Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2019, 09:00 AM   #1
kaju65

Microwave Problem

Hello all! I have a 2013 Bullet 212RBS. I'm having an issue with the microwave in our trailer. The microwave has power but the control panel doesn't respond. I've tried shutting power to the unit in an attempt to reset it but still nothing. I'm thinking I'll just have to replace it. My question is, do you think I can replace it with a household microwave or do I have to order a factory replacement? From the outside it looks and functions like a household unit. As long as I can find one with the same dimensions do you think I could just use it instead of a factory one?
kaju65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:35 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaju65 View Post
Hello all! I have a 2013 Bullet 212RBS. I'm having an issue with the microwave in our trailer. The microwave has power but the control panel doesn't respond. I've tried shutting power to the unit in an attempt to reset it but still nothing. I'm thinking I'll just have to replace it. My question is, do you think I can replace it with a household microwave or do I have to order a factory replacement? From the outside it looks and functions like a household unit. As long as I can find one with the same dimensions do you think I could just use it instead of a factory one?

If like mine the simple answer is no. I tried using just a general home microwave and there were significant differences even though the dimensions were the same. The home unit went to my daughter to take to her office and I bought an RV unit that fit exactly and has worked perfectly since 11/9/17.

https://www.amazon.com/Advent-MW912B...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

The above is the link to the one I bought. Much more expensive than the cheaper home units at Walmart but an exact fit and much heavier to sit in the cabinet. I got the one with the trim surround to make sure I had it but the old one worked. I have no idea where the new one I didn't use went to.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
dwall

Before you replace pull it out and check the fuse inside. It should be close to where the power cord comes into the cabinet of microwave.
dwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

I've been waiting for years for mine to die. I'd like to replace it with a microwave/convection combo when it does.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #5
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If like mine the simple answer is no. I tried using just a general home microwave and there were significant differences even though the dimensions were the same. The home unit went to my daughter to take to her office and I bought an RV unit that fit exactly and has worked perfectly since 11/9/17.

https://www.amazon.com/Advent-MW912B...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

The above is the link to the one I bought. Much more expensive than the cheaper home units at Walmart but an exact fit and much heavier to sit in the cabinet. I got the one with the trim surround to make sure I had it but the old one worked. I have no idea where the new one I didn't use went to.
Danny just a note of interest what was the difference you found in the RV vs. House microwave?

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:52 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Joe,

This is from memory which at this age is....you get the picture.

The units were the same size. The weights were significantly different (interior construction). When I got the home unit I found they were constructed differently as far as mounting brackets etc. I tried to remove the parts from the old one and place on the new but the interior mounting holes etc. were all different so I was unable to do so. I could have "made" the cheaper home unit work, marginally IMO, but it wasn't worth the effort to me so chose to buy the unit meant for the trailer. It was an exact replacement and extremely easy to put in - I'm happy I did. Thought about changing to a convection microwave but couldn't find one that would fit without extensive mods and didn't think it was worth it.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:28 PM   #7
66joej

Thanks Danny. Worth remembering and good info for the forum.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:02 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

I had a Forest River Wildwood toy hauler awhile back. Microwave died and I went down to Walmart and bought one of the same dimensions. There are brackets that screwed onto the old unit that held it in place and I used those on the replacement after drilling a couple small holes and used sheet metal screws. The old unit had a shroud to hide the gaps and I used it for the new one. Looked and worked like factory and didn't seem any heavier. I paid less than $50 for the replacement if memory serves. Served us well while we owned that camper.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:44 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I had a Forest River Wildwood toy hauler awhile back. Microwave died and I went down to Walmart and bought one of the same dimensions. There are brackets that screwed onto the old unit that held it in place and I used those on the replacement after drilling a couple small holes and used sheet metal screws. The old unit had a shroud to hide the gaps and I used it for the new one. Looked and worked like factory and didn't seem any heavier. I paid less than $50 for the replacement if memory serves. Served us well while we owned that camper.

And something like this may work for the OP. I bought my first replacement at Walmart as well...$53. I could have drilled some holes through the new unit from the old brackets but some would have been not optimal to me - the trim ring did not fit without more mods. The weights were dramatically different; whether to make the unit more stable I don't know. I like using things made for their purpose. In my life I've modified I couldn't begin to say how many things to do what I wanted vs the "built for"/made for this units. Lots of options for folks and just depends on how one wants to address the "issue".