Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #1
Agro

Adding bumper cargo mount to 238ML

I would love to be able to leave my generator mounted to the rear bumper on my 2014 Passport 238ML. It is 190lbs dry, so there is the weight of the hitch, the generator and some gas.

There is no hitch on the rear bumper of the 238ML UltraLight, but it does have the steel frame and that big huge steel bumper. I am towing with my 2015 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost with MaxTow so this trailer is technically really light for my truck. I also have a WD hitch. I know adding rear weight can lighten the front, but I have no issues adding lots of weight in the front I always travel too with full fresh water, vs stopping for water.

http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/06/28/rv...-cargo-carrier
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper-mount-cargo-carrier-installed-1.JPG
Views:	1059
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	7934   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike-rack-custom-mount-11.jpg
Views:	4395
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	7935   Click image for larger version

Name:	geardeck_17_cargo_carrier_generator_rv_far_11.jpg
Views:	1044
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	7936  
Agro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #2
GaryWT

If you attaching to the bumper itself, someone might find a slightly damaged generator along the highway. If you are attaching to the framework then it will most likely be good other than possible added sway.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #3
BirchyBoy

Take a look at that "big huge steel bumper". It's only a facade, meaning it is about 1/8" thick at most and is just decorative. Someone on here posted a picture of mounting a hitch to the back. They basically built a frame that bolted to bathroom floor if I recall correctly.

I wish my 238ML had a hitch, but I'm not ready/willing to start drilling holes in it.

Edit: I crawled the length of mine underneath it while running my backup camera cable. The joists that run side to side aren't substantial. I wouldn't put any pressure on them that caused them to flex.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Take a look at that "big huge steel bumper". It's only a facade, meaning it is about 1/8" thick at most and is just decorative. Someone on here posted a picture of mounting a hitch to the back. They basically built a frame that bolted to bathroom floor if I recall correctly.

I wish my 238ML had a hitch, but I'm not ready/willing to start drilling holes in it.

Edit: I crawled the length of mine underneath it while running my backup camera cable. The joists that run side to side aren't substantial. I wouldn't put any pressure on them that caused them to flex.
Is there anything underneath there that if a weld shop did the work that you feel ok about adding things that would apply pressure?

The 238 isn't the same thing but its fairly similar. I wouldn't be surprised if it was built on the same chassis.

The only reason I ask is i'm trying to figure out this bike rack thing...
Old 03-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #5
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
Is there anything underneath there that if a weld shop did the work that you feel ok about adding things that would apply pressure?

The 238 isn't the same thing but its fairly similar. I wouldn't be surprised if it was built on the same chassis.

The only reason I ask is i'm trying to figure out this bike rack thing...
I don't recall seeing anything under there that I would think could be welded too. I guess if push came to shove, a shop could run heavier pieces of metal between the two outside frame rails and use that as a basis for the frame.

How many bikes? Some people have attached fork mounts to the dining room table benches and put the bikes in there when traveling. Not the most convenient solution, but it keeps them from making major modifications to the frame. This is likely what I will do, or I may put them on a roof rack on my SUV.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 03-04-2015, 06:48 AM   #6
jkohler70

If you look closely at the first and third picture you posted, you will notice that neither of these is actually using the bumper to support the weight. A receiver is clearly visible that is likely welded to the frame. The bumper may be providing some vertical support in the first picture, but not any substantial weight.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:03 PM   #7
Tbos

I've seen bike racks that mount on the trailer fork. It puts the bikes over the propane tanks. Mine are going in the back of my truck.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:18 AM   #8
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
I don't recall seeing anything under there that I would think could be welded too. I guess if push came to shove, a shop could run heavier pieces of metal between the two outside frame rails and use that as a basis for the frame.

How many bikes? Some people have attached fork mounts to the dining room table benches and put the bikes in there when traveling. Not the most convenient solution, but it keeps them from making major modifications to the frame. This is likely what I will do, or I may put them on a roof rack on my SUV.
We are looking at a minimum of 2, maximum of 4. All mountain bikes to some extent, some lighter than others. Tahoe or not, I probably couldn't put them in the back of the truck, nor can I see a roof rack being an option (seems too tall and way inconvenient).

My issue when inside is that there just isn't that much space when the slide is in. Even if I removed the table and found someway to fit the bikes in that space, I thought it was recommended not to have any significant amount of weight on the slide when not out? (honestly, I don't think 4 bikes would fit in there well anyways).
Old 03-05-2015, 08:45 AM   #9
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
We are looking at a minimum of 2, maximum of 4. All mountain bikes to some extent, some lighter than others. Tahoe or not, I probably couldn't put them in the back of the truck, nor can I see a roof rack being an option (seems too tall and way inconvenient).

My issue when inside is that there just isn't that much space when the slide is in. Even if I removed the table and found someway to fit the bikes in that space, I thought it was recommended not to have any significant amount of weight on the slide when not out? (honestly, I don't think 4 bikes would fit in there well anyways).
Oh, didn't know you had a slide. I was referencing tables like mine that are in a fixed position. Sorry.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 03-05-2015, 03:49 PM   #10
Tbos

Not sure what your TV is but if you visit a bike shop they can hook you up with a roof rack that can easily carry 4 mountain bikes. With either the front wheels on or off. Have fun and enjoy the ride, whatever you decide.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote