Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2014, 06:29 AM   #1
BirchyBoy

Convert Brisk Air 2 to thermostat control

My Passport came with the A/C controls integrated into the ceiling unit itself. I've emailed Dometic to see if they sell a conversion kit which would allow me to install a thermostat, but haven't had much success. All I got was "we don't sell a kit, you need to buy the parts separately. Here's a link to the thermostat." Is it really that easy?

My guess is I need at least two parts: the inside cover without the controls and a thermostat. Is there a control box that would need to be changed as well? For the people with the Brisk Air 2 w/thermostat, does your fan run ALL the time, even if the compressor isn't running? My book says it continues to run to ensure the climate inside is as comfortable as ever. It's really noisy and I wish it would turn off.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:40 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I have the "ducted" BriskAir II, 15000 BTU unit in our Cougar. It is the only A/C and is not an "add on" unit with roof controls mounted in the bedroom, so there may be some differences in the "inside components" but the outside, rooftop unit is the same in both applications.

I also have the Dometic digital wall mount thermostat. In operation, the fan can be set to "HI" "LO" or "AUTO". In high or low, the fan runs continuously. In auto, the fan runs on high if the "sensed temp at the thermostat" is greater than 5F above the set temp and will change to low speed once the two temperature settings are within 4F of each other. Once the A/C reaches the thermostat setting, the entire unit (compressor and fan)will turn off. Once the inside temp rises high enough to activate the thermostat, the unit will turn on again, first the fan followed closely by the compressor. It will run on high or low fan setting depending on that temp spread and once it reaches the thermostat setting, it again turns off completely.

I believe (from BriskAir A/C's in my previous trailers) that all of them with the overhead controls will run on either low or high fan settings and that there is no auto setting in which the fan will stop when the compressor stops. That, I believe, is a feature of the wall thermostat, not available on the overhead controls.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:27 AM   #3
BirchyBoy

Thanks for the details on the controller, air flow, etc. I'm hopeful that Dometic will get back with a short list of parts.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 07-03-2014, 07:36 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I believe the control box is a component of the inside panel, not a part of the rooftop component. If so, then you'd probably need to change out the control box to connect to the thermostat. I'm sure there's probably a way to 'jury rig" the existing setup to work, but I'd be reluctant to try to "guess how" from this distance without seeing any of what you currently have in use.

If you're going to use the Dometic digital thermostat, remember that there's 3 wires out of it, +12VDCm -12VDC and only one "control wire"... Strange setup using a "modulator" in the upper control box inside the A/C to manage heat, A/C and fan functions......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:46 AM   #5
BirchyBoy

Yeah, I don't want to bust stuff trying to make it better. I need to get a list of parts from Dometic. I might be able to use my existing air distribution box, just make a cover for where the controls are.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 07-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
BirchyBoy

I called Dometic and got the following part numbers for the conversion:

Control unit with thermostat: 3313189.000
Air box: 3314850.000

I'm going to pull down my air box to see if I think it can be used so I don't have to buy another one. If that is the case, this is a $100 project and seems well worth it!
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 03-26-2018, 01:53 PM   #7
russellrhinesmit

How did you make out with this conversion.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
russellrhinesmit is offline   Reply With Quote