Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2014, 11:56 AM   #21
therink

We camp about 40 nights/yr. Just with rv payment, insurance and maintenance alone, that equals $159 night. I hate thinking of this but it is still worth the experience and memories.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #22
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
We camp about 40 nights/yr. Just with rv payment, insurance and maintenance alone, that equals $159 night. I hate thinking of this but it is still worth the experience and memories.
There is no "justifying" an RV purchase.

Just like there is no justifying a boat, an ATV, a car nicer than an econobox point A to point B machine, eating out, cable/sat TV, having more than 1 pair of shoes, etc, etc.

Anything above basic food/shelter/clothing can't be justified. However they can be creatively rationalized.

It's all just a matter of priorities. RVing fits in there somehow.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #23
Western Traveler

Ouch, I almost replied to the hijack. It was very philosophical though.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
It is well worth the memories!!!

In our situation, it was $42,000 for a new truck, $28,000 for a new trailer, that's $70,000. Camped in it 62 nights in 2013, so that's about $1,130 per night so far. Hoping to get at least 120 nights in 2014, so the per night cost will go down to about $348 per night. Still worth it since in 2015 the per night cost will go down even more. I figure when we get that cost down to about $6 a night if the trailer isn't worn "slap out", we'll "break even", till then, what's more important? After all, that's only 11,666 nights total.... Or for easier computing, 31 years of sleeping in it to get to $6 a night....

Money or memories? Between the toys and the travels, the only other thing to be spending money on is kid's inheritance. My plan is to make sure there's enough left to bury us, the kids can split the pictures.... Otherwise, let the good times rollllllllll

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:06 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
Considering selling the skis. Pontoon/tritoon in our future. First grand kid due this summer. Skis don't don't work so well for "family friendly" weekend trips. Bad part is I doubt I could fit it in my shop where the skis currently park. Would have to park outside (in the elements) or figure something else out.
How about another "LEEN-TEAUX" on the side of that green and white thing in your back yard?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #26
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
How about another "LEEN-TEAUX" on the side of that green and white thing in your back yard?????
The side you speak of, would be the not-visible when viewed from the house. Not sure id like that much.

Might consider carport type thing in back of yard - straight back from house and clearly visible.

It's only money right???
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:59 PM   #27
EcoBullet

Quote:

I was about to apologize for getting this thread about the new roof material on Premiers off topic, and then I see the moderator discussing "LEEN-TEAUX". I don't feel so bad now.
EcoBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #28
EcoBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
Considering selling the skis. Pontoon/tritoon in our future. First grand kid due this summer. Skis don't don't work so well for "family friendly" weekend trips. Bad part is I doubt I could fit it in my shop where the skis currently park. Would have to park outside (in the elements) or figure something else out.
We got rid of our SeaDoos about 7 years ago and got a 17' Glastron. I miss the 'Doos, but it does work better with the little ones around.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

EcoBullet,

You are correct. JRTJH needs to not get distracted so easily. It's time to get this thread back on track. The focus should be the roofing material on Premier travel trailers.....

I will notify him of his "distractions" and urge him to refrain from further off topic posts.... Wish me luck in getting his attention <sigh>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #30
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
EcoBullet,

You are correct. JRTJH needs to not get distracted so easily. It's time to get this thread back on track. The focus should be the roofing material on Premier travel trailers.....

I will notify him of his "distractions" and urge him to refrain from further off topic posts.... Wish me luck in getting his attention <sigh>
I am sorry to say .. There is only one way to get his attention.

Now , back to the OP's concern. EPDM has been around for a long time, perhaps this new roofing will be an improvement. If it were mine I would want to know exactly what maintenance is required and what sealants to use or avoid. It sure would be nice not to have black streaks anymore. JM2¢, Hank ............................... John ..... Go to your room! ... It has been a long winter.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #31
hankpage
Site Team

There was another thread where a Fuzion did not have an EPDM roof. I checked the exterior features on the Keystone website for Fuzion and Premier there is no mention of roofing material. Cougar, on the other hand still says one piece rubber roof. I did not check any other models. I am wondering if all models will change roofing eventually.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #32
BirchyBoy

I looked at the roof of my Passport Express this weekend but can't tell you what the material was. My only takeaways were "it looks complete, no rips" and "how the heck am I going to install a vent cover on the dead center vent". The tech did tell me that I could fix any tears with roll-on rubber sealer, no silicone. He may not know about some of the roofs changing material, though.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:26 AM   #33
Charby

Will the Dicor sealant adhere to the Alpha roof the same as the rubber roof, or do you need something different?
Old 02-26-2014, 06:11 AM   #34
chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charby View Post
Will the Dicor sealant adhere to the Alpha roof the same as the rubber roof, or do you need something different?
I sent out an e-mail to a person in Customer Service that was helpful in the past, but I have not heard back from him. He may no longer be there or perhaps he's in a different department now. Either way this is a great question and one that i would certainly like to know the answer to.

-Pat

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:33 AM   #35
chartrand

So I did some looking around on the Alph-Ply web site, and found exactly what I was looking for in there product care link: http://www.alphasystemsinc.com/ProductCare

To answer a few basic questions:
Periodic cleaning (three to four times per year) is the primary maintenance required. Alpha Systems recommends using a non-abrasive household cleaner, such as Top Job or Spic-N-Span, and a medium-bristled scrub brush. Do not use any harsh or highly-abrasive products during cleaning. When finished cleaning, remember to thoroughly rinse the roof and sidewalls in order to remove any soap residue and to prevent streaking.

During routine cleaning (3-4 times a year), all caulk and sealants should be inspected for voids or cracking. If the caulk is cracking, pull up any loose caulk. Do not use any tools, such as a putty knife, that could puncture the rubber roof membrane. If you cannot pull the caulk off by hand, it is still adhered to the roof and should be left alone.
Clean the areas to be re-sealed using regular soap and water. The area must be dry before continuing.
Apply a generous amount of Alpha Systems 1010 Sealant over the top of any existing caulk in the area being re-sealed.
To order products now, call 800-462-4698. Please allow 3-5 business days before product ships from our facility. Shipping charges will be added to your order.

There are other documents with additional instructions as well.

Enjoy,
Pat

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:52 AM   #36
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charby View Post
If you visit the Alpha roof website (www.alphasystemsinc.com), they have a FAQ and Product link which describes what kind of sealants they recommend to be used.

From what I was able to determine from their site, the Alpha roof, while not EPDM, is still a "rubber" roof. They do have their own products for roof repair, and maintenance.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #37
EcoBullet

Thanks chartrand and Festus2!