Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2015, 09:45 AM   #1
MuskyHuntr

Question 294RK Wardrobe Slide Leaking...

Maiden trip with rain and found that there is a leak in the wardrobe slide... Left side, bottom shelf carpet is wet, every other shelf and including right lower shelf is all dry. Water dripping from under left side of wardrobe slide. No water seen dripping anywhere inside of slide at all.
Originally the rubber on the outside was turned in so I pulled it all out like the main slide was.. Thought for sure that was the problem and that would fix it but next night rained again and still leaking but not nearly as much..
Any suggestions how and where to start to narrow down the source of the leak?
Thanks
Mark
MuskyHuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:04 AM   #2
RamRider

try some silicone on top of the track where it meets the seal. That stopped our leak. also make sure you tt is level (side to side)
Old 05-26-2015, 05:55 AM   #3
MuskyHuntr

All the caulking around all screws and the rubber seal are all good... TT was completely level at the time we seen the problem..
I believe it has to do with the rubber seal both Inside and out... Seems like when the slide goes in and out the rubber seal sticks and gets either sucked inward when it should stay going out or staying out when it should get sucked in??
Looking at getting some of that Protect All Slide Out Rubber Seal Treatment foam to treat and lubricate it..
Even though we just bought this TT and it is like brand new it is still 2-3 years old and the heat, sun and weather can take a toll on rubber and make it dry and stick so it probably needs a cleaning and treatment to make it more soft and pliable and slide better.
Any comments on the plan of action and "Protect All Slide Out Rubber Seal Treatment". Is it an good product or is there something better to get?
MuskyHuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:56 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskyHuntr View Post
Any comments on the plan of action and "Protect All Slide Out Rubber Seal Treatment". Is it an good product or is there something better to get?
I'm not familiar with that product but I'd recommend using Aerospace303 Protectant. It can be applied in a variety of uses, including spraying directly on your rubber roof, decals and the sidewalls of your RV.

Sometimes, even after cleaning and applying the treatment to the flapper seals, they still won't turn over and come in or out as the slide retracts or extends. If, after you have treated them and they still "misbehave", you might have to look into a slide or flapper adjustment but I'm not sure if the flapper seal itself is adjustable.

Also, a visual inspection of the other seals and trim may not reveal gaps or lack of caulking and you actually have to remove them to see what , if anything in the way of caulking, lies beneath. While you have them removed, a fresh application of caulking wouldn't hurt.

Good luck with this repair.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:43 AM   #5
sptddog

If you do some searching on slide leaks, you'll find a bunch of posts where the lower bracket on the slides isn't particularly sealed well. I had this issue on my living area slide, and one side of my bedroom slide. I had to remove the white angle iron across the bottom of the slide-out and do a better job of putting butyl tape behind it. I also put silicone in the screw holes before I put them back in. There was none in mine and the screws were showing signs of rust. I also re-caulked the entire length of each slide from top to bottom with a much wider bead of silicone. The water on mine runs right along the edge of the seam from top to bottom, and while there were no visible areas for penetration, I figured the constant water drip there was just seeping under any pinholes. I found no caulk in those screws either. I did not pull that part off to add more butyl, just the bottom piece so far. I did that last July and it's held with no more leaks (crosses fingers).

There are youtube videos showing how the pieces come off and how folks have repaired them. Sadly this is one area that RV manufacturers are no good at (it's not just keystone, I read many, many others that had this issue as well). They just aren't thorough or careful enough with the caulk and tape.
sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:24 AM   #6
camreal

Seems to be common problem. I just finished resealing and caulking all the seams in the slideout. I had gaps in the edge trim pieces with openings with no seal and a number of screws loose and rusted after 5 yrs. Also have a cable needing replacement in the slideout mechanism. Im getting an education.
camreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:11 AM   #7
Pull Toy

Another thought...

Make sure that your gutters and extension are clear of debris. Good gutter flow will keep extra water off of your slider roof.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:21 AM   #8
camreal

Good thought. Out again this past weekend another leak showed up as we have had lots of rain here in Texas. It was located in the rear of the trailer where the rear wall meets the floor. The carpet was wet and turned out that water was wicking up from the strip of trim across the back of the trailer just above the bumper. Took the strip off yesterday and all the screws were rusted and very little to no caulk had been used. In the process of caulking and sealing this area. One good thing big rain while out this weekend and the slide did not leak after the reseal job on it .
camreal is offline   Reply With Quote