Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2011, 06:28 AM   #1
emax

hitching problem on new laredo 303tg

Well don't know where to Begin last week I went to pick up my new camper at camping world in lake land NJ and it was the worst experience of my life. Well I also bought the Reese strait-line hitch from them being that my camper is a late 2011 model it has the new front cap on it with the hidden propane tanks so when they went to put on the hitch they were only able to get on WD and not the sway control being that the battery box mounts where in the way has any one had this problem with theres and if so what did you do to fix it or did you use a different hitch. Well camper still at camping world with a ton of things wrong with it I am so disappointed.
emax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
jq1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by emax View Post
Well don't know where to Begin last week I went to pick up my new camper at camping world in lake land NJ and it was the worst experience of my life. Well I also bought the Reese strait-line hitch from them being that my camper is a late 2011 model it has the new front cap on it with the hidden propane tanks so when they went to put on the hitch they were only able to get on WD and not the sway control being that the battery box mounts where in the way has any one had this problem with theres and if so what did you do to fix it or did you use a different hitch. Well camper still at camping world with a ton of things wrong with it I am so disappointed.
My Laredo 297 RL with the new front cap has a Reese Trunnion Bar WDH with Reese Friction Sway Control attached. No problem with the fit & it works fine. Why the Reese strait-line won't work is beyond me. I've also read on this blog that some members are using the duaL-cam sway control with the new cap. I believe one said it was necessary to move the battery box forward to make it work. Good Luck!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
Laredo291OH

I have a 291TG with the new front cap and have installed the dual cam. I own a weld/fab shop but didn't want to move the battery box. I don't think you could move the battery box forward, you would have to move it up higher. I just modified the mounts for the dual cam. You can mount the dual cams backwards (swap right to left as shown in the instructions) this gets you most of the way, then I just cut away part of the mounting bracket to clear the battery. The part that I cut away is the inside leg that has the tapped hole for the jack bolt to hold the mount to the frame until you get the self tapping bolts installed. I only cut away about 1" of the leg leaving the tapped hole and the jack bolt installed. I'll try to get some pictures posted.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:36 AM   #4
tribalsimba

e-Qual-izer

I just picked up my brand new 2011 303tg a few days ago; and we bought ours with an EQualizer hitch, and it bolted right on. It's the 12K.lbs model; and it worked great for me.

As for your 'other' problems, I do hope you'll share.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
DEW

I just recieved my 291TG with the new front cap too. As indicated the Reese Dual Cam will not fit due to the battery tray being the way. So some sort of mods will be needed to add that in (ie move the battery up or change the actual dual cam around)

Like jq1031, I have the Reese Trunnion Bar WDH with Friction Sway Control attached. I wanted the Dual Cam, but was not in the mood to mod right there at the dealership. I will see how this setup works before I do anything drastic.

I too agree, you should have had no issues with this typical installation.

Hope all goes well with the other issues...let us know what they are. In the limited time I have been here I have learned alot from the other Forum members.
2003 Avalanche 5.3L w/ 4:10 gears
Reese HP Dual Cam
DEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
jq1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEW View Post
I just recieved my 291TG with the new front cap too. As indicated the Reese Dual Cam will not fit due to the battery tray being the way. So some sort of mods will be needed to add that in (ie move the battery up or change the actual dual cam around)

Like jq1031, I have the Reese Trunnion Bar WDH with Friction Sway Control attached. I wanted the Dual Cam, but was not in the mood to mod right there at the dealership. I will see how this setup works before I do anything drastic.

Hope all goes well with the other issues...let us know what they are. In the limited time I have been here I have learned alot from the other Forum members.
DEW... I'm thinging of putting a 2nd friction Sway on the other side, it was something I thought about & now I may do it!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
emax

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEW View Post

OK well with all the other problems that I am having like the unit not being detailed and the rear bunk coming apart and the rims clear coat pealing and the center cap on the rim all rusty and holes in the screens thing and not being done that they said was done and just down right dirty. The dealer did move the battery box from left to right to front and back and that solved the issue with the sway control and they ordered me new rims and center caps and fixed all the other little thing that were wrong with it. I was told about two weeks for the parts to come in and i should be on my way and was told they would take care of me we will see. again I can't wait to get my unit and go camping. Going to strawberry park in Connecticut at the end of may during memorial day
emax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:55 AM   #8
DTJ9610

DEW,

I've attached 2 photos of where the dealer remounted my Battery box to enable the Reese Dual Cam to work. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Laredo Battery 1.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Laredo Battery 2.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	398  

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
Handysam

That looks good to me, our TT was the same way with the battery mounted in the same spot. The dealer however, sounds a little "wacked" IMO. Make sure they do what you ask and then some for your troubles. You might also contact Keystone and let them know of your troubles for future designing on the battery issues. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 05-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
DEW

DTJ9610
Thanks for the pictures. That is what I assumed you did, and this confirms it.
If I do not like how the sway is I will go back to the dealership and have them do this for me...
Reese HP Dual Cam
Old 05-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
DEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handysam View Post
That looks good to me, our TT was the same way with the battery mounted in the same spot. The dealer however, sounds a little "wacked" IMO. Make sure they do what you ask and then some for your troubles. You might also contact Keystone and let them know of your troubles for future designing on the battery issues. Happy Camping, Sam

Good point Sam. I might just do that....
Reese HP Dual Cam