Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
coop

Condensation

We had our first late season camping trip in our Cougar 21RBS, took the grand daughters along, had a great time, although it was cold outside for the entire weekend. I noticed something though and wondered if anyone else has seen this and if they had a solution. We had to run the furnace for the whole trip and we found condensation in a couple of places. The end of the mattress was damp where it was against the wall, we pulled it away from the wall and that seemed to help. The other was on the floor at the base of the cabinet and sink there was a bead of water. First thing I did was check the pipes for leaks, but all was dry. Inside the cabinet was considerably colder than the rest of the TT.
I thought about adding insulation under the sink and behind the cabinet, but thought I would try to get other idea's.
coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
ktmracer

our solution in the winter is to run a portable dehumidifier. If not, keep some vents open, make SURE the ceiling vent/fan is on when showering.

Our portable dehumidifier will usually draw out about 6 gallons the first day. Need to empty it before bedtime, and will be full again in the morning. Then it will usually run 24 hours before filling up again. (3 gallons)

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
hankaye

coop, Howdy;

As a fulltimer I have an ongoing battle with humidity.
How I attempt to stay ahead of the drips is I leave the
o/h vents cracked 1/4 to 1/2 inch, I keep all my cabinet's
doors cracked open to balance the temps. through the entire
RV, I also keep my thermostat set for about 68*F. I'm lucky that
where I live the average humidity is below 30% usually closer to
10% or less. The only living beings in here are myself and my pooch.
So far so good...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
yeabuddy

x3 on keeping vents and windows cracked. We also bought one of these to help dry the air out.http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...c-heater/27289
Old 10-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
coop

I appreciate the imput, sounds like the best soluting is keeping the TT ventelated and trying to keep the temp even through-out the camper. I wonder if there would be an advantage to putting vents in the cabnets and closets. Just a thought.

Thanks
coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

I think you will gain more advantage by leaving the cupboard and closet doors open slightly so to allow any "warmer" air to find its way into the interior of those compartments. Cutting out vent holes and installing vents is a major undertaking and really not necessary IMHO.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
Justvisiting2day

Condensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop View Post
I appreciate the imput, sounds like the best soluting is keeping the TT ventelated and trying to keep the temp even through-out the camper. I wonder if there would be an advantage to putting vents in the cabnets and closets. Just a thought.

Thanks
Hey coop, I have installed 2" vents, from under the pump areas up to the clothes racks and installed vents through out . Also keeping the doors open as much as possible is a great help. In the cold time , we store close to the house so we have a small elect heater that keeps the temps good and dry. And we keep the bath fan running to circulate the air.
Dryness is good.

Cheers
Justvisiting2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
leoniepetersen

Hello. I am really interested in whether your dehumidifier is able to run without power? We live in New Zealand and travel throughout all seasons and freedom camp most of the time. Some climates are very humid others drier even in winter however have had copious amounts of moisture especially in cupboards/wardrobes. we have tried all the other fixes like vents open doors/cupboards open to air. we even get condensation on the walls at night. Although insulated, it seems to start where the aluminium frame supports the trailer, then runs down the walls. I don't use the stove top for boiling and we always have fan on in the shower room. Towels are dried outside etc. Hopefully your dehumidifier might work.
leoniepetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Any portable dehumidifier that I have seen all require 110VAC. Haier and Eva-Dry (EDV-2200) are two products which our members have reported using with success.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Any portable dehumidifier that I have seen all require 110VAC. Haier and Eva-Dry (EDV-2200) are two products which our members have reported using with success.
there are some 12v dehumidifiers, but IMHO not worth the effort. they are rated at maybe a pint in 24hrs, while the 120V units will dump out 32pints in 8 hours. and that's what you need.

But the 120V units draw about 1A (120VA) so not too useable w/o 120V power.

BTW we hav a haier and it is fantastic at keeping the humdity under control in the winter at the oregon coast.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
jje1960

Worst Humidity Experienced

With our previous TT (27QBSS R-Vision) I remember a Nascar Martinsville weekend.... We ran the furnace constant, went down to like 19deg (rain froze on the awning.. sheet of ice) pretty miserable... The windows of the unit had so much moisture, it was pooling at the bottoms. Used a dish towel to remove, just could not believe the amount of condensation! Still had awesome time though!
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:17 AM   #12
PT RV`er

I`ve been experimenting with different ideas trying to draw the moisture out of my rig and I think I finally have good results. So I thought I would post it here for others to try.
I started out with 2 Damp-Rid tubs or similar product to try and draw the moisture out, but by themselves didn`t really do much. Then I read the other thread about condensation and ronberry suggested another product to draw the moisture out of the air. So I ordered an Air Drier 1000, installed it in my rig according to the instructions ( plug it in and place on floor) and I gotta tell ya, what difference. With the 2 Damp-Rid tubs, one in the back bedroom and one in the main room along with the Air Drier 1000, after 3 days, I had a 1/4 cup of water in each tub. And it even feels much drier inside.
So if anybody has a problem with moisture inside, try this out. I`m impressed so far with my results. Here is the link to the product the ronberry suggested.
I forgot to mention, all this took place while it was sitting on my property no being used. Basically while stored.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ryr-1000/55948

PT RV`er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:30 AM   #13
Murphsmom

I loved the NZ term "freedom camping".
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote