Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
jje1960

First warranty issue

Has anyone else had this issue on the 325SRX.....

Both cabinet / wardrobe units at the head of the bed have the side panels pulling off, the staples have completely pulled out while towing. I would guess we are just over 5k/mi of towing so far, glad we used it so much this year and the issue has come out while under warranty.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
Handysam

Glad it happened under warranty also. I've got a running list of things, mostly minor. After next weekend it's in for the warranty work, and they better HURRY UP. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 09-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #3
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post

Both cabinet / wardrobe units at the head of the bed have the side panels pulling off, the staples have completely pulled out while towing. I would guess we are just over 5k/mi of towing so far, glad we used it so much this year and the issue has come out while under warranty.
Don't see any evidence of that on one on mine so far, but will keep a watch.

Just wondering, have you done any off-road travel (even short distances)? In my experience it's amazing how much an uneven road surface can twist even the stoutest frame on a heavy 5th wheel.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handysam View Post
Glad it happened under warranty also. I've got a running list of things, mostly minor. After next weekend it's in for the warranty work, and they better HURRY UP. Happy Camping, Sam
Not to highjack thread, BUT Handysam,
What kind of waranty work you needing to have done. I am checking mine over good this week. It will be one year old next week..So if I have to take it to dealer it has to go this weekend for the warranty to fix anything major before next weekend. Just asking to see if I have missed anything major.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
jje1960

Wardrobe separation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Don't see any evidence of that on one on mine so far, but will keep a watch.

Just wondering, have you done any off-road travel (even short distances)? In my experience it's amazing how much an uneven road surface can twist even the stoutest frame on a heavy 5th wheel.
Don't believe this is due to off-road, other than campground dirt roads we don't drive in the outback... believe it's just the interstate bumps that have done this.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
smiller

Here's another item for 325SRX owners to check...

We had the first heavy rain we've seen in Texas for some time so I spent some time looking for leaks. Found a good one that only shows up in heavy rain. When rain is hard enough to overwhelm the gutters and start to sheet down the side of the unit it can enter the refrigerator exterior access door and thouroughy wet the inside area. The water generally won't harm any of the components, but what it does do (or did on mine) is leak down through the wall and appear under the fridge in the heater blower compartment. If it leaks enough it will start to appear on the inside floor in front of the refrigerator.

What I did to address it is apply caulk inside the refrigerator compartment anywhere it looked like it could leak into the interior. I also had some stick-on guttering leftover from fixing the common ramp door leak so I appled some directly above the exterior refriferator access door to help direct water away. Now instead of having water pour in it won't leak unless I really innundate it, probably more than I would likely see in the real world even in a very heavy rain, so I hope I can consider it fixed.

Give it a try on your unit... wet the area above the access door with a hose similar to rain sheeting down the side of the unit for 5-10 minutes and then check under the refrigerator near/behind the heater unit (you'll have to remove the louvered cover under the fridge, just 4 screws.) Hopefully no leak, but forewarned is forearmed...
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
Handysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
Not to highjack thread, BUT Handysam,
What kind of waranty work you needing to have done. I am checking mine over good this week. It will be one year old next week..So if I have to take it to dealer it has to go this weekend for the warranty to fix anything major before next weekend. Just asking to see if I have missed anything major.
randy
Randy the biggest issue so far is the landing gear motor is leaking oil. The other is the Reese hitch is making the dreaded start and stopping clunks. Minor things like the closet door latches in the bedroom keep breaking (4) they need to be some other type of latch entirely IMO, bike rack seems a bit un-even, just noticed that this weekend, Frig locking latch broke, due to daughter in law not releasing the lock first before pulling it open, its the little grey piece, not keystones fault. Other than that I will be looking it over this weekend really good because my warranty is up mid October. Planning on a four day trip this weekend close by at our favorite place, weather is supposed to be great. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 09-22-2011, 04:45 AM   #8
Jimmie Fan

cabinet seperation

On our way home from the dealer we had the same issue with the cabinet side panel seperating. I had decided to repair it myself by glueing and stapeling the panel. No other issues so far but will keep an eye out.
Jimmie Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:28 AM   #9
jje1960

Landing gear oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handysam View Post
Randy the biggest issue so far is the landing gear motor is leaking oil.......
Ahhh, forgot about that one... My driver side landing gear also had oil running down the leg. What did you do about this problem?
Old 10-04-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
Maxzd

Quote:

Wow, me too just happened on last weekend trip. The staples they used were basiclly into air, there is not much to bite into. I have 6 warranty issues..

1) mattress. Cougar 2012s have a new type of bed, I can see why. Ours has completely lost firmness and has two imprints of where we both sleep. Barely 6 weeks of use problem..

2) my rims. The paint is completely peeling and bad. Day one had some small etching around lugs. I think it either is from factory or was hauled in winter road conditions to dealer. Delivered in November..

3) my stereo turns off and on randomly. Power button sticks.

4) paneling popped off staples not holding in bedroom.

5) fuse panel one of the non used fuses light comes on. Touch it goes out so it's a solder joint...

6) couch has a cushion that a seam is coming loose.

Less than 60 days on factory warranty getting then to do it all at the same time.. Oh, and I never had a build sheet sticker, was missing..

So once it's all approved which should be just have to call for an update I have one big project going to get rid of the stairs put 3 steps instead of 2. I have measured looked at other units at an RV show. Saw one that had drawers for risers starts past the wall and before the passage door.. I will make sure to document each detail of this project.. I might even tackle Building a kit as I have to make at least two. (one me one for the I laws unit) These cougar 5th wheel stair setup is just crazy..

Other big project just finished was fixed sat dish, Switchbox and complete related rewiring. Now a switch box controls all three tvs. I can put a DVD in the Jensen player and watch on any or all tvs. I will explain more in details shortly. 15+ hours plus a couple hours mapping it out!

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:59 AM   #11
Retired CSIGuy

Use a vertical support

If I'm understanding you, it might be from the clothes hanging rod bouncing as you travel. I was tipped right off the bat to put a vertical support in the center of the rod down to the floor. I used a 1" (or so) wood closet dowel. Cut it to length, put the round wood dowl end on the rod where it contacts the floor, then secured it to the metal rod up top...voila'!....no more bounce on the metal rod and the walls.
Retired CSIGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
jje1960

Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired CSIGuy View Post
If I'm understanding you, it might be from the clothes hanging rod bouncing as you travel. I was tipped right off the bat to put a vertical support in the center of the rod down to the floor. I used a 1" (or so) wood closet dowel. Cut it to length, put the round wood dowl end on the rod where it contacts the floor, then secured it to the metal rod up top...voila'!....no more bounce on the metal rod and the walls.
Actually, our panel separation happened without anything hanging. Needs some reinforcement just for normal towing. Will see what the dealer comes up with next month for repair.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #13
Handysam

Quote:
Ahhh, forgot about that one... My driver side landing gear also had oil running down the leg. What did you do about this problem?
Sorry, missed your post. I still have not dropped it off yet for the warranty work, too much camping to do. However Monday is the day,#%$@#. I REFUSE to give into the fact the camping season is coming to a end,$%#@#. Anyway, the leaking oil down the landing gear leg is what I believe to be a bad seal in the motor, and so far that"s the worst problem. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 10-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #14
jje1960

End of year

Well, we finally got the unit up to the dealer for their estimate. Had the awning damage from Bristol in August, the panel separation on warranty, and forgot to even mention to them the oil leaking down the driver side leg.... Anyway, after providing them with $600.00 special parts order payment... They ordered the necessary hardware for the electric awning parts. The bill is going to be like $850-somthing, still going to cost us $500.00 considering deductible with Geico. Beckley's at least agreed to do the work when I wait, have to take a day off work to get it up there (hr drive each way) and said they would take care of the panel separation in the same visit. Hopefully they can re-staple and use some kind of adhesive that will hold the panels properly. It's my fault that I forgot to mention the oil running down the leg, hopefully we can get that taken care of the same day as well, 1yr is running out, need to at least record that problem. We used the SRX plenty this year, am super happy with the unit and feel comfortable that any major issues would have 'come out' by now.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:33 AM   #15
dave-g

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Here's another item for 325SRX owners to check...

We had the first heavy rain we've seen in Texas for some time so I spent some time looking for leaks. Found a good one that only shows up in heavy rain. When rain is hard enough to overwhelm the gutters and start to sheet down the side of the unit it can enter the refrigerator exterior access door and thouroughy wet the inside area. The water generally won't harm any of the components, but what it does do (or did on mine) is leak down through the wall and appear under the fridge in the heater blower compartment. If it leaks enough it will start to appear on the inside floor in front of the refrigerator.

What I did to address it is apply caulk inside the refrigerator compartment anywhere it looked like it could leak into the interior. I also had some stick-on guttering leftover from fixing the common ramp door leak so I appled some directly above the exterior refriferator access door to help direct water away. Now instead of having water pour in it won't leak unless I really innundate it, probably more than I would likely see in the real world even in a very heavy rain, so I hope I can consider it fixed.

Give it a try on your unit... wet the area above the access door with a hose similar to rain sheeting down the side of the unit for 5-10 minutes and then check under the refrigerator near/behind the heater unit (you'll have to remove the louvered cover under the fridge, just 4 screws.) Hopefully no leak, but forewarned is forearmed...
I'm going to try this- I have had water on the floor twice and and could not figure out where it came from.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #16
jje1960

Repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxzd View Post
Wow, me too just happened on last weekend trip. The staples they used were basiclly into air, there is not much to bite into. I have 6 warranty issues..

1) mattress. Cougar 2012s have a new type of bed, I can see why. Ours has completely lost firmness and has two imprints of where we both sleep. Barely 6 weeks of use problem..

2) my rims. The paint is completely peeling and bad. Day one had some small etching around lugs. I think it either is from factory or was hauled in winter road conditions to dealer. Delivered in November..

3) my stereo turns off and on randomly. Power button sticks.

4) paneling popped off staples not holding in bedroom.

5) fuse panel one of the non used fuses light comes on. Touch it goes out so it's a solder joint...

6) couch has a cushion that a seam is coming loose.

Less than 60 days on factory warranty getting then to do it all at the same time.. Oh, and I never had a build sheet sticker, was missing..

So once it's all approved which should be just have to call for an update I have one big project going to get rid of the stairs put 3 steps instead of 2. I have measured looked at other units at an RV show. Saw one that had drawers for risers starts past the wall and before the passage door.. I will make sure to document each detail of this project.. I might even tackle Building a kit as I have to make at least two. (one me one for the I laws unit) These cougar 5th wheel stair setup is just crazy..

Other big project just finished was fixed sat dish, Switchbox and complete related rewiring. Now a switch box controls all three tvs. I can put a DVD in the Jensen player and watch on any or all tvs. I will explain more in details shortly. 15+ hours plus a couple hours mapping it out!
Dropped our unit day after Thanksgiving, picked up day after. They repaired the awning, looks / works like new. We really missed the awning after the damage in Bristol, feels good to have it back to normal. They repaired the bedroom panels, adhesive, re-staple and putty, looks really nice. Hopefully this stays now. I noticed on your post the rim problem, bummer, I thought they would provide all the units with the polished aluminum rims like ours, they look like the day we picked it up. As for our mattress, lucky there, I sleep better on this than I do at the house! Have not had any problem with our radio or fuzes, hope you get this stuff straight. I installed a Roadtrip SD satellite dome, very happy with that addition, good deal off Ebay, slid out with $242.50 plus shipping. All n' all, very happy we got the SRX, can't wait for Spring already, will use as much as we can and enjoy the camping!