Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
openroad

Any thoughts on a 1500 CC towing Bullet 281bhs?

I am new to the forum and hope there is someone with an opinion on the combo I am considering at the moment. I have a 2011 Silverado CC Z71 4x4 w/5.3L and 6spd trans. HD tailer pkg., Off road suspension and GVW of 7000. I am currently towing a 26 ft. lite weight (4500 loaded)non-slide bunkhouse with no problems whatsoever. I am using the Equalizer hitch and Prodigy brake controller.
The new TT floorplan we are considering is the one in the subject line, 2012 Bullet 281bhs. It has a UVW of 5190 and Hitch Wt of 590 and GTWR of 7590. I don't see us carrying much more than 1000-1500 tops in cargo, so I don't think I will be using all of that GTWR. The concern is with the hitch wt. and the payload of the truck. Btw, I do love my truck and that is probably what makes me think it can do anything. Back in the real world however, numbers do count. So, here are a few more...the truck in base form has a curb wt. of around 5300 while mine is probably closer to 5750 as optioned. That leaves 1250 in payload. The Bullet tongue weight when loaded with battery, full propane, cargo in the passthrough and everywhere else ahead of the axles, and Equalizer hitch should come up to approx. 925. (w/o WD) If we estimate 25% of that gets distributed to the trailer axles, we are left with 693 tongue wt. on the truck. Add 400 lbs of passenger/driver and we are close to 1100 in payload. I don't carry wood or much cargo in the truck, but do I have to count the driver weight or tank of gas as payload? Am I pushing it with this combo or is there more margin somewhere I am not considering? Sorry for the long post and the relentless detail. The answer might be staring me right in the face, but would surely appreciate your thoughts. Thanks, Jim
openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:49 AM   #2
johnnyrose

It sounds like you are getting close to capacity on this combo. I think that you will probably be alright with this combo though. I did a lot of research on this before I bought my fifth wheel and this is what I came up with. Max out everything! Take the weight of the trailer and max it out to its GTWR. Take your truck and (I would go to a scale with you and the DW in it) and max it out. Put anything that you think you would throw in there on a trip and get it weighed. If you are like me you are grossly overestimating. Right now you are about 100-150 pounds under your payload rating and that should be plenty, especially with the robust tow package that you have. You are under on the towing capacity too which is great so in my opinion you should have no issue towing this rig with that truck. I have seen some others recommend towing only 80% of your towing capacity to make it a bit more of a pleasant experience. That is probably also sage advice. You definately don't want to go over because you then get into warranty and insurance issues if there is a problem on the road. Hope that helps, just my opinion.

Johnny and Kelley Rose + 4 kids and 2 dogs!
2005 Cougar 254 EFS (Whispering eye)
2005 Ford F-250 Lariat Supercab 6.0L Diesel
johnnyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Halibutman214

Without going in to detail... it's tooooo much. There was another thread recently with this very same thing. Check it out.
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
JimInMich

I have the same truck, except mine is the extended cab. I do fine with my setup, but I did upgrade the hitch to a curt Magnum class V ( 1400lb tongue max with WD, 14,000 tow weight ). My TT weighs out at 960# Tongue, 6740# Gross as loaded.

I also want to ad, my 09 Silverado hauled this same TT fine, but I was maxed out ( by manufactures recommendations ). What made the 2011 better was it had the HD cooling system, which upped its rated towing caps another 2,000lbs.
11 Chevy Silverado Ext.Cab Z-71 4x4, 5.3 v8, 3:43 w/locker, Factory tow package, Equal-I-zer 1200#, Curt Class V Receiver
12 Cougar XLite 27RLS ( 960# Tongue, 6740# Gross as loaded)
Just the Wife and I.
JimInMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
JimInMich

From the GM owners manual for the 2011 Silverado:

1500 Series 4WD Extended Cab Standard Box
5.3LV8 K5L HD Cooling Pkg (axle ratio )3.42, (max trailer weight ) 9,600 lbs, ( GCWR )15,000 lbs

You didnt list your axle ratio, so I can not copy/past your ratings.
11 Chevy Silverado Ext.Cab Z-71 4x4, 5.3 v8, 3:43 w/locker, Factory tow package, Equal-I-zer 1200#, Curt Class V Receiver
Just the Wife and I.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
JimInMich

here ya go:
Just the Wife and I.