Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2018, 06:30 AM   #21
cynjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefster View Post
I'm looking at my local discount tire, and I'm not seeing too many options for the carlisles. Is brand more important than rating? The Carlisles I'm finding are only D load, but I could move up to an E load rating with tires from Taskmaster or Hartland. But I've never heard of them, and they haven't been recommended on this site from what I can find.
I bought my Carlisles online from Amazon, as the price was the same as walmart.com at $67 each. I had them installed at Walmart because it was quick and convenient (and I don't have a Discount Tire locally), for around $50 if I recall. Grand total was about $320. I sold my TKs on Craigslist to a guy who needed some utility trailer tires with full disclosure of age, mileage, and my opinion that they were fit for light duty use only, and priced them accordingly. All in all, it was a $200 upgrade that appears to be money well spent, as I've towed the 5er with the Carlisles around 500 miles now and they've performed great.
cynjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:37 AM   #22
CWtheMan

Quote:
I'm looking at my local discount tire, and I'm not seeing too many options for the carlisles. Is brand more important than rating? The Carlisles I'm finding are only D load, but I could move up to an E load rating with tires from Taskmaster or Hartland. But I've never heard of them, and they haven't been recommended on this site from what I can find.
Below is a link to Discount Tires Direct. They ship free to an installer of your choice. Even your local Discount Tire store.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/t...=trailer-tires
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #23
KCSA75

Quote:
I didn't see any E-rated tires online, but there is a DT store not far from my office. I stopped in over lunch one day and spoke with the manager. He was very accommodating. You might give your store a call or stop by.

Also, Hartland is DT's exclusive brand. I don't know much about them but checked with my old friend Google and found the following:
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=27771
https://www.google.com/search?q=hart...w=1536&bih=732
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wh...-tires-tested/

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:31 AM   #24
sstedman

Two days after I bought my Cougar I replaced the tires. Safety can't wait!!
sstedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #25
msubobcats

We were just in Denver for a family reunion. On Sunday heading to my Cousins in Littleton on C470 we passed a TT that had a blowout. It sure was not pretty.
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:48 AM   #26
CWtheMan

There is a flaw in the specs for your trailer I used when reviewing your trailer. The reference isn’t from keystone so I’ll leave it up to you to confirm the info using your trailers certification label.

In the reference below they list your GVWR as 8000# with a 825 tongue weight. That will not work with the tires they list as the OEM size the trailer should have been delivered with.

When you deduct the 825# from 8000# and divide by 2 you get 3587.5. That is the minimum legal load capacity for tire fitments. The ST205/75R14C tires in the reference do not provide that much load capacity and would warrant a recall action against Keystone for that unsafe condition.

If you find that condition on your certification label, report it to the dealer. If they take no action report it to keystone - with pictures of the certification label.

IMO, Original Equipment tires on all RV trailers need to be upgraded to have a load capacity 10% above the trailer’s certified GAWRs.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2018-...3290bh-tr34271
Old 07-19-2018, 09:11 AM   #27
Hey Louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuley View Post
I suspect the majority of the responces will be "immediately". I ran mine for three years with no grief but I suspect I am one of the lucky ones.
I must be one of the lucky ones as well. Our last 5er had Pantera tires. I checked the air pressure prior to every trip and drove wisley. Had them for 7 years and over 20,000 miles with no issues. Was going to replace them this year but bought a new 5er instead.

You need to do what will allow you to enjoy your travels.
Hey Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #28
larryflew

We bought a used 2011 Alpine (16000 pounds). Was not driven much and tires looked fine and I check pressures and temperatures every stop with those add on pressure sensors and with electronic temp tester. 2015 trip from MN to AZ by way of TX and AZ to MN on way back. 3 blow outs at 3 different times. Bought the best hvy duty Goodyears I could find and they cost less than the 3 blowout replacements even though the first one was free using the spare.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:38 PM   #29
Jefster

My actual tires, and the sticker on the trailer for equipment, has 225 75 r15 D. So that's at least a little better than whatever specs you were looking at. I'll still upgrade to E as soon as I get the chance, but I think it is within the D load range
Jefster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #30
BadmanRick

We have a 2011 bullet Premier ty. It came with Power king TowMax srt tires. These tires are rated at 75 mph. Most other tires are rated at 60-65 mph. This is below interstate highway speeds. When you exceed the MAX LIMITS the tires blow out very quickly.
I have only found a couple of other trailer tires with this speed rating or higher. The highest I found was 85 mph. But the tires were a lot more expensive. You get what you pay for.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:56 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
My actual tires, and the sticker on the trailer for equipment, has 225 75 r15 D. So that's at least a little better than whatever specs you were looking at. I'll still upgrade to E as soon as I get the chance, but I think it is within the D load range

Jefster, here is part of the problem with RV tires. The size tire you have has a weight rating of 2540 lbs. per tire (memory) and you have an 8000 lb. gvw trailer. You should be OK with the exception of them being China bombs. On the other hand I had Trailer Kings (you have Tow Max if I recall - about the same thing) and my gvw is 10k. You have a more room to play weight wise than I did. I've seen them using the LRDs on trailers in the 6k range....and still on 10k; makes no sense to me.

In your case, with the cargo you are going to be carrying (all those kids) I would not chance the bombs; I would go to LRE in a good, reputable tire just for safety's sake.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:07 PM   #32
oldtimer

Soon... Very soon!

I put maybe 8000 miles on my 2016 Outback. Drove about 50 miles with a shredded tire (unknowingly) and got to a tire store where they told me not only did I have one bad tire, but 4 tires with separated cords. $400 later, feeling very lucky, I now have better piece of mind.
oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:20 PM   #33
I.plod

Oh good heavens, I had mine for 4 years and had no problems.

Bluegrass Bass Player Central Virginia
2014 Bullet 230BHS
2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
I.plod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #34
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.plod View Post
Maybe fill us in on what you had for four years....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.plod View Post

I had "mine" for 4 years and had no problems?......what were "mine"? Tire brand, size LR, trailer gvw etc. This thread is about a family loading a van with 11 kids and umpteen kinds of gear to travel. Their safety is paramount. You had "yours" for 4 years, basically encouraging the OP to keep the China bombs; please expound for everyone's benefit. Historical data and user feedback actually would urge the OP to use caution....not listen to an " I had mine for 4 years" remark with no substance. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:24 AM   #36
ubetcha

Just reading these stories about " China Bombs" and wondering if someone has a good/bad list of tires. I did have a tire blow out on my old camper ( 1996 Starline Nomad) and replaced them with Goodyear Marathons. I now have a 2017 Hideout RLS with Karrier Load Star tire. I have not looked at tire size or load rating yet. Wondering if its recommended to place these tires.
ubetcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:24 AM   #37
ChuckS

It’s a great group here with tons of “real world” experience to share.

Personally I would not run Tow Max or Trailer King tires at all...

Do some google searches on those tires and they clearly are junk.

Yes I replaced my TK tires at 2000 miles. No I did not buy American made replacements.

I upgraded from E rated 10 ply to 14 ply G rated Chinese tires and after four seasons use have no worries.

Look at the pics of tire damage from TK or TM tires and make your decision.

Also... no RV tire will stand up to towing at 75 mph especially on 90 degree plus days.

Tow at 62 to 65 with proper inflation and ride with a peace of mind.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:27 AM   #38
ubetcha

I just checked the tire size and load rating on my Load Stars and the size is ST205/75R14 load C . . Also embossed on the side said made in China.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:01 PM   #39
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubetcha View Post
I just checked the tire size and load rating on my Load Stars and the size is ST205/75R14 load C . . Also embossed on the side said made in China.
According to your trailer's specs you have tires rated at a maximum of 3520# on axles rated at 3500#. If you're going to carry somewhere around 1000# or more cargo in your trailer you should think very seriously of upgrading your tires to LRD. That would provide you with about 15% more load capacity, in reserve.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:07 PM   #40
ubetcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
According to your trailer's specs you have tires rated at a maximum of 3520# on axles rated at 3500#. If you're going to carry somewhere around 1000# or more cargo in your trailer you should think very seriously of upgrading your tires to LRD. That would provide you with about 15% more load capacity, in reserve.
These numbers are starting to get confusing. Your quote of 3520 # would be for one axle correct? This campers has two axle's so that would give me a capacity of 7040# total. The listed GVWR is 7825#. Even with all these figures flying around, I think I would still be better off with LDRD or higher. Man I getting confused.�� The GVWR is a number I should not exceed ,which includes the trailer and cargo,right?

Tags
tires