Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
svanarts

New guy asks How do you like your Cougar?

Hello,
I'm a RV dreamer at the moment. I've been researching all kinds of 5th wheels for the past several months. This is my selection criteria:
- As close to 35 feet as possible. Smaller if possible.
- As close to a luxury layout as I can find to the Montana, we don't want it to look like a camper, needs to look like a home.
- Room for a washer/dryer combo unit.
- As much basement space as we can find
- As much cargo capacity as we can find.

I've been dreaming big, big coaches and big trucks, but my wife is urging me to be cautious with my dreams and our money. So I've decided to take a closer look at the Cougar line. For Cougar owners:
What do you like about it?
What do you not like about it?
Is it suitable for full-timing?
And give my above criteria, which model (even if it's not a Cougar) would you recommend and why?
svanarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #2
Desert185

We really like our Cougar 326SRX (toy hauler). No problems at all.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:51 PM   #3
hankaye

svanarts, Howdy;

Welcome to the wundermuss world of RVing...
I have a 2008 that I bought in 2011. Have been fulltiming
in it ever since along with my trusty companion Rascal.
This one (see signature), has the rear Kitchen on the curb
side. That way I can use it while "On the Road" (except for
the Microwave), couch and Dinette are in the slide portion
and that's Ok, should I need to nap I can still get to the bed.
Overall length is 30'. That's from bumper to front tip of the pinbox.
No washer & dryer, laundromats need love too. This has
been through Central Utah Winters and Southern New Mexico
Summers. Had some skirting made for it (rubberized nylon).
Learn your systems and how they work, and how to fix them.
Nothing lasts as long as the engineers say they will.
Welcome to the forum, Welcome to the maddness.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:50 AM   #4
rabreen

I love our Cougar 327RES. I have not measured it, but book length is 32 feet. Slides on both sides make for a ton of room in the living area. I wish it had a full size shower instead of the neo angle one. I understand the newer ones do have the full size shower (2015 or newer, mine is a 2014).

There is room and hookup for a washer and dryer. It is in the front closet area. The basement space has quite a bit of room. I can put my full size direcTV dish in there without disassembling it.

I feel we got a good quality nicely laid out unit for the dollars. No major problems since we picked it up.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
rabreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:19 AM   #5
Rex1vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by svanarts View Post
Hello,
So I've decided to take a closer look at the Cougar line.
What do you like about it?
What do you not like about it?
Is it suitable for full-timing?
recommend and why?
Click on the forum "Community" menu item and go to all Cougar postings,remember we all seem to post complaints and issues rather than the positive but at least you will get an education of sorts.We have a 2014 327RES fifth wheel,had some pain out of the shoot but enjoying it now.When you visit your dealer try to focus on the form and function as much as the glitter.
Rex1vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:29 AM   #6
glenalt

I have a 2010 318SAB, 3 slides. We love it. I stayed in last winter in Charlotte with no problems but I did winterize it when I was gone for a few days. I can use the kitchen, bath and bedroom with the slides in. Nice for short stops for refreshments and a bath break.
glenalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:37 PM   #7
svanarts

Well checking a little more I ran across the Montana High Country brand. I really like the 293RK model. It's not much heavier than the Cougar line. Seems to be a nice rig and I like the way it's laid out.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:47 AM   #8
therink

I don't own a Cougar but do have a Sydney fifth wheel (very similar). If you want to go full time or what lots of basement storage and more home like interior, I recommend taking a look at fifth wheel models that have what is called a drop frame design. This is where the frame is usually 12" and drops down under the basement area. This provides a larger basement and better headroom in the upper level, and the heavier frames make them more durable. Also known as a full profile fifth. Many cougar models and my Sydney have 10" straight frames. Most Montanas have 12" drop frames. Keep in mind that the full profile units are much heavier and more expensive.
My next unit will definitely have the drop frame feature.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:21 AM   #9
Bar-OneRanch

X2 on the drop frame for the storage. We had just missed out on a Cougar, and ended up with a Laredo, the Cougars seem to have small basement storage. I hadn't really paid much attention to this until I saw how large the storage area was on the Laredo, just something to consider if you have as much junk as we do.
Chris
2003 Flagstaff 25LB,1993 Terry 35V
1982 Serro Scotty 18',1976 Dutchcraft 25'
1972 Banner 18'
Bar-OneRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:30 AM   #10
Javi

We love our 333MKS.. although a larger basement would be nice it wasn't worth the extra money to us.. The floor plan and large bath is what sold us on the 333MKS Cougar..
Old 06-20-2015, 07:26 AM   #11
Barbell

A few points about the Montana HC. We looked at these pretty hard before we purchased something else. Take a look at the inside just after delivery to the dealer and before it is cleaned up. We saw two like this and both had lots of trim pieces loose and some even on the floor. Maybe the delivery driver was in a big hurry and took some rough back roads. Look at how the slide floor matches with the floor that doesn't move; you will see an offset of an inch or more and IMO, a tripping hazard. In the 293 specifically, look at how you get into the bath from the bedroom. You have to go past the bathroom door and down steps to open and then come back. If you are like us old folks, you may need to make that trip in the dark. Too easy to fall down steps. The HCs we looked at were in California and Colorado; a long trip from the factory, but we planned to travel with it so it needs to hold up to long trips and the ones we looked at did not meet that test.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #12
svanarts

Thanks all. Some very good things to consider. And thanks for that intel on the Montana HC. Something I'll certainly check out when I finally get to walk through one.

The reason I want big basement storage is that I will be lugging along a powered paraglider and it's associated quad (think go-cart). I can break it down to where it will almost fit in two suitcases but the bigger the basement, the less I have to break it down. But it's not a deal-killer. I think I could also mount it to a platform that attaches to the receiver hitch on the back of the trailer. Assuming the Cougars have one.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:22 PM   #13
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by svanarts View Post
Thanks all. Some very good things to consider. And thanks for that intel on the Montana HC. Something I'll certainly check out when I finally get to walk through one.

The reason I want big basement storage is that I will be lugging along a powered paraglider and it's associated quad (think go-cart). I can break it down to where it will almost fit in two suitcases but the bigger the basement, the less I have to break it down. But it's not a deal-killer. I think I could also mount it to a platform that attaches to the receiver hitch on the back of the trailer. Assuming the Cougars have one.
Some thoughts...

Maybe consider a smaller toyhauler like the Cougar 325 or 326 SRX with 10' garage? Storage won't be an issue and you won't have to disassemble so much. Also, everything would also be inside if you had to work on it during inclement weather.

Mounting to the bumper may not be a viable option weight-wise. Depending on the weight of the paraglider, packing it in the forward basement might add too much to your pin weight.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:32 PM   #14
svanarts

Oh trust me... I've cast longing glances at the toy haulers. My wife just says "have fun, don't be a stranger". She won't live in a garage, as she calls it. But that would be great! Nothing to disassemble and I could actually use that as an office as well.

I don't know that weight would be too much of a consideration. The engine weighs about 50 lbs. Add another 50 lbs or so for the frame and wheels. I would probably only trans port the bulky part of the frame on the platform on the hitch in back. The engine and prop would ride in the basement. At least, that's what I'm thinking at the moment. If I or anyone else comes up with a brilliant idea, I'm going with that. :-)
Old 06-20-2015, 03:24 PM   #15
Desert185

The SRX's have a wall separating the living area from the garage. The wifey can avoid the garage...until she finds something at an antique store she might to bring home.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #16
svanarts

D'oh! Not in my man cave!
Old 06-20-2015, 03:32 PM   #17
Desert185

Cooperate, graduate. LOL
Old 06-20-2015, 03:42 PM   #18
jerseyphil

318sab

I have a 2011 Cougar 318SAB.
The layout is excellent. I love the separate bedroom with a door separating it from the rest of the RV. And the full bathroom, with a door separating it as well.

Mine has been perfect. I had to replace one minor item, which was my own fault. The toilet flusher valve cracked because I didn't blow out the water line there for the winter. I blew out all the other lines, but forgot about that.

Purchased my unit in October, 2010. All systems are running perfectly. I am super happy with my Fifth Wheel.
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:11 PM   #19
Cougar1957

We have a 2015 Cougar XLite High Country 28SGS. It is 31 feet long, which is a great size to get into State Parks and tow around the country. We looked at fifth wheels for years before trading the old faithful travel trailer in on one. We kept coming back to Cougar and feel it is the best overall bang for your buck in the mid-range category. Has a higher end feel to it than its competitors. The interior materials and cabinetry seem higher end. Love the frame-less windows, and the amount of window square footage if that's the right term. Excellent floor plans with one anyone is sure to love. I like that it has a welded aluminum frame. Huge garage with three door access. And probably my favorites, the auto-leveling system and the remote control operated awning.

What I don't like is having to remove a ginormous basement panel to access the water heater by-pass...I don't know what they were thinking on that one.
Cougar1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:33 AM   #20
Pmedic4

Cougar thoughts

We love our 2012 Cougar 29RLS - It's nice enough to be comfortable, and inexpensive enough to be affordable for part-timers like us. Ours isn't a big unit, in fact we bought it because is was one of the lighter models available. Like many people, I've had bad towing experiences and didn't want to push that limit and make towing a white knuckle adventure. While we're usually a less than 200 mile trip campers, did the UP in Michigan last year and the 600 miles one way was a nice trip. Thinking longer trip next year.

We started out poorly when we got this unit, but that was because we didn't do a good pre-inspection and test. Since then, have only had one minor water pump issue, which I corrected and also did some water pump quieting tricks at the time.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote