Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2018, 09:07 AM   #1
bdaniel

Just Blowing off Steam on Poor Build Quality

I've had a leaking roof, side vents and 3 rear ramp doors. The siding cracked around the rear ramp door because of shoddy construction. Three of the four axle seals were leaking grease when I get it home new. The front cap faded and was repainted. The tires exploded. One of the axles bent and destroyed two new Michelin tires. The touch control panel did not work and was replaced with mechanical switches.

Now two more issues. The main slide has been slow since day one. I always use the mechanical switch instead of the remote because the remote is slow to activate. I read on a forum (maybe here) that a slow slide motor is often caused by low voltage. One guy said the slide worked much better with the remote. So I tried it. Yep. The wiring from the mechanical switch is too small to carry the current for the motor. It works much better with the remote. So I have to replace the wiring from the inside switches to the slide motor. How did they screw that up?

Some of the bolts holding up the black plastic under belly behind the axles had pulled through the plastic. I thought it would be a simple matter of moving them and reattaching. Except that the cross braces from one I beam to the other were flopping around. They are broken. And those are the only braces between the I beams near the axles. Very thin braces that are thinner than bed rails. Really. Bed frame rails would be a huge improvement. They did not think a 38 foot toy hauler needed a little bracing there?

I have weighed my rig fully loaded with water, clothes, food, motorcycle, etc and I have never been overloaded.

Why can't US RV manufacturers made a decent product?

Ok, I feel better. I will post photos or blogs later.

Bobby
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Look that underbelly over good. On my 1st encounter with heavy rain with my new trailer (in LA - state) I stopped for gas and saw a waterfall gushing our from under the trailer, from on top of the coroplast. The front attachments either went thru the material or weren't there. It acted like a big scoop and just shoveled tons of water into the underbelly. They had to replace the coroplast and other affected items then I had them put a metal flashing shield across the front of the membrane to prevent it from happening again.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #3
KHBama

Its a shame. I bought my Laredo 5th wheel at the end of last year. After owning 2 previous Travel Trailers, my thought process going in was "I know there will be problems, just hope its not major..." That's a pretty crappy attitude to have toward such a big investment. And sure enough, little things started happening. Leak at the roof where the front cap meets, locks started coming apart, things mislabeled, propane doors came flying opening going down the interstate, awning stopped working, wall panel came completely loose from the wall. I'm only 9 months in, can't wait too see what else happens over the next few years
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:38 AM   #4
bdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHBama View Post
propane doors came flying opening going down the interstate,

I forgot about that. Mine are taped shut with black gorilla tape.

Bobby
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:01 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaniel View Post
I forgot about that. Mine are taped shut with black gorilla tape.

Bobby
Don't mean to state the obvious Bobby but they do make WHITE gorilla tape if you are worried about the looks. I carry a roll everywhere I go!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:12 PM   #6
travelin texans

[QUOTE=wiredgeorge;308876]Don't mean to state the obvious Bobby but they do make WHITE gorilla tape if you are worried about the looks. I carry a roll everywhere I go! [/QUOT

Better yet, work on the latches!
I carry black, white & clear Gorilla tape, bailing wire & silicone WD40 everywhere.
If it moves & shouldn't, tape it, if should move & doesn't, spray with silicone, if it won't stay open or closed, tie it with the wire!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:30 PM   #7
mikz86ta

Despite having bought a year old unit that the original owner probably dealt with a majority of the issues, we still faced our share.
For the first 6mos I thought our Samsung soundbar didn't come with a subwoofer. Only to find out they 'hid' it in the understorage. Grand idea! Especially since the Samsung's are known for mysterious un-pairing the wireless soundbar from the main unit. Guess what...ours did just that. Only way to re-pair is to physically push a button on the sub while performing a re-pair on the main unit. Which for one person is about as possible as playing pitch-n-catch with yourself. Aside from the boneheads putting the sub next to the water pump under there which I have seen where faulty water pump installs leak. After one failed re-pair, I moved the sub behind the couch inside....doesnt affect couch recliner movement, out of the way, out of sight and sounds better.

The main awning (20ft) has a short in the LED strip. Probably because the wire rolls up and out alot since the strip is on the awning tube. Thanks Carefree of Colorado!
Replaced the awning arm, motor side of the same 20ft one. A designed weak point reared its head and eventually broke in half. Lucky CofC actually warranties it.

Our main slide with couch and fridge doesn't sit level. Top out just slightly farther than bottom. Probably needs adjusting but figured they would have got it aligned from the factory. Image buying a $100k Mercedes Benz New and it puts hard right off the lot. Would that be acceptable?

There's a few other things but I don't wanna get worked up
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality