Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
AnnaK

Entry door grab handle

We have a Passport GT 2300BH. As with many other models there's the folding grab handle by the front door, very convenient.

I got to wondering, what if someone were to fold that handle over the door while we're inside the trailer? We would be locked in and would have to use the window emergency exits to get out. Not sure we fit

Why somebody would do such a thing I don't know and I'm likely worrying for nothing, but still . . .

Is there a way to lock the grab handle in the "out" position?

This trailer is new to us; in fact, we have a maiden voyage planned for next weekend. We are deep in the learning phase.
AnnaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaK View Post
We have a Passport GT 2300BH. As with many other models there's the folding grab handle by the front door, very convenient.

I got to wondering, what if someone were to fold that handle over the door while we're inside the trailer? We would be locked in and would have to use the window emergency exits to get out. Not sure we fit

Why somebody would do such a thing I don't know and I'm likely worrying for nothing, but still . . .

This trailer is new to us; in fact, we have a maiden voyage planned for next weekend. We are deep in the learning phase.
Don't Worry Be happy.

I maybe wrong but every 5th wheel and travel trail that I have ever seen has this handle. I have never seen anyone ever ever locked into the trailer with this handle being closed over the door.

You always have your phone to call the campground management if needed or you could use the emergency window to get out if needed. But again as I said I have never seen this handle closed on someone’s trailer with them in it.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
f6bits

That same thought has crossed my mind, but I've also never heard of that happening.

When towing, I do fold it over the door since I don't tow with the deadbolt engaged (some users report the deadbolt getting jammed during towing).

If I wanted to discourage someone from folding it shut with me inside, I'd loop a fat zip tie over the handle at the mounting block so the handle couldn't be lifted for folding. The zip tie might slip off the bottom, in which case I'd screw in a little peg underneath.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
hankaye

AnnaK, Howdy;

If you are that concerned about it, drill a hole in the top of the
mounting block and install a 'Stop Bolt' that is taller than the
grab handle can be raised to prevent the problem.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
halfprice

I was concerned about this also. I camp with lots of "FRIENDS" who like to play jokes.

What I found is that the door opens even if the bar has been closed on the door. The handle locks into place when open but move fairly easy when closed.

Give it a try and see if it will open.

On my trailer I have a window right next to the door. So I can also open the window and move the bar if needed.

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
AnnaK

I appreciate your input, thank you for the suggestions.

We put a screw into the top mounting block which now prevents the handle from being folded over the door. It can be folded to the left, against the trailer while traveling.

I know this might seem like a dumb thing to worry about. I'm deaf and would not hear if anyone moved that handle. I might feel the vibration, I might not. It's possible I could find myself locked into my trailer without much recourse as I can't use the phone to call the manager. Maybe that's why I look at my environment differently, always with an eye on possible problems.

I did try to open the door with the handle folded over it and I couldn't do it. That handle needs to be lifted up just a little before it'll move and I can't reach it from the kitchen window.

Anyway, the set screw is a workable solution and again, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
AnnaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
f6bits

I just tested mine. No, mine won't budge if it's folded over the door.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:24 AM   #8
tundraman67

Grab Handle

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to try the emergency windows - you can call it a family emergency evac drill and talk one of the kids (if you have any)into jumping out one of the windows.
tundraman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:05 AM   #9
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaK View Post

After reading your post I went out and checked mine and found that if the handle is folded against the door that you can't open it. I did notice that the folding grip handle set up is made of thin plastic so (haven forbid) if the handle was against the door and you had to exit in a emergency that you could easily push hard against the door and break the plastic handle but that would be a costly prank.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #10
hankaye

Lost, Howdy;

Most 'pranksters' don't care or don't consider the cost of
repair or the conquences of their stupidity.... ain't commin'
outta their pocket.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #11
Greysquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
That same thought has crossed my mind, but I've also never heard of that happening.

When towing, I do fold it over the door since I don't tow with the deadbolt engaged (some users report the deadbolt getting jammed during towing).

If I wanted to discourage someone from folding it shut with me inside, I'd loop a fat zip tie over the handle at the mounting block so the handle couldn't be lifted for folding. The zip tie might slip off the bottom, in which case I'd screw in a little peg underneath.
On my last trailer I had the deadbolt get stuck twice, the first time after I turned the key a few time it opened, then it happened about a month later, again after fooling with it for a while it opened. I used it because I do not trust the spring lock to hold without opening on a rough road. After the second time I opened the sliding escape window an inch so I could open it and get in if I had too, but I had the trailer another year and a half and it never happened again.
I am going to do what you do and not use the deadbolt and fold the handle over the door, I checked and the door will not open with it there.
Thanks for the tip, I was concerned about the deadbolt getting stuck and there is no way to open the escape hatch from the outside with the louver windows.
Greysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
curlyfungirl

Sounds like a stupid design. Ours folds flat towards the outside wall, not the door. The other way could be a setup for a major lawsuit me thinks....
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote