Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
t001xa22

Fresh Water Hose Issue

I am asking an open question: I have not had my TT through a winter yet. Based on the attached photo, am I going to expect a problem with the fresh water hose running directly in front of the furnace discharge vent? According to this design, I have to ask. Please advise. I deliberately angled my hose in the photo to show the detail, but I can't imagine that this was the original intent of the mfg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNI_0074.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	17480  
t001xa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:46 AM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by t001xa22 View Post
I am asking an open question: I have not had my TT through a winter yet. Based on the attached photo, am I going to expect a problem with the fresh water hose running directly in front of the furnace discharge vent? According to this design, I have to ask. Please advise. I deliberately angled my hose in the photo to show the detail, but I can't imagine that this was the original intent of the mfg.

Very legit question!!!

The engineer in me says that design is really, really bad.

If it was my rig, I'd figure a way to get that filter and hose much further away from the heater vent.

A minor side point, I was always told by more experienced campers that a filter, if used, belongs at the supply end so that it keeps contaminants out of your hose as well as the RV. It probably doesn't matter too much if it's just a sediment filter, but if it is filtering odor, etc. it might make a big difference.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Very legit question!!!

The engineer in me says that design is really, really bad.

If it was my rig, I'd figure a way to get that filter and hose much further away from the heater vent.

A minor side point, I was always told by more experienced campers that a filter, if used, belongs at the supply end so that it keeps contaminants out of your hose as well as the RV. It probably doesn't matter too much if it's just a sediment filter, but if it is filtering odor, etc. it might make a big difference.

I know there are different schools of thought on this, but, I put mine like the picture. Used to position it at the source end but could not EVER get the hose taste out of the water - didn't even want to wash my hands in it, and forget about DW. Tried 3 hoses and I suppose the hot sun beating on them makes them put out a taste no matter what. Moved the filter positioned like the picture and no more hose taste.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #4
t001xa22

Steve, thank you for your reply. I am still trying to understand why this system was designed this way. Angling the inlet connection to clear the heater exhaust puts a lot of strain on the water connection to hold that angle. As to the location of the filter, I have often been at various parks where the water spigot was so low to the ground, the filter could not be routed there. This is in addition to the reply about the "hose" taste in the water. I am really hoping that someone from Keystone would voice their response, too. It may be that only my model has this particular routing issue. Thanks again for the response.

Bill
t001xa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #5
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by t001xa22 View Post
Steve, thank you for your reply.

I am really hoping that someone from Keystone would voice their response, too. It may be that only my model has this particular routing issue. Thanks again for the response.

Bill

It's been mentioned before, no one from Keystone is known to monitor this forum. Better to contact them directly on some thing like this.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #6
Miles65

Keystone does some dumb-butt things, as I have found with my 2018 252RL. They obviously don't have any engineers who specialize in real world applications of what they're coming up with in their work areas. Ridiculous!
Miles65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:13 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles65 View Post
Keystone does some dumb-butt things, as I have found with my 2018 252RL. They obviously don't have any engineers who specialize in real world applications of what they're coming up with in their work areas. Ridiculous!
Miles, this is not at you so take with a grain of salt, but....

Keystone is not the only RV manufacturer that designs things the way they do...some seemingly dumb. They all do it...it is the manifestation of so many, wanting so much, for so little....and they sell like hotcakes. Then, when one of us buys one and it's not designed like a million dollar home we b***h. The amazing thing is these things, built as cheaply as they are, are able to withstand thousands upon thousand of miles traveling over horrendous roads; then, we park, open the slides, turn on the utilities.... AND THEY WORK!! All for a pittance.

I know folks get frustrated with their unit - I've had LOTS of trouble with mine...but I love it dearly. I, and the dealer at times, took care of mine...that's what you do. Do I think I would have had better luck with Rockwood, other FR products, Jayco, Palomino, etc. etc.??? NO! I looked at all of them and have owned some. Do I make sure I rant and degrade Keystone at every opportunity? No. An RV is an RV, you have to set your mind to that. Sort of like buying a .22 and thinking you're getting a .45...sorry.

Sorry for the rant, and Miles this was not directed at your post. We have had so many posts lately that belittle Keystone (and yes they have quality issues like EVERY RV manufacturer I know of) and folks just carrying on about how much they hate their RV. Really? Why? If I disliked ANYTHING as bad as some of the posts on here sound I would have been somewhere, buying something, that made me happy- right now - for a little while.

Rant over....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #8
{tpc}

I'm not sure if the OP intent is to have it this way in the winter time (or just colder months) but maybe having it near a heat source isn't that terrible an idea when it is cold out? When its warm, would there be any necessity to keep it away since the furnace wouldn't be on?

However directly in front of the vent itself might be a bad idea if the heat there could damage the filter.

I think keystones idea is that no one is going to put a 90 degree fitting on, nor a filter, so a hose going straight in, might not be in the way?
Old 07-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
I'm not sure if the OP intent is to have it this way in the winter time (or just colder months) but maybe having it near a heat source isn't that terrible an idea when it is cold out? When its warm, would there be any necessity to keep it away since the furnace wouldn't be on?

However directly in front of the vent itself might be a bad idea if the heat there could damage the filter.

I think keystones idea is that no one is going to put a 90 degree fitting on, nor a filter, so a hose going straight in, might not be in the way?
I'd have guess that NO ONE at the factory, doubtful at the dealership, has ever noticed the position of the two & if so don't care!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water