Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
HaulinHarley

Cool 300MP ramp problem/question

My 2011 300 MP toy hauler ramp rated at 3000lbs has split??? My toy with me riding it in and out weigh approx. 1000 lbs. The ramp seems to have split in the middle. I try riding in the middle of the ramp but one side or the other will sag with the weight on it.

Has anyone experienced this type of problem? Does the ramp need to be replaced?
HaulinHarley
Harley Ultra Classic
Chevy DuraMax diesel
HaulinHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
howdy
Permanent User Ban

I have heard of this happening on more than a few trailers and a couple different brands. Whether you have a keystone, heartland, or dutchman all the ramp doors are made by Lippert. The crease in the middle is supposed to be from where the 2 sheets of plywood come together that make up the ramp. Are you seeing the crease on the inside or outside of the door? There are a few write-ups around on the different forums documenting on how some people have torn apart and repaired the doors.

I believe some others have had Lippert send them a new door, but you are on the hook for shipping, new decals and installation. The doors that come from the factory that are specifically made to be used as the ramp patio are supposed to be constructed slightly different. I believe they have a layer of sheet metal on the ramp so when you have it set up as a patio and have chairs with legs on it, and it will help prevent the chair legs from poking into the door.
howdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
HaulinHarley

300 MP Ramp problem

My crease is apparent on the inside and if you look closely it shows on the outside as well. I will search for info on the Lippert doors.

Have you heard of complete failure of these ramps if not repaired?

Thanks for the info.
HaulinHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
howdy
Permanent User Ban

I don't remember of hearing of complete failure with the doors. I have heard of people having to rebuild the doors when they got real soft from water intrusion from around the top or around the hinges on the outside bottom where they had not checked the caulking and the hinges/screws were pulling out of the ramp door.
howdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
harleytravelin

2013 300 MP Raptor Ramp door split in 1 month

Brand new 2013 300MP Raptor. Aug 15, 2013 we put our 2012 Electric Glide Classic into the toy hauler for the 1st time, directly up the middle of the ramp. The first time we loaded it I noticed a line down the center, looked like someone took a Sharpie marker and drew a line down the center. The following week we loaded up the bike, excited for our maiden voyage to the Missisippi river. I noticed the line now looked more like a bubble all the way down the door. Arriving at our destination we unload bike and notice bubble is wider and there is a line on the outside of door as well. Finish our trip, load bike and decide to contact the dealer when we get home. The bike has been in contact with the ramp door less than 10 times. It is August 30th. The dealer says to bring the trailer for them to assess and make a warranty claim. Keystone decides to replace the door under warranty, we picked it up with the new door yesterday, Nov 8th.

Throughout this process of 2 months we have been trying to get clarification if this door can handle the weight of a 900 lb motorcycle with rider. The service manager at the dealer said he was going to submit claim but tell Keystone that we didn't load the bike up the center of the ramp, we disagreed and said he should tell them it was loaded up the center, a total of 5 times. We continually asked for clarification on door specs and all we were told is it should handle it but don't go up the center go to one side or the other, now anyone who rides a large bike knows that there isn't a whole lot of room to "move over" on an 8.5 foot wide ramp. We also need to consider balanced weight within the trailer when towing as well. I prefer the 900 lbs centered over the rear axles. The ramp specs are 3000 lbs and 1000 PER tire. Shouldn't be a problem but everyone advises to not go up the center. We continued to peruse this as we wanted something in writing from Keystone guaranteeing this door and how they recommend loading and unloading. The salesman said he had an email that he would forward to us, he never did and now can't find the email. The warranty runs out in February and we live in a cold climate so the bike isn't going to be going up and down. What happens if this occurs a year from now or 5 years from now? The first door split in less than a month.

When we picked up the trailer with the new door yesterday the sales manager finally called Lippert and he said "Spoke with Lippert Components regarding any restrictions on where the motorcycle should be loaded on ramp door. There are no stated stipulations on where motorcycle should be loaded, however, he suggests loading the bike off center or running bike up at an angle. There is a seam that does run up the center of the door." Before leaving dealrship, we contact the same person at Lippert components, he says "I do not know if there is a seam in the center or not. Personally, if it were my Harley, I wouldn't put it up that ramp door AT ALL." Back into the dealership I go and tell the salesman that he needs to either warranty that door for the life of trailer or he can buy the trailer back for every penny. We were very upfront about our planned use for the toy hauler, we were told by the salesman and factory rep it would be no problem.

Everyone thinks it's an anomaly of the door itself. We hope so, BUT and that is a very expensive BUT once the warranty runs out. We are supposed to hear from the RV dealers owner on Monday.

The service manager even suggested WE make the door stronger. UMMMMM.....NO, the whole reason I spent A LOT of money on a toy hauler was so I didn't have to rig up my own ramp......

Other warranty items repaired
New cushion, seams were separating, closet door latch, triangular cut in floor, moulding tape on garage to kitchen door frame creased, causing door to look cracked.

How do others load there large motorcycles, center, off center, left, right??

Happy Travels and Safe Rides to All

2013 Raptor 300MP
2012 Harley Electric Glide Classic
2012 Ford F350 DWD Diesel CrewCab with full bed
harleytravelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:26 AM   #6
Ratchet Thunderbolt

Ramp Loading

We have a 2102 Keystone Raptor Toy Hauler. I've been loading my HD Ultra Classic now for a couple of seasons now. So I have loaded the bike probably 15 times, maybe more. I load the bike on the curb side of the ramp. I do that because that's where my HD wheel chock is at. Haven't had any problems yet but after reading these posts I'll watch the ramp more closely.
Ratchet Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
FireMech

You might contact this guy I found online. He has rebuilt/repaired these ramps and knows what they are constructed of. He has pictures posted on his website of the internal construction of a Raptor ramp.

http://www.jackofalltradesbygeorge.com/index.html
Old 11-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
rnkburg

Although I don't have a Harley I do have a sportsman 600 that weighs 700 lbs and I load in the center. Of course that is on four wheels spaced out but you now have me concerned

I have a 2012 300 mp

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:15 AM   #9
crash

We have the 384pk and I have loaded my 06 fatboy and the wifes 06 sporty and our golf cart it ours to many times to count and havent had the first problem yet.
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #10
MilitaryRoamer

I have a 2007 HD Road King that I load along the left side of my Raptor. I haven't noticed anything with my door but I'll be certain to keep an eye on it from now on. (And keep my fingers crossed.)
2007 HD Road King

Me, Myself, and I. However, sometimes I don't go along with the others.
MilitaryRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
rnkburg

I do make sure that the ramp is level before loading, I have put the leveling blocks under it to make sure there is no flex

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #12
ridefxstd

Loading 2 Harleys

I load two harleys on left and right.I will watch the ramp for splits but mine looks good now because we have setup the garage for left or right side hauling.If we only take one bike it goes on the side setup for that bike (tire sized chock).It never affects how the trailer pulls down the road where ever the bike sits.
ridefxstd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #13
PhillipsMK

I carry a Heritage Softtail in our '13 310TS, loaded on the left side. After a lot of on and offs on our 3 month trip, a groove was worn in the ramp door. Took the trailer to dealer for warranty repairs and the door is being replaced. It took almost 3 months to get the new door and is now being installed. Still waiting on the decals and a couple of other parts.
2002 HD Heritage Softtail Classic
PhillipsMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #14
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Is this problem being seen on ramps having the optional porch option? When I inquired about the porch option as to can it be added by the dealer, answer was no that it required a special reinforced ramp??
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #15
Bombfixer

The patio option for the rear ramp uses a reinforced ramp that is not as susceptible to the splitting. That was one of the reasons I got the patio option..

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk