensors and monitor installed on my rig for 3 seasons. It's accurate, hasn't failed, and gives me the convenience of using both the monitor and my phone. The batteries are changed out before the start of each season and last all the way through our Halloween camping nights. This was one of our top 5 mods to the trailer.

Btw, they do sell sensors now that are specific to the larger 30# tanks.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #37
ctbruce
Site Team

Now I'm out of gas....Click image for larger version

Name:	brainfart.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	21393

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:28 AM   #38
larryflew

The tank level system is available with either software for use with your phone or a stand alone receiver. Also should note that the little rubber feet they give you to raise your tank enough so the sensor fits under it are a PITA. I put little 1/2 aluminum blocks in the tank holders in 3 stops to I didn't have to mess with the lost rubber blocks that go flying as you try and put your tank back in your rig after filling. Also slightly cheaper through Amazon and Feebay.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:21 PM   #39
Local150

Propane

I leave one on and when it runs out I swith,, and yes I have had to go out in the cold, but I have had them both on and ran out and ended up froze to death by morning,, at my age you get forgetful
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:17 PM   #40
linux3

I open one tank. When things sputter I open the second tank and get the first one filled.
I like to keep my life simple.

2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 LT
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane