Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
Sad camper

Really Challenging Start

So here is my tale of sad camping which I will follow up with updates.

My brand new RV Keystone Outback (had it less than 45 days) met its first rain storm. Water falls (literally) started pouring out of the front charging station and receptacles. Contacted the local dealer as I am more than 1200 miles from home on a trip. They advised that I seal it up and proceed home to the dealer that sold me the d=camper saying that once that much water was in the wall, I should look at replacing the camper and that the repair would take months. I have not yet made my first payment. I awoke to take the Rv to the local dealer in Willis Texas to get sealed but was awoken by my wet mattress and continued waterfalls from electrical sockets around the bed area. My clothes in the closet were soaked. With it still raining, I decided to drive immediately the 18 hours back to the local dealer who sold me the RV. When I was setting up in the rain to leave, the Kitchen slide would not come in. upon further inspection, the cable was off the wheel on the top forward cable and has jammed in the bracket causing the bracket to bend. The slide is stuck out. I cant move. Still raining, still water pouring in. I will update all on how the dealer and Keystone responds. So far, at least the local dealer in texas (not where I bought) explained that I needed the entire front removed, dried out and parts replaced, lengthy repair better done at home. Home folks discussed putting some caulk on. I laughed. I have owned a variety of rvs for 20 years. This is a nightmare scenario. I will report out on how this gets handled. In my opinion, these are not warranty repairs but existing product defects and they should give me a new RV. If the repairs are no big deal, they should have no trouble carrying them out and reselling it. Updates soon.
Sad camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
theeyres

Your scenario is simply beyond belief. I don't know what I'd to in your situation. Good luck.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:06 AM   #3
bsmith0404

Ummmm DAMN! That's all I have to say about that.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:17 AM   #4
WaltBennett

If Keystone doesn't immediately give you a new unit, I'd be finding a lawyer.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:16 AM   #5
GaryWT

Good luck and yes please keep us updated.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:07 AM   #6
Glenn54

This doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. Taking delivery next week on my 1st TT. I sure hope they give you a brand new trailer. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:20 AM   #7
DWM

Am I the only one that things this sounds strange. I would think for water to be pouring out multiple outlets it would take a huge opening to let that much water in. Wouldn't the walls have to be full of water up to the height of the outlets for water to come out of them? I have never seen outlets in the closet of a camper so how did those clothes get soaked unless water was coming through the ceiling? And third I have never seen a kitchen slide with the cable slide. Only slides I have seen use cables are the small bedroom slides in 5th wheels. Are there models out that use the cables on the bigger lower level slides? I would like to know if this is a TT or 5th wheel and what model this is?
DWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:26 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWM View Post
Am I the only one that things this sounds strange. I would think for water to be pouring out multiple outlets it would take a huge opening to let that much water in. Wouldn't the walls have to be full of water up to the height of the outlets for water to come out of them? I have never seen outlets in the closet of a camper so how did those clothes get soaked unless water was coming through the ceiling? And third I have never seen a kitchen slide with the cable slide. Only slides I have seen use cables are the small bedroom slides in 5th wheels. Are there models out that use the cables on the bigger lower level slides? I would like to know if this is a TT or 5th wheel and what model this is?

Depending on model, I've seen outlets in closets, and plumbing for washer/dryer. Cables are used on a variety of slides, big small upper and lower. Just did a '15 outback that had 3 slides all cable.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:41 AM   #9
SAABDOCTOR

NO CHUCKSTER YOUR NOT ALONE! Something sounds a tad off. Sure gets our attention
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
Big rain which has happened in many parts to he US, however, no signature or location, but then first post I have no reason not to believe him. Until shown different, I really feel sorry for the guy. Must be some big cracks on the top side or perhaps seams not sealed around the cap, that would explain all the water in a heavy rain fall coming down the walls out the electrical. I have a outlet in my closet as well, cloths wet, that just says bad caulking or as I said maybe none. I sure wouldn't want to be in his shoes and I don't think anyone else would either. I wish you the best in your endeavor for repair/replacement.
The OP's first post indicates (in the upper right corner of the post) that his location is 27958. The Zip code is for Moyock, NC. In the post, he indicates that he took the camper to the "LOCAL DEALER" in Willis, Texas {just north of Conroe and Houston, Texas) for inspection. It would appear from his statements that his "location" is Moyock, NC and he is "1200 miles from home" in Willis, Texas at the current time. So, yes, there is a location given, both his home area and his current travel location are listed in the post.

Hopefully, this is a "simple fix" and he can get back to camping without too much of a hassle. I also would be a very "sad camper" if this had happened to me.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #11
Glenn54

"Assume positive intention". OP may have left some things out of the explanation due to the stressful situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #12
So Cal CPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltBennett View Post
If Keystone doesn't immediately give you a new unit, I'd be finding a lawyer.
This.

Can't wait to see pics and/or see how Keystone resolves this. I wouldn't accept anything less than either a new unit or to void the deal altogether. This is a completely defective unit in my mind. Shouldn't have to make payments on a unit you cannot use because it was defective off the factory floor.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:57 AM   #13
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn54 View Post
"Assume positive intention". OP may have left some things out of the explanation due to the stressful situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X 2, I think if I woke up to that sort of mess in a brand new trailer I wouldn't be writing a novel on every detail as my mind would be spinning as what to do about things.
I hope things work out for him
Old 09-22-2014, 06:14 AM   #14
DWM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Depending on model, I've seen outlets in closets
In a closet slide? I don't see them running electric wires into a small wardrobe slide in a 5th wheel. Maybe they did but I have never seen it. He did say it was an Outback and since it is posted on the 5ver forum that's what I will assume it is and every Outback 5ver model has the wardrobe slide according to website. That would mean the slide also has a big leak alone with the massive leak pouring water out multiple outlets like a waterfall. Even if the slide does have outlets water is not going to follow the wire out one wall and back in the slide wall to soak his clothes. This may be a true story but I just can not picture in my mind that big a hole and that much water coming in without a fire hose pointed at the leaks. Maybe a disgruntled worker turned the gutter into the wall. If his story is true I wish him luck at getting a new camper because this one will be junk with that much water. Hope he opened the door to let the river run back out.
DWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #15
Bulletproof

All of a sudden, my camper problems seem null!

2005 Chevy Avalanche Z71
2011 Bullet 281BHS
P3 Controller.
New to camping, Girls 7 and 10, Yellow Lab Dakota!
Bulletproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #16
outwest

With that much water, hoo boy! Feel for ya and hope it gets sorted.

@DWM - regarding cable for kitchen slide - it's a shallow slide (18" deep) but the Vantage 32FLS has a kitchen slide (with fridge, stove, microwave, counter, and sink) that uses the cable system. Previous rig was an Open Range Journeyer that had dining table and entertainment center on a deep slide that used cable system and loveseat, fridge, and oven in another slide that also used cable.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #17
Sad camper

Sad Camper

To all doubters. The wall was full of water. Here is the link to the video. I have pictures as well. I was finally contacted by the Customer Service manager at Keystone last week who began to slowly offer remediation. I asked him to write it down and send it to my attorney. He contacted me only because he received a letter from my attorney. There is a huge disconnect between the dealer and the manufacturer and I am getting different stories. Keystone offered to bring it back to the factory and basically overhaul the camper. They also offered to cover "some" of my payments. Nothing has been mentioned about the devaluation of a water damaged RV that is brand new. To date, the attorney has not received their written remediation plan.

Link to the damage below.....which again occurred prior to my first payment, on my first trip, 22 hours from home.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

I have not had a usable RV since my initial post (they have had it for months for repair at TAC in Moyock, NC). I just make the payments. TAC (the dealer) called today saying it was ready for pickup and that all approved repairs were complete. They replaced none of the interior water soaked cabinets, mattress, bed, floor......nothing but a new roof and said everything else was fine. Unacceptable to me and not what Keystone offered to do for us over the phone.

The bottom line is that I was sold a hugely defective product and they are happy to patch it up and hand it back. Would any of you accept that ? probably not. Nor will I.

My name is John Lorentz and I live in Moyock, NC. These (TAC or Keystone) people didn't even contact me at all during the repairs (months) until my attorney sent them a letter. They are running out of time to do the right thing. Soon this will get expensive for everyone.

I don't even want to see the RV again. I was sold a complete piece of junk and was relegated to a patch job repair and now have to spend money on an attorney to get them to do the right thing. Stay away from Keystone. I have no evidence that they will do the right thing on their own. My attorney has instructions to contact them one more time and then file at the courthouse. I will keep you posted. This is the real deal rip off.

John
Old 12-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #18
Sad camper

Clarification

The slide out that failed was the kitchen. It was unrelated to the rain penetration but prevented me from moving to the appointed place of temporary repair as I couldn't move the RV until a field repair was conducted to retract the slide. It rained the entire time which worsened the damage to the interior components. I was stuck. It looked to me as if the cables were improperly installed as they seemed twisted on the forward edge (which derailed) in a way that the aft cables were not.

John
Old 12-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #19
Sad camper

Clarification for DOUBTERS

I live in Moyock, NC 27958 where the dealer TAC is located. The failure occurred on College Station Texas. Willis Texas was the dealer Keystone customer service instructed me to take the RV (the day the slide failed). After I retracted the slide, I drove straight through 22 hours to TAC.

See if you can find some holes in that. Soon enough you can read the court records. Currituck County is where the case will be filed.

John
Old 12-23-2014, 07:50 PM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

I don't see where anybody was trying find "holes" in your story. I am sorry you are having issues with your new trailer and I hope it is resolved in a manner that is satisfactory to both parties.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
disaster, leaks, quality, warranty