Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #1
Ittle Dew Too

28 RBS Forward Pass Through Question

Would anyone happen to know if the aluminum square tube support structure of the front pass through of a 2015 28rbs is hollow or if Keystone uses it as a conduit for something.

I want to do a mod to hold my hitch spring bars in PVC conduit and mount it to the square tube support structure but don't want to drill self tapping bolts into it without at least asking.

I would think they are hollow but using it as a conduit makes sense too.

Thanks for any help.
Ittle Dew Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

As a rule, the square tubing is just framework. Wiring that is run along the framework is usually held in place with p clamps, and not run through the tubing. That would require some sort of anti chafing at the holes, and when you think about the cost in parts and labor it doesn't make sense.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:43 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The awning wiring on my Cougar fifth wheel runs into the trailer just above the steps to the upstairs. I wanted to run wiring for LED awning lights through the same space and found that the awning wiring is inside the 2x2 aluminum tubing. I had to remove the side clearance light and drill a 1/2' hole into the side of the tubing so I could run the LED light wire under the steps. So, your concern is valid. Whether or not there is any wiring in the specific tubing you're considering I can't say, but yes, some wiring is run through some of the sidewall tubing, I couldn't say about any other.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:48 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The awning wiring on my Cougar fifth wheel runs into the trailer just above the steps to the upstairs. I wanted to run wiring for LED awning lights through the same space and found that the awning wiring is inside the 2x2 aluminum tubing.
Glad I said "as a rule".

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:13 AM   #5
Ittle Dew Too

Thank you both, I'll do some scouting and see if I can see any evidence that they might have used it or not. Since I do have the wiring for the battery cut off and power stabilizers run on the outside of that tubing, my hopes are that I won't have any surprises on the other side ( pasanger side ) of the camper.

Again, thank you for your replies,
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to drill I go!
Ittle Dew Too is offline   Reply With Quote