Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
skidooxman

Cover and tubes.

I had my fifth wheel toy hauler covered for about a month, I want to remove the cover to take it to the dealer I noticed the roof is wet. I thought the cover was waterproof therefore not allowing any water to sit on the roof. My question is has anyone put rubber air tubes on the roof of the trailer under the cover to add a slight pitch so the water will run off? Basically like the tubes you would use in the pool.

Sent by my German Shepherd
Old 12-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm reminded of how jelly worms "melt" when stored in older tackle boxes. Sure wouldn't want that to happen on your roof if there might be some kind of "chemical reaction" between those plastic tubes and the TPO/EPDM membrane !!! You're correct in thinking that the cover is "supposed to be waterproof". So, if you've got water collecting on the roof, it's probably either a damaged or defective cover. Water leaking through the cover and being "held against the roof membrane" is a sure-fire way to set up mold/mildew in the "shadowy places"....

I wouldn't want to even consider the hassles involved in trying to get "air filled tubes" to stay in place while stretching a "cover that leaks" over them. Not to mention how to keep them from shifting every time the wind blows and the cover billows. Even if you do get it all put together, wouldn't the water collect "between the tubes" and make just as much of a problem?

If I were you, I'd look for the reason water permeated the cover, not search for "band-aids" to try to stop it from happening again.

Best of luck !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooxman View Post
I had my fifth wheel toy hauler covered for about a month, I want to remove the cover to take it to the dealer I noticed the roof is wet. I thought the cover was waterproof therefore not allowing any water to sit on the roof. My question is has anyone put rubber air tubes on the roof of the trailer under the cover to add a slight pitch so the water will run off? Basically like the tubes you would use in the pool.

Sent by my German Shepherd
If your cover is ADCO or something similar, it is advertised as being "water resistant and breathable" - not waterproof. Even with a slight pitch to the cover, water will eventually penetrate the cover and sit on the roof.

Over time, through exposure to the elements and UV, the cover will become less and less "water resistant" so there isn't much you can do with an ADCO-type cover that will keep your roof dry.

A Sunbrela cover will offer better protection but it is considerably more expensive and it may or may not be totally waterproof.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #4
Laredo291OH

Are you sure it isn't condensation?
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:31 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I would think about condensation first.

Sunbrella is a good product but somewhat expensive. It will last about 5 years. You can get products from marine dealers that you can spray on it and rejuvenate the water repellancy. I've used them on boats for years and they are good but they do have a limited life expectancy like anything else sitting in the sun day in and day out.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:52 PM   #6
spicercars

Condensation
Old 12-22-2015, 07:13 AM   #7
tdawg

Sounds like a cover can cause more problems and they are pricey. I have not covered our Alpine it survives Iowa winters setting in our driveway.
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote