Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2013, 05:41 AM   #1
yaya

Keystone NRG hot water heater

New to the rv camping world. Bought a used RV, having trouble with the water getting hot. The unit was winterized when I bought it. I flushed everything out and I get clean water running through both hot and cold sides of the faucets. I turn the hot water heater on and it lights, but will not stay on long enough to heat the water. I have a suburban gas and electric heater. I cant tell if there is water in the hot water heater because when I open the pressure relief valve no water come out of it. Does anyone have any suggestions for me???
yaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

If no water comes out of the pressure relief valve, then it's likely empty.

For winterization, the water heater is drained and the bypassed with a set of valves. This prevents the need use an extra 6/10/12 gallons of RV antifreeze.

Trick is finding how the valves are setup on your unit. Maybe so doe with the same unit will chime in..

My valves are in a "water works" area accessible behind a basement door. Yours could be similar. Or behind an access panel. They will be near the heater.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

yaya, If your trailer was winterized the water heater was most likely bypassed and drained. If so when you turned on the electric heater the element would have burned out instantly. You will have to replace the element. (Cheaper at plumbing supply or Home store than RV dealer) On the back of the heater there will be a plastic valve that will direct water back into the heater with 1/4 turn. Do not open T&P valve after tank is full as it is designed to maintain an air pocket to compensate for expansion. Hope this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
yaya

I have read that the element will need replacing . Will do this once I can be sure that I have water in the water heater. I have turned the bypass valve to the horizontal position in line with the cold water inlet, when I do this I loose water pressure to my water pump, water will stop coming from the hot water side of the faucets. I have read that there could be a check valve problem.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
abneynormal

on the back

there is a bypass valve behind the water heater. on my 3912 it is accessible behind a louvered panel in the kitchen cabinets. take the 2 screws out remove the panel and open the valve. the moros at the dealer neglected to inform us of this when we got ours. if yours is different just note the water heater location on the outside and look for the corresponding cabinet location on the inside. note I hope running the electric element without water didn't damage it.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
yaya

Wink water heater

I have opened the bypass on the back of the water heater. Air came out of the pressure relief but no water. I may need to fill my tank back up to get the water heater filled with water and to prime the hot water lines. The toyhauler is in a storage and I can only work on it on the weekend. Once I get water going through the hot water heater I will replace the electric heating element. This has been such a challenge, but I am narrowing down my problems. Thanks for everyone's help. If there is anything else anyone can tell me I would really appreciate it.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
yaya

I now have water in the hot water heater

After several troubleshooting attempts, I found that after winterizing the system and you flush out the lines, you open the bypass valve. It takes time for the water to fill up the water heater and it could develop an air pocket. I opened the hot water valve that was closet to the pump and just left it on to get all the air out of the hot water tank and hot water lines, it took a few minutes but low and behold here came the water through the hot water side. I then went to the shower and kitchen sink and water there also. It just took some patience and asking for help. Im learning a lot about being an RVer. to everyone.