Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
jalciere

New Cougar X-Lite 26 SAV Owner has Winterizing Question.

My wife and I purchased a 2011 Cougar X-Lite 26 SAV this spring, and have had our most enjoyable RV season ever. The Cougar is our first 5th wheel. We had owned three TTs previously. Our tow vehicle is a 2011 Toyota Tundra double-cab, with 5.7-litre V8 and TRD off-road package. The Tundra pulls and stops the Cougar easily, but I'm planning to install helper springs in the spring for some added support when the pavement gets choppy.

I had started winterizing the trailer this weekend, but am at a loss as to how to gain access to the water pump. It's behind a wood panel, and appears inaccessible. Does this model have an accessible fresh water tank bypass valve? I don't want to pour the RV antifreeze into the fresh water tank. Do I have any alternative?

Thanks in advance!
jalciere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
SteveC7010

I found a panel in the basement area of our fiver that is easily removed with two screws. It is located right behind the city connection. Once removed, the water pump was fairly reachable. Yours may well be in a similar location.

I purchased a winterizing kit, but still had to make a trip to the local home improvement store for a couple of adapter fittings. Turns out the winterizing kit is designed for older water pumps with threaded NPT connections for the inlet. My pump has the quick connects which are not compatible with the pipe threads on the winterizing valve.

Luckily, the feed hose from the fresh water tank to the pump is not PEX but regular braided flex hose. So it was is simple matter of purchasing two 1/2" barb to 1/2" NPT-F fittings and hose clamps. Installation took about 5 minutes and I was ready to go.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winterizing