Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
Tgribb6

Entire Front Cap being Repainted under warranty!!!

Hey guys,

I have a 2013 Outback 312bh and although it has been great, the top of the front cap started to fade after just 9 months. I had a detailer come out, compound buff, wax, and seal it but it came back after about 10 days.

Anyhow, I took the trailer in (Mike Thompson RV) last week and I was notified on Friday that Keystone has agreed to repaint the entire front cap.

This is a huge relief. I have read of some people having similar issues so I thought I would share my experience and success.

I should have the trailer back in about 2 weeks

Ty

2013 Keystone Outback 312bh
2011 Suburban 2500 LT w/ 6.0L V8

Current Mods:
1. BillsBumperQ for my Weber Q220
2. Steadyfast Stabilizer Bars
3. MaxxAir Fan Deluxe
4. Cyclone Sewer Vent

Future Mods:
1. Dirt Devil CV1500 or Something Compareable
2. Day/Night Blackout Shades
3. Rope Lights Framing the Interior of Outdoor kitchen
Tgribb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:43 AM   #2
crash

Thats great to hear.
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
Beerdude41867

I'm dealing with Keystone right now with the same issue. The dealer's vs. Keysone estimates aren't in the same ballpark. Do you know what your repair cost?
Old 02-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
J&A

Exactly what are they offering to do? I thought the front caps were made out of fiberglass with a gel-coat finish. Are they going to apply gel-coat or paint to correct the problem?

In search of my next RV
SOLD! - 2013 Terrain 299TBH
SOLD! - 2002 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L
J&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
jje1960

Fade

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&A View Post
Exactly what are they offering to do? I thought the front caps were made out of fiberglass with a gel-coat finish. Are they going to apply gel-coat or paint to correct the problem?
I must say, since reading so many posts concerning front cap fade, I am actually perplexed... I also had fade issues with our SRX, as posted a number of times, I purchased the 3M product, polished off the oxidation, problem solved. I would not want paint to be applied to the gelcoat finish of the trailer. I do very much appreciate diversity of views, just can't understand this one. Have a good weekend everyone, looking forward to Spring!!
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:46 AM   #6
J&A

I agree. I have an Outback Terrain with the same cap so I'm really interested to hear what the final manufacturer's recommendation and resolution is. At the same time, like you and many others have recommended in this forum, I have my preventive treatment ready to go over the cap and the entire trailer as soon as the weather improves. I plan to do this before the season begins and when it ends.

In search of my next RV
SOLD! - 2013 Terrain 299TBH
SOLD! - 2002 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L
J&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #7
rosede

I had the same issue last summer. Its been repainted, but the issue that I'm having now are the decals. The decal manufacturer went out of business and the decals for my camper are no longer available. I kept the camper in the body shop for four months waiting. I finally took it back in December so I could winterize it and get it put into storage for the winter.

I'll follow up next starting next month, hopefully Keystone will come up with something, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. My guess is, now that I have the camper, everyone has forgotten about it, out of sight, out of mind.

Daryl

rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #8
jje1960

Paint

My point exactly. Just removing the oxidation with the decals intact.... No paint, no waiting for the unit to get repaired.... Hope this helps others that are considering painting the cap when there is plenty of product out there to clean the oxidation.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:20 PM   #9
Bob Landry

I too am curious as to what it's being painted with. Fiberglass is gel coated, not painted. There are finishes such as those used in the marine finishes that are suitable for fiberglass, but they require a thorough knowledge of the product, special thinners and reducers, and someone on the gun that really knows the paint and what he's doing. I would question, the application of a standard automotive paint and clear coat, but I'm not a paint expert.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote