Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
pollockd

Range hood fan stopped working!

Hi Everyone,

Our range hood fan just stopped working while cooking dinner. The range light still works along with everything else as far as we can tell in the TT. Any ideas? We have a new Laredo 291TG - a couple of months old.

Dave
pollockd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
DEW

Sorry I have no idea on that issue as mine seems to run, but I have no idea where is exhausts. Does anyone know where it exhausts?
2003 Avalanche 5.3L w/ 4:10 gears
Reese HP Dual Cam
DEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
hankaye

pollocked, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollockd View Post
Hi Everyone,
Our range hood fan just stopped working while cooking dinner. The range light still works along with everything else as far as we can tell in the TT. Any ideas? We have a new Laredo 291TG - a couple of months old.
Dave
Did you look to see if the wire came loose or is broken?

DEW
"Sorry I have no idea on that issue as mine seems to run, but I have no idea where is exhausts. Does anyone know where it exhausts?"

Look outside, you should see a angled rectangular box attached to the exterior directly outside from the kitched ...dat be it!
Mine has a pair of twist locks to keep it from flapping to loudly when it's windy.
If yours dosn't seem to work to well, unlock the vent cover...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
Bob Landry

It doesn't exhaust anywhere on my Outback.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

On many of the newer models, there is no visible exhaust nor a box similar to the one described by Hankaye above. You can look for one outside, but you won't find one.
The venting system is "self-enclosed" as opposed to being vented directly via a duct to the outside.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
Txoutback

I have not prove this yet but I believe mine shares the exhaust with the fridg on the roof. I pulled the ladder out this evening to prove or disprove this theory but got distracted by more concerning issues. I'll get to this tomorrow.

2011 Outback 277RL
2011 Ford F150 EB Max Tow
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:57 AM   #7
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
On many of the newer models, there is no visible exhaust nor a box similar to the one described by Hankaye above. You can look for one outside, but you won't find one.
The venting system is "self-enclosed" as opposed to being vented directly via a duct to the outside.

Festus, Will you please explain "self-enclosed?
Old 06-12-2011, 05:47 AM   #8
Johnnyfry

Self enclosed

Ha! "self enclosed" is another term for a system which runs the exhaust through a charcoal filter and blows it back in your face. A lot of cheap home vent hoods do this and it is totally BOGUS!!. The guy that thought up that system should be taken out and hung up by the thumbs!

If you have this setup, and you do any cooking beyond boiling water, do yourself a favor and cut ( or get the dealer to do it) a hole in the side and the side of the trailer install a proper venting hood.

Sorry, my rant for the day.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:52 AM   #9
Txoutback

Festus is right. Turn the fan on and put your hand on either side of the fan to feel it blowing out. Nothing blows out the fridg vent. TOTALLY Worthless. This does not vent the smoke and heat outside the TT, very disappointing.

2011 Outback 277RL
2011 Ford F150 EB Max Tow
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:06 AM   #10
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
Ha! "self enclosed" is another term for a system which runs the exhaust through a charcoal filter and blows it back in your face. A lot of cheap home vent hoods do this and it is totally BOGUS!!. The guy that thought up that system should be taken out and hung up by the thumbs!

If you have this setup, and you do any cooking beyond boiling water, do yourself a favor and cut ( or get the dealer to do it) a hole in the side and the side of the trailer install a proper venting hood.

John
Can't do it on the 277. The window behind the sink extends over behind the stove and does not allow room to install a vent to the outside. There may be a way to do it, but it would require some creative sheet metal work.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:17 AM   #11
hankaye

Howdy All;

I guess Keystone has figured out how to stop cold air from blowing INTO the trailer thru thr vent fan.....Don't cut the hole..... chuckle, chuckle...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:46 AM   #12
pollockd

i was going to look for a loose wire, but I have to bring the TT to the dealer to fix the front stabalizer jacks. there is a "gold" sleeve that should be attached to the "bars". two screws are missing, so it just spins and does not put down the gear.
pollockd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #13
The Sod Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post

John
I share your rant! The hose we currently live in had recirculating vents for not only the range vent, but also all three bathrooms. How the hell are you supposed to get the steam out when you shower??? The result was mold around the windows in the winter time. And not to mention the fact that whenever you drop a deuce, the smell stays.

I have since replaced all vents and all now vent outside. No mold, no smoke detectors going off when you sear a steak and no dookie smell.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #14
The Sod Father

On another note and in reply to the original post.....

Our Bullet does not have the vent sticking out of the side wall, but it DOES have a vent on the roof. It is not shared with the fridge vent - it is it's own vent. I'm still a bit leery of this if for no other reason that we now have one more thing sticking out of the roof that needs to be caulked and a potential leak source. JMHO.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #15
Festus2
Site Team

Some people like to rant. Others like to vent. I like johnnyfry's rant better than Keystone's stove vent. We all know that the Ad and PR folks there like to dazzle us with gimmicks like Arctic Package, Hitch Vision, and yes, "self-enclosed" vent systems. Provides fodder for us to rant - or vent - whichever gives us the most satisfaction. Too bad one works and the other doesn't.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #16
The Sod Father

VERY profound Festus. Well done sir!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #17
Outbackmel

Inside Venting

My 2011 Outback seems to pull the air up "nicely" and circulate it at ceiling level towards the "fire alarm" which works GREAT. I "jump up", grab a paper or magazine and flail my arms until the alarm quits.

As an alternative, I cook outside at every opportunity. I can see where anyone cooking in cooler or rainy climates would be sooooo frustrated.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Hmmmmm a "NON VENTED VENT" Sounds like the politicians started working at Keystone LOL

Like others, I've lived in places where the range hood only "filtered" some of the smell out of the cooking exhaust and then vented it right back into the room. WHAT A MESS!!!!!

I couldn't imagine a bath vent doing this, why even have one?????

As for Keystone. If it vents into the referigerator stack, be careful !!!!! Any accumulated grease there is a fire waiting to happen, what with a propane fire and all the heat that's there already. I'd definitely not want any grease from cooking blowing against my referigerator coils !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:11 AM   #19
The Sod Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
My 2011 Outback seems to pull the air up "nicely" and circulate it at ceiling level towards the "fire alarm" which works GREAT. I "jump up", grab a paper or magazine and flail my arms until the alarm quits.

As an alternative, I cook outside at every opportunity. I can see where anyone cooking in cooler or rainy climates would be sooooo frustrated.
Ditto. 99% of the time I am cooking outside. That was the primary impetus for us getting the new rig with the outside kitchen. Well, that and the fact that the floor on my Rockwood was getting a tad soft in one spot under a window.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #20
The Sod Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sod Father View Post
On another note and in reply to the original post.....

Our Bullet does not have the vent sticking out of the side wall, but it DOES have a vent on the roof. It is not shared with the fridge vent - it is it's own vent. I'm still a bit leery of this if for no other reason that we now have one more thing sticking out of the roof that needs to be caulked and a potential leak source. JMHO.
Soooooo..... I now have yet another reason to dislike my dealer. During the PDI, they told us that the fan vented through the roof. Silly me, I believed him. Not having much reason to inspect the roof, I figured, it was set back a bit and not clearly visible from the road like the fridge vent.

So this past weekend I was campering and decided to cook something inside the trailer to get away from the skeeters. I turned on the fan, lit the burner and started boiling water. Remembering this thread, I looked under the hood, put my hand near the back of the "exhaust" fan and realized it was blowing hot air. Yep, it was recirculating. I said, "are you f&%$#ing kidding me??". This was after I noticed that one of the leaking windows that was supposed to be repaired was, once again, leaking.

So two things - 1)apologies for leading others to believe I had a roof vent for the exhaust. Silly me to think the dealer knew his product. Lesson learned. 2) Now debating on having a hole cut in the side of the trailer or just put a fantastic fan in the roof vent as that would be far more effective at venting cooking heat and smells. And it is only a few feet from the stove that is rarely used.